Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Congrats to Ben Roethlisberger on getting his degree

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Congrats to Ben Roethlisberger on getting his degree

Tweeted out today by Miami of Ohio, @MiamiRedHawks: Congratulations to @steelers QB #BigBen Roethlisberger on receiving his #MiamiU degree today

Here's an article from USA today about it.

Here's a picture you don't see every commencement. The new graduate, smiling with family, holds up his diploma in his right hand. On the same hand — the championship ring from Super Bowl XLIII.

Now on the stage, receiving his certificate, Benjamin T. Roethlisberger.
    "How could I tell my children one day how important an education is, if I didn't have one?" Roethlisberger explained. "This is pretty special to me. I'm proud to not just say I'm an alum. Now I'm a graduate."

That's why he was here Sunday morning, marching with 600 fellow classmates in the Miami School of Education, Health & Society. Just another guy in a red gown and white sash, walking slowly in to Pomp and Circumstance, then taking his seat in the ninth row. All this, nine years after he left Oxford for the Steelers.

Most of the assembly didn't know Roethlisberger was coming. When he suddenly appeared in the lineup with his class, the cell phones quickly came out and the texting began.

"I'm going to be sitting there thinking, 'When I was in college, this person (next to him) was probably in middle school,' " Roethlisberger said before the ceremony. "I'm going to be the old man out there, but it's worth it.' "

Worth it, because he promised his parents in 2003, when he left Miami four credits short for the NFL, that one day he would graduate.

Lots of pro-bound athletes say that, but how many end up meaning it? A career gets in the way. Money gets in the way. Life gets in the way. In this case, winning two Super Bowls got in the way.

"I had every intention," he said of graduating. "Actually, I didn't think it'd take this long."
    Roethlisberger's autumns have been kind of busy. And something always seemed to prevent him from enrolling in time for the winter term. AFC Championship Games, for instance.

But the Steelers were quick outs against Denver the past season — consult any Tim Tebow fan for details — and the morning after the defeat, his Miami academic advisor sent him an email. Roethlisberger figured it was a note of condolence. Instead, it was a call to class.

Roethlisberger was in the red zone for his diploma. Time to get it done.
    "He responded in less than 20 minutes," said Melissa Chase, associate dean. "He never asked for a shortcut. It was always, 'What do I need to do?' He did everything we asked of him.
    "I know this was always a very important goal for him."

What they asked of him at the end included a paper on Tibet. "Which I knew nothing about it," he said. Analyzing the New England defense was never like this. But luckily wife Ashley, with two degrees, makes a swell study buddy. He ended up with an A, and possibly more knowledge of Tibet than any quarterback in the NFL.
    Done and done. Sunday would be a fine early Mother's Day present.

"Nine years later," Roethlisberger said, "we finally got it. … When I told my parents, my mom teared up."

There was never a question of not marching. This day was for the family. Audrey Roethlisberger's first reaction at seeing her grandson in a graduation gown? "It fits."

The NFL has its brightly-lit, center-stage emotions. There's something more quaint about a graduate glowing at commencement, even one wearing a small jewelry store on his right hand. Roethlisberger has not had many better days that did not include touchdown passes.

"To me, this is as just as big, if not bigger, than winning the Super Bowl. This is the Super Bowl in life.''

So when's the work start on the master's degree?
    "I'm done writing papers.''

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Yeah have to really be proud of Ben for going back and getting his degree. It's not like he'll ever need the money to rely on it after he's retired but keeping his word and being an example to his future kids is very important.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Something to be proud of indeed and it sets a great example.

C-town

My Mood
    Ornery
    Doubt if he's gonna need his degree to find gainful employment after his career ends....but something to very proud of!
    The Tradition Continues!!!

I'm impressed. I think it says a lot about how Ben's priorities seem to have gotten straight over the past couple of years.

My Mood
    Manic
    props ben

There's no doubt that Ashley has changed him. Congrats Ben, and thank you Ashley.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

I wish my wife would change me! Instead all she does is bitch at me! lol

Glad to see Ben got er done!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

From Peter King:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter King
    4. I think it was good to see Ben Roethlisberger walking with the grads at Miami (Ohio) University Sunday. Roethlisberger got his Bachelor of Science in Education eight years after leaving campus for the NFL. What's not good is the petty attacks Roethlisberger took when I threw out kudos Saturday on Twitter. Those are the people who refuse to believe a person can change and grow, and who revel in keeping their opinions static. Roethlisberger, these people are certain, has abused women and thus will always be an abuser, and he can never move forward in his life.

I'm not sure who Ben Roethlisberger is right now, and I'm not sure if he'll ever be the kind of person you'd want your kids to emulate. But what I am sure of is this: People are capable of changing, and very often do change when tumultuous events rake their lives. That, however, is something none of you Twitter abusers believe can happen.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/Sports%20gallery/Pittsburgh%20sports/Pittsburgh%20Steelers%20-%206X%20Super%20Bowl%20champions/PGH256A.jpg
    Six Lombardi Trophies: Not coming soon to a city near you.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    For those interested here's a pic of him in his graduation gear courtesy of BleacherReport

Thread Information