Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The love affair the national media has with the Bengals draft.

Bookmark and Share

The love affair the national media has with the Bengals draft.

I was listening to ESPN radio today and Kyper (like a lot of people) said the Bengals had the best draft. He went as far to say he may pick the Bengals to win the AFC North. Really? Am I missing something?

I respected Jeff Fisher's comment that you have to be aware of the teams in your division and draft to beat them. Did the Bengals do that? I do not think so. They drafted a DB that cannot stay with T Smith from Baltimore or Wallace, and they do not have anyone on their roster to do so. From what I understand, he is a physical corner, not a cover speed guy to hang with the likes of Wallace.

Then they trade out of their 2nd first round pick and let the best guard prospect in some time fall in the Steelers lap.

The Bengals may have addressed their needs and they had a good draft in the subsequent rounds. I feel however they screwed up royally in the first round. They could have had DeCastro, but instead passed on him twice and drafted a DB who will get torched by the WR's in Baltimore and Pittsburgh.

Overall the Bengals did ok, but giving your rivals the best talent in his position in a decade and drafting a kid that does not match up perfect with your opponents just does not make sense to me.

Agree or disagree?

My Mood
    Manic
    I thought Kiper was off his rocker too! clearly a Steeler hater. There is no doubt the Steelers had the best draft in the AFC and possibly the entire league. I can't think of a better draft this year without a bunch of trading

So ya'll don't believe the Bungles claim that they had Zeitler and DeCastro rated equally? http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/4/27...ranked-equally

I know that we had a great draft, and most importantly as a fan we addressed the areas that needed improvement. But hey we are all fans so I went and found someone who isn't .... Vegas: and needless to say we are twice as likely to win the SB than the vaunted Bungles. http://www.bankrollsports.com/blog/2012-superbowl-odds/
    I like big hits and I cannot lie

Waterboy
    Just the orange and black cool aid...

well lets figure...

a 1,1,2,3,3,3,5,5,5,5 and whatever more how can you miss.

i dont get after 8 years of top picks how can they afford the salary cap?

I don't understand what the issue is? You have to hate Bengals so much that you are in denial if you neglect the fact that Bengals had an amazing draft right on par with the Steelers.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

My Mood
    Manic
    Quote Originally Posted by JensK View Post
    I don't understand what the issue is? You have to hate Bengals so much that you are in denial if you neglect the fact that Bengals had an amazing draft right on par with the Steelers.
    I'm a Steelers fan of course i hate the bengals? 10 picks in the first 5 rounds of course it was a great draft for them but how could it not be?The fact that they rated Zeitler the same as DeCastro says it all Zeitler is good but not as good as DeCastro .DeCastro's feet are better he's quicker and has smoother technique.I'm gonna say that Cincy is our biggest roadblock in the AFC North this year now that Suggs is down for part or all of the season

Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    I'm a Steelers fan of course i hate the bengals? 10 picks in the first 5 rounds of course it was a great draft for them but how could it not be?The fact that they rated Zeitler the same as DeCastro says it all Zeitler is good but not as good as DeCastro .DeCastro's feet are better he's quicker and has smoother technique.I'm gonna say that Cincy is our biggest roadblock in the AFC North this year now that Suggs is down for part or all of the season
    You can hate Bengals alright, but you can still be an objective person while doing so. Claiming they had a bad draft because you hate them is just stupid. Also, how does it make their draft worse than ours because they had more picks? If anything I'd say it shows that they knew how to deal with their picks and players properly. Much like another team which most of us hate, Patriots. Only, you cannot really question the success of The Patriots. As for picking Zeitler over Decastro: That is not really what they did though. They knew they needed an OG, but they also knew they needed a lot of other positions. Steelers was not in the position so they could just snack him and call it a day. Bengals still got a very good OG plus more picks, which is what they were after - how is that not having a good draft?

My point is, no one is saying Steelers had a terrible draft or anything, including myself. That is, however, not to say that Bengals draft sucked.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Bengals had a top 5 draft. Pains me to say it but that is true. But....if they actually think Ziegler is equal to Castro then that type of thinking tells me we have little to no worries from that organazation.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    Bengals had a top 5 draft. Pains me to say it but that is true. But....if they actually think Ziegler is equal to Castro then that type of thinking tells me we have little to no worries from that organazation.
    Well, they may not have thought that they are equal but probably not too far off each other which may be right. Again, Bengals did not need one or two impact players, they needed a bunch and drafted accordingly.

Thread Information