Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers players with voidable contracts & guaranteed money concerns.

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Lightbulb Steelers players with voidable contracts & guaranteed money concerns.

There are important players all over the league currently in contracts that can be voided in one fashion or another. Either because there are clauses in the actual deal itself or because their guaranteed money will soon be over, etc. I came across this article that talks about not only the verbiage involved in the new CBA with issues like this but also some key Steelers players who are in this scenario.

Chances are, unless you have a job as a corporate lawyer, the verbiage of an NFL contract is about as coherent as that Shakespeare play they made you read in high school. Here’s one of my favorites, let’s see if you can make heads or tails of Article XXXIV, Section 7, sub-section ii, paragraph c, part iii of the Collective Bargaining Agreement which reads,

At the end of a season, if performance bonuses previously included in a Team's Team Salary but not actually earned exceed performance bonuses actually earned but not previously included in Team Salary, an amount shall be added to the Team's Salary Cap for the next League Year equaling the amount, if any, by which such overage exceeds the Team's Room under the Salary Cap at the end of a season.”

For me, I don't buy that the Steelers would even consider letting Woodley go or Lawrence Timmons right now or in the next several years. Harrison though may be one where due to his age and money he'll definitely be asked to restructure in the coming years. It wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that he's asked to take an actual pay cut or eventually released before his deal is actually up. Clearly this writer is also assuming that they are going to give Rashard Mendenhall a new contract, but that's no guarantee by any stretch right now.

James Harrison, LB, Pittsburgh Steelers:
    This outspoken linebacker’s time in the Steel City may be coming to a close thanks to 2012 being the end of the $20 million guaranteed portion of his contract. In 2009, Harrison signed a 6 year, $51.75 million contract, but unfortunately for him, the biggest dollar amounts come in his last two years. If kept, the Steelers would owe Harrison $10.658 million and $11.69 million in 2013 and 2014. For a 34 year old linebacker whose production just went from 100 tackles in 2010 to 59 tackles in 2011, the writing may be on the wall.

LaMarr Woodley, LB, Pittsburgh Steelers: Is 9 sacks worth $700,000 in the NFL? Yes, Woodley’s 2012 base salary is a steal for the kind of stats he puts up -- but is 9 sacks worth $13.24 million? This is question the Steelers will have to answer as their star linebacker’s salary is about to go sky-high in 2013. Woodley will jump up to being the second highest paid linebacker in the NFL when his salary cap hit will average $12.21 million over the final four years of his contract. Since Woodley’s money is not guaranteed, he may turn into a salary cap casualty after this season.

Lawrence Timmons, LB, Pittsburgh Steelers: You read right, the Steelers are about to have a lot of big decisions to make. All three of their linebackers are set to get huge raises as Timmons also moves up with a cap hit of $8.6, $10.03, $10.78 and $10.3 million for each of his final four years respectively. At only 25 years old, Timmons is the youngest, and cheapest, or the three, so he should be safe for now. The real question is who Timmons will be playing beside in the future. Pittsburgh had better win now because, assuming they pay Mike Wallace, Rashard Mendenhall will also be a free agent next season, and Big Ben’s salary is about to hit their cap hard, to the tune of about $20 million per. Some of these players are going to be left without a chair once the music ends.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    We should note that most contracts have some form of guaranteed money in the them these days. The maximum amount usually ranges around 35-40 percent of the total contract value. Obviously the higher priced players are the ones more at risk for restructures or releases.

Aww man. I was feeling really positive too so far today, haha.
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

I wouldnt mind seeing Harrison go after this season, we need Timmons and Woodley though. Not trying to knock James but after this year he wont be worth that money at all.

Most logical choice is to restructure or let Harrison walk (at some point). LT and Woody are too young and talented. Regarding Mendenhall, coming off an injury, he could be retained at a significant discount, especially if he sees little or no playing time this season due to his knee - or a productive year by Redman.

First and 2nd round trade coming up

My Mood
    Roflol
    I agree on Woodley and Timmons. Both young and still productive. Harrison is another animal literally and figuratively. I've said previously to this that this could be Harrison's last year in Pitt. This year will definately be a big determaning factor. If he misses significant games again with injury my guess is he'll be gone. If he's healthy I don't see his production dropping off that much. Physically he's in very good shape. But being 34 takes a toll on a person. And for as high a level as he's been playing at since becoming a starter, if that level is greaty reduced because of injury then the money he makes won't match and he'll be cut loose.
    Fear da Beard

I don't always post, but when I do its on SteelerAddicts.com

Sponsered by the following:
    Cookies, Air, TP

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    At some point, it's a younger man's game.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

It certainly makes the most sense to let Harrison go. He has a bad rap with the commish (and will probably be suspended by the time 2012 is done), has had some injuries the last few years, and is getting up there in age.

We need to keep Timmons and Wood, and hopefully Worlids OLB, Sly ILB, or Spence ILB will pan out.

Hopefully the group of RB we have now (Redman, Dwyer, Clay, Batch) will work well together and we can say goodbye to Mendy too.
    Last edited by SnakeEyes43; 05-17-2012 at 10:34 AM.
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

My Mood
    Frustrated
    Quote Originally Posted by SnakeEyes43 View Post
    It certainly makes the most sense to let Harrison go. He has a bad rap with the commish (and will probably be suspended by the time 2012 is done), has had some injuries the last few years, and is getting up there in age.

We need to keep Timmons and Wood, and hopefully Worlids OLB, Sly ILB, or Spence ILB will pan out.

Hopefully the group of RB we have now (Redman, Dwyer, Clay, Batch) will work well together and we can say goodbye to Mendy too.
    So now we have to draft another LB and another RB.... Those stats are due to injuries ladies and gentlemen! Let this season play out before we start worrying about replacing key figures to the leagues #1 defense....

Thread Information