Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wes Lyons moved to Tight End for Steelers

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Lightbulb Wes Lyons moved to Tight End for Steelers

Reported a little while ago that the Steelers have moved WR Wes Lyons to TE now. @MarkKaboly_Trib: #steelers have moved Wes Lyons to tight end. At 6-9 260, he is a beast.

This is shaping up to be quite a crowded position and should be a good one to keep track of as the offseason moves a long. Let's be honest, is there really a clear cut favorite behind Heath Miller?

Free agent Leonard Pope figures to make the roster as the primary backup to Heath but beyond that, assuming they keep 3 on the active final roster, it's really a shoot out at this point.

David Johnson - primary full back duties most of his career with the occasion quick pass from Ben. He signed his 1 yr. tender but it's not a given that he makes the team. If you want a FB, I say put Legursky back there when needed. He's done it before in goal line type situations.

Wes Saunders - Suspended the first 4 weeks of the season but can still work out during offseason and training camp. Seemed to be a favorite heading into 2012 but no guarantee in my opinion. He's got good hands and is a talented, hungry, kid looking to make a name for himself after being a UDFA heading into last year.

David Paulson - The rookie 7th round draft pick, good size at 6'4" 241 lbs. He's a lean 6'4" so he'll need to bulk up to be able to block at the NFL but does have decent hands and a quick step off the line.

Wes Lyons - signed last season but then released in September, he's back for another shot at the time. Huge target as Kaboly mentioned. He won't outrun anyone but if he can get his blocking down and elevate his receiving game he could be someone to watch. He was never going to make the roster as a WR last year, but he could find a home at TE. Long shot IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Reported a little while ago that the Steelers have moved WR Wes Lyons to TE now. @MarkKaboly_Trib: #steelers have moved Wes Lyons to tight end. At 6-9 260, he is a beast.

This is shaping up to be quite a crowded position and should be a good one to keep track of as the offseason moves a long. Let's be honest, is there really a clear cut favorite behind Heath Miller?

Free agent Leonard Pope figures to make the roster as the primary backup to Heath but beyond that, assuming they keep 3 on the active final roster, it's really a shoot out at this point.

David Johnson - primary full back duties most of his career with the occasion quick pass from Ben. He signed his 1 yr. tender but it's not a given that he makes the team. If you want a FB, I say put Legursky back there when needed. He's done it before in goal line type situations.

Wes Saunders - Suspended the first 4 weeks of the season but can still work out during offseason and training camp. Seemed to be a favorite heading into 2012 but no guarantee in my opinion. He's got good hands and is a talented, hungry, kid looking to make a name for himself after being a UDFA heading into last year.

David Paulson - The rookie 7th round draft pick, good size at 6'4" 241 lbs. He's a lean 6'4" so he'll need to bulk up to be able to block at the NFL but does have decent hands and a quick step off the line.

Wes Lyons - signed last season but then released in September, he's back for another shot at the time. Huge target as Kaboly mentioned. He won't outrun anyone but if he can get his blocking down and elevate his receiving game he could be someone to watch. He was never going to make the roster as a WR last year, but he could find a home at TE. Long shot IMO.
    saunders is the best out of all of them behind heath....just blocks his *** off and is a good receiver. suspension could screw him hard though

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    That's what I'm thinking too. If he didn't have the off the field problems he would have been drafted last season. Now this issue, even if it wasn't technically something he did wrong, he's still going to suffer for it.

Maybe they carry 2 TE's on the active roster for the first month and keep Saunders around as the 3rd for when his suspension is over.

Draft Pick
    I wouldn't be surprised if Pope doesn;t make the final cut. He's basically nothing more than insurance and cheap insurance at that. He's a penalty machine(similar to Kemo) and isn't a particularly good blocker so there's really no reason to keep him if someone else shows some upside.My guess is If Paulson shows anything Pope is gone. Depending on how Will Johnson pans out David Johnson might be gone as well.

Supposedly Wes Lyons ran a 4.6 at his pro day workout which would make him the fastest TE we have.
    Last edited by strummerfan; 05-04-2012 at 04:52 PM.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    I dont see DJ making the squad, honestly
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

My Mood
    Fine
    I want Will Johnson over DJ. They should try DJ out as a Guard he might have a better shot.

My Mood
    Fine
    Todd Haley has plans for all this talent.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Imagine the running game with Lyons, at 260 pounds in line with the rest of the O-line???
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

One of you guys was saying Saunders was in violation with asthma medication or something? Far cry from PED's or pot, coc, etc.

Regarding Saunders, every opportunity had a shelf life; he'd better make the most of this one.

My Mood
    Manic
    pAULSON IS mATT SPAETH recarnated

Thread Information