Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Baron Batch not yet ready to practice; another sign that Mendenhall might not play this year?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Question Baron Batch not yet ready to practice; another sign that Mendenhall might not play this year?

After almost 9 nine months of recovery since having ACL surgery, Batch is not yet ready to participate in off season work outs with the team. Even though he feels great, he says in his tweets and blog, he's apparently not yet ready to put that knee through the rigors of an NFL workout just yet.

Ed Bouchette wrote about this today in his blog, and how this also could be a sign of Mendenhall's status for this season. (excerpt below)

Barron Batch will not practice with the rookies and some first-year players over the weekend, even though he is eligible to do so.

Batch isn’t yet ready to practice after having ACL surgery in the middle of August. So, nearly nine months later, he apparently has not been cleared to go.

It’s another reason to believe that Rashard Mendenhall might not play this season. He had surgery in mid-January. If he follows Batch’s schedule, he still won’t be ready to go in mid-October. He’ll open the season on PUP. After six weeks, he can practice for three weeks (or not, if he cannot). After those three weeks, the Steelers would have to decide whether to put him on the 53-man roster, or keep him on PUP for the rest of the season.

That means the Steelers will have the week before their Nov. 18 game against Baltimore to decide whether to activate Mendenhall or put him on the shelf for the season and, if that happens, likely never see him in a Steelers uniform again.

Everybody heals differently but 9 months is the normal minimum time for recovery and even that's not long enough the majority of the time.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 05-04-2012 at 09:27 AM.

My Mood
    Manic
    I was hoping to see baron play but this tells me that it was more than just an ACL tear he may never play a down for the Steelers WHICH IS UNFORTUNATE

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Wow. That's too bad for Batch. Rainey will get all the chances in the world to be the change of pace back.

I wonder who would be the best free agent addition for the backfield?
    Last edited by Real Deal Steel; 05-04-2012 at 11:19 AM.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

free agent? ryan grant i guess, maybe benson even though im not crazy about that one.

i dont think we'll see any of batch, i think rainey has the inside track on that roster spot plus he offers as a return man

The way it's looking, they could get an injury settlement and release Batch. I"m not wishing for that but I'm just saying...

My Mood
    Impatient
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    The way it's looking, they could get an injury settlement and release Batch. I"m not wishing for that but I'm just saying...
    He is saying he is not out there because he is not required to be. No reason not to keep him, we have 90 roster spots and its only May. Giving him an injury settlement when he will be ready would not make any sense.

sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

I really like Baron, go read his blog if you havent already. His performance in workouts last year proves he has the will and body to perform....its just whether or not his body will cooperate. I am really cheering for this kid.
    I like big hits and I cannot lie

i get that people like him but i TC report that he blocked james harrison on backs on backers isnt enough to excite me.

id be surprised if he ever plays a down for us at this point if he cant get healthy for a full TC and preseason. weve never even seen the guy carry the ball and he really didnt that much at TT

Quote Originally Posted by cmerrifield View Post
    He is saying he is not out there because he is not required to be. No reason not to keep him, we have 90 roster spots and its only May. Giving him an injury settlement when he will be ready would not make any sense.

sent from my Evo using Tapatalk
    It is only May, and your right about that. But i wasn't saying they would do an injury settlement right now, this minute. I'm talking that it could take place within the next 4 months depending on his recovery and factoring in if they just don't decide to go to a veteran because they already have a rookie in Rainey.

Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    I was hoping to see baron play but this tells me that it was more than just an ACL tear he may never play a down for the Steelers WHICH IS UNFORTUNATE
    Why does it tell you it's more than an ACL tear? I always thought an ACL was a 1 year injury and it's just been 9 months.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

Thread Information