Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wallace still in no hurry to sign his offer

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Wallace still in no hurry to sign his offer

Latest update on Wallace according to Adam Schefter is of course that we won't see Mike Wallace for some time most likely.

Doesn't much matter at this point, the Steelers will move forward with or without him. He's only hurting himself and his teammates by pulling such a pointless stunt.

Rookie minicamps have concluded for all 32 NFL teams. Next up: Organized Team Activities (OTAs), which have kindly been described as "
    walk-throughs at best." Translation: OTAs are helpful for rookies making the transition from college but not particularly helpful for veterans entrenched with a team or a system.

And if Bruce Arians was still the Steelers' offensive coordinator, it would make the reports that wide receiver Mike Wallace has no intentions of signing his restricted free-agent tender barely newsworthy. But Pittsburgh and Arians parted ways this offseason, coach Mike Tomlin hired Todd Haley as Arians' replacement, and Haley is bringing an entirely new offense with him. Which means that it would be in Wallace's best interests to show up, learn Haley's offense, and let his agent and the organization hammer out the details of a long-term deal.

But just as we wrote on April 11 and April 22, Wallace will take his sweet time signing a one-year tender offer that will pay him $2.7 million in 2012.

As of Tuesday, nothing's changed. At least according to ESPN's Adam Schefter, who said on NFL Live that "it may be awhile" before Wallace shows his face at Steelers' headquarters.

As CBSSports.com's Pete Prisco tweeted in April: "I love when players like Mike Wallace say they won't sign tender offer until they have to. Who's that hurting?"

Especially when there's a shiny new playbook waiting for Wallace. Last week, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was asked what had changed with Haley's offense. “Everything," he said during an appearance on the Rich Eisen Podcast. "The similarities would be on a shorter list. Off the top of my head, from what I've seen so far, there's a 90 percent change.”

But it's Wallace's right to sit on his couch, even if, ultimately, the team holds most of the leverage. If he doesn't sign his tender by June 15, the Steelers could reduce his $2.7 million salary for next season to $577,000, although that isn't expected to happen. General manager Kevin Colbert said in February that the hope is to lock Wallace up long term.

And now that Wallace has made it through free agency without any offer sheets from WR-needy teams, he doesn't have many options. He can sign his tender offer and show up, or he can wait it out at home. For the time being, Wallace has chosen the latter. There is good news though: Antonio Brown, the next great young Steelers wide receiver said way back in March that he was quite certain that Wallace would be playing for Pittsburgh in 2012. So there's that.

Once all the draftees are signed, besides wallace who is left?

That will make cutting salaries the next priority and fitting wallace in under the cap right?

What was the new IR rule can the players come back during the season and do salaries count for IR players?

Wes Welker signed his oh wait he's a true pro not a wannabe!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

2nd String
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post

lmao really ?? ... isn't Wes for like 9.5 Mill ??? ... hasn't Wes been in the league a while and had a decent/good contract for a while now???

isn't Wallace coming off his rookie contract ... where he was what a 3rd round pick ??? so what he didn't make over a mill in a year yet ... and i think everybody can agree he out played his rookie contract with no complaints ...

i agree it's stupid to not just sign it and work on a long term ... or just show up and let them work on a long term ... but ultimately that's both what Pitt and Wallace want is a long term deal ...

he did get 9.5 mill he wil get traded next year for a 1st round and maybe more.
    the pats way of draft picks.

welker has 9.5 million reasons not to hold out, which is plenty for a slot WR in a super slot WR friendly system.

hes not worth anywhere close to that for 90% of the teams out there

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    welker has 9.5 million reasons not to hold out, which is plenty for a slot WR in a super slot WR friendly system.

hes not worth anywhere close to that for 90% of the teams out there
    Thats why he will be traded this year or 2013 for a few top round picks...

Welker is consistant year in and year out and should be paid like Wallace wants. Wallace hasn't proved **** to me yet! WOW he can catch a deep ball once in a while but when you need him he's not there. His diva came out mid season last year when Brown started ball'n out of his mind!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Welker is consistant year in and year out and should be paid like Wallace wants. Wallace hasn't proved **** to me yet! WOW he can catch a deep ball once in a while but when you need him he's not there. His diva came out mid season last year when Brown started ball'n out of his mind!
    actually the year that the pats didnt have moss and had a rookie gronkowski welker was pure ****. Once gronk turned into a man beast welker put up some of his best numbers.

do not let that gimmicky offense and welkers high number of short catches fool you, hes a slot WR. And i think its COMPLETELY laughable that the first half of last season everyone said wallace=top 5 WR but because of a contract issue hes now a diva, soft, and only good for a "deep ball once in a while"

My Mood
    Addicted
    I don't care what Welker got, it has no bearing on what the Steelers decide to do or offer him. If he wants money in the 9 to 10 million dollar range he would be making more than Ben, Troy, Timmons, or Woodley (I think). No way, no how he gets it from the Steelers.

Quote from above:

But it's Wallace's right to sit on his couch, even if, ultimately, the team holds most of the leverage. If he doesn't sign his tender by June 15, the Steelers could reduce his $2.7 million salary for next season to $577,000, although that isn't expected to happen. General manager Kevin Colbert said in February that the hope is to lock Wallace up long term.

If the hickdead is dumb enough to have his own salary reduced from 2.7 million to $577,000 to prove a point I would trade him for stupidity alone. See ya, Mike!

C-town

Thread Information