Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it too early to predict another Super Bowl championship for the Steelers?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Fine

Is it too early to predict another Super Bowl championship for the Steelers?

The reason I ask this is because I am convinced our draft was practically perfect ...

We got our plug-n-play Guard ...

We got what is very likely our plug-n-play OT ...

Therefore our O-line clearly will have more depth and more talent than any previous year in my alzheimer's laden memory ...

We got one hell of a competitor at ILB ... a kid who will likely play too fast and too inspired in LeBeau's defense to keep off the field ... a kid who will likely free up Timmons to be more wreckless ... the speed we now have inside at LB will likely keep opposing offenses practically one dimensional ...

We were able to retain the services of WR Jericho Cotchery ... which means we have four (4) really solid and starter capable WR's on this team ... all who are dangerous playmakers in their own right ...

We beefed up our short yardage packages on offense by adding TE Leonard Pope, a beast of a blocking TE who will absolutely need to be considered by opposing defenses when he's on the field ...

By default we have upgraded our starting unit at the corner, due to Willie Gay leaving town ... while Gay was beginning to develop and was able to make sporadic plays, he was undersized and was exploited often by opposing offenses ... I am convinced that Keenan Lewis is ready to step in ... I am also convinced that we have enough young depth there that somebody (anybody) will be a virtual upgrade over what Gay brought to the field ...

Weaknesses? ... You bet! ... We are only as good on defense as Troy is healthy ... it has been that way for years now ... one player makes THAT much of a difference! ... We still have Suisham kicking our field goals, which means our stomachs will cringe every time he steps onto the field in those moments ... the health (and therefore the dominance) of Woodley and Harrison will make or break the dominance of our defense, even though I am very satisfied that we have adequate depth at LB ... those two guys are a rung higher than 95% of the outside LB's in the NFL and need to be playing peak football together once again for the Steelers to get back to a championship caliber team ... Runningbacks? ... We know we have some young kids there, and we know we don't have an elite NFL RB there ... one or several of those kids needs to play big for us right out of the gates ...

We've visited several Super Bowls with many of our core veterans ... and we have the talent around them to be damn excited heading into 2012 ...

I'll be going to camp this summer to watch these kids in pads ... can't wait frankly ... the journey has begun and I feel something very special could be possible ...
    It's hip to T-Squared ...

i dont think troy is that much of an impact anymore....they dont just live and die by him

steelers are clear favorites in the AFC after the domination i like to call the 2012 NFL draft. Biggest weaknesses all could be turned into biggest strengths

cant wait to see what todd haley can do with the offense and cant wait to see what carnell lake does with the DBs

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    It's a bit premature to say Championship but we are strongly headed in that direction. We need for some players to pan out for us to upgrade to Super Bowl thinking this year. But again..we are not far off!
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

It's never too early. We should expect to compete for it almost every year. We certainly have enough going for us to be playing in February.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    On paper, the Steelers are definitely a front runner in the AFC no question. They usually are every year even with a porous offensive line and an aging defense. Now you throw in two top offensive line draft picks, a fast linebacker in the 3rd round, a new hungry NT in Ta'amu, and a shoot out at cornerback and it's something to definitely be excited about.

I can't wait to see what Todd Haley does to bring this all together!

I was thinking this too. We really seem like the top dogs in the AFC right now. I know it's early, but if this team stays healthy, they will go deep into the post season.

So many exciting prospects this year. This is the most excited I have been (this early) in a long time, usually I don't get super fired up until around mid-late July.
    Bleeding Black and Gold since 86'

Draft Pick
    Sometimes all a team needs is just a small spark to set the league on Fire. I think the Steelers have certainly done this with the new OC, player changes and the draft. So in the words of John "Hannibal" Smith from the A-Team..."I love it when a plan comes together."

Waterboy
    I don't think it's too early. The draft is certainly hopeful especially with the veterans already in... I can see Steelers in Super Bowl

Veteran
    My Mood
    Blah
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i dont think troy is that much of an impact anymore....they dont just live and die by him
    Troy did quite well last year considering how little pressure we put on the opposing QB. He was just a half step off from making a lot of big plays. I expect him to come up big this year.

Veteran
    My Mood
    Blah
    Quote Originally Posted by SnakeEyes43 View Post
    I was thinking this too. We really seem like the top dogs in the AFC right now. I know it's early, but if this team stays healthy, they will go deep into the post season.
    New England is the top dog until someone knocks them off. They had a very good draft too, and were starting with one of the best offenses in football.

Thread Information