Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Myron Rolle poised to make team

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

Myron Rolle poised to make team

By Mark Kaboly
    Tribune-Review

Published: Saturday, May 5, 2012, 12:30 a.m.
    Updated 3 hours ago

Myron Rolle has had conversations with Jesse Jackson and rubbed elbows with Bill Clinton during a humanitarian trip to the Republic of Congo last summer.

He graduated Florida State’s pre-med program in 2½ years with a 3.75 GPA; he has scrubbed in for surgeries as a shadow; was awarded a prestigious Rhodes Scholarship; and received a master’s degree from Oxford University in medical anthropology.

But that just scratches the surface for this 25-year-old.

Rolle has had his own foundation for three years, he’s in the process of obtaining funding to open a free health services clinic and sports complex in his parents’ native land of the Bahamas and plans on finishing his medical degree and becoming a philanthropic neurosurgeon.

But the one thing that the Steelers safety has yet to accomplish is what drives him the most – making an NFL roster.

That might change this year, as Rolle was on the field Friday at the team’s minicamp for the first time since he signed with the Steelers in January.

“I think I have a decent shot if I do what I have to do,” Rolle said. “If I meet the standard of what Coach (Mike) Tomlin and the Steelers’ organization requires, I think I can put myself in position to earn a spot.”

After skipping a year of football to study abroad, the most success the three-year starting safety at Florida State has seen since being a sixth-round pick of Tennessee in 2010 was a year on the Titans’ practice squad.

Rolle, who is cousins with Giants safety Antrel Rolle and former Ravens cornerback Samari Rolle, went through a second training camp with the Titans last year but was released during the final cut down.

“I appreciated Jeff Fisher and the Titans for giving me that chance,” Rolle said. “I definitely appreciate Coach Tomlin and the Steelers giving me a chance here.”

Rolle signed a futures deal with the Steelers in January and provides a breath of youth into a position quickly aging. Ryan Clark is 32, Troy Polamalu is 31, Will Allen is 29 and Ryan Mundy is 27.

Rolle could provide what Allen did for the team last year — backup at both safety positions while playing special teams at a saving of nearly $1 million.

Rolle believes he is back in football shape after being away from the game for a year. He believes that’s what hurt him in Tennessee.

“Being in Oxford, where the weather isn’t great and rugby is probably the most important sport there, it is hard to stay in shape and do the things you need to do to play in the NFL,” Rolle said.

Even with his unique educational background and aspirations of becoming a neurosurgeon, football is something that Rolle is completed dedicated to now.

“After football is done, I hope my hands are still in good shape and I don’t have many concussions, so I will be able to perform surgeries on operating tables and travel and learn different cultures,” Rolle said.

Possibly losing two careers with one freak accident on the football field isn’t something Rolle dwells on.

“I can’t think about it because that will slow me down and I wouldn’t be as good a player as I possibly could be,” Rolle said. “If you look at it rationally, sure I am taking a chance, but life is about taking chances. I am excited about my opportunity here.”

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I'm rooting for Rolle big time its hard not do......He is such a class act as a human being.......

My Mood
    Ornery
    He may be a long-shot to make the team but I'm hoping he does! High character, intelligent kid!
    The Tradition Continues!!!

If hes physically ready, do you think he really needs a year to learn DL's defense.. This guy isnt claiborne with a 4 on his wonderlic...

I hope he is ready to go, we need a gamble to pay off this year in the DB department. Rolle and Cortez are my picks.

How many times did harrison try to make the team?

My Mood
    Fine
    Rooting for him. I also think Cortez Allen starts at FS and never gives it back. Myron Rolle will take Will Allens spot.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Rolle certainly has the NFL bloodlines.

He has come to the right organization to maximize his chances to make the NFL:

Doug Legursky
    James Harrison
    Fast Willie Parker
    Jeff Reed

Here's wishing him the best, he was rated a #2 round propect coming out of college. Did we strike gold again? Time will tell.

C-town
    Last edited by ChucktownSteeler; 05-05-2012 at 03:33 PM.

Waterboy
    I really hope he makes the team, and makes some big plays for us.

My Mood
    Manic
    I know everyone wants Cortez @ free safety but why not hope he plays corner a big fast corner is what we need let Rolle and cromartie -smith and the other Safties duke it out and keep Cortez at corner he is fast enough

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    I know everyone wants Cortez @ free safety but why not hope he plays corner a big fast corner is what we need let Rolle and cromartie -smith and the other Safties duke it out and keep Cortez at corner he is fast enough
    AGREED!!!It's time to cut the dead weight.Mundy,Allen, and some of that dead weight on the o-line,I'm pulling for Rolle he is a class act and a very intelligent young man
    Last edited by HUNT4SEVEN; 05-05-2012 at 10:08 PM.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Cortez Allen played in the dime defense last year but I don't know that he's ready to take over at FS and unseat Clark just yet? He's in the mix to start, possibly even has the upper hand over Curtis Brown at this point.

Don't count out Keenan Lewis either though, I think he's poised to break out.

As far as Rolle goes, there's some opportunity but behind the 2 draft picks from last year and Lewis there may only be 1 spot left. If stick him at Safety he'd be fighting it out with Will Allen.

Thread Information