Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can Spence be an every down ILB for the Steelers?

Bookmark and Share
    Draft Pick
    With the evolution of the tight end in the past few years, you certainly see the mismatch in height with Spence. However, if he can play big the way Sam Mills played for the Saints, then I do not see a problem.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Gerry Dulac wrote this about Spence in the PG...

As an undersized linebacker at the University of Miami, Sean Spence drew comparisons to Jonathan Vilma for his speed, quickness, athleticism and ability to make tackles. And his stature.

Spence was a sideline-to-sideline tackle machine for the Hurricanes, becoming the first Miami player since Vilma -- and only sixth in school history -- to register 100 or more tackles in back-to-back seasons. Like Vilma, who is 6 feet 1, Spence didn't seem to have any problems seeing over the line of scrimmage, either.

Even if he is two inches shorter than Vilma.

"I love Sean Spence," NFL Network draft expert Mike Mayock said before the draft. "Someone is going to get a hell of a player."

That turned out to be the Steelers, who made him their third-round selection in the NFL draft.

Let's hope he don't buy into the bounty **** like Vilma! lol

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    "Someone is going to get a hell of a player."
    Spencer is gold... Hightower may start in boston, and he is slower and has a rebuilt knee.

I like Spence more...

I still think that only one, either Upshaw, Barron, Hightower are the real deal... More than likely it is Barron that held the three up to their current first round status versus college talent. One reason is, when hightower was out with the acl,mcl, minicus tear, they were still playing well without him. Barron is the starter, hightower and upshaw will take time...

Spence was the highlight reel and #1 defender for the Canes every week....

Waterboy
    This ain't you daddy's NFL anymore.

Defenses need to adjust and the Steelers just got themselves a LB that tackles like a LB, but covers like a Safety.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I like this pick more and more everyday.

I remember when Timmons came in as a rookie he was around 230. They put alot of bulk on him up to around 242 and I think it effected how loose he was. He runs a little tight now but he's still very fast for a linebacker. I think he was supposed to be Farrior replacement all along maybe that's why they put more weight on him,and in that role he'll be just as good as Pat Willis. With a guy like Spence covering ,it will allow Timmons to scrape up everything from sideline to sideline. The best part is in passing situations either one of them can cover with no drop off.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.NASHA\My Documents\My Pictures\steelers-logan%20large.jpg

Long-time Steelers scribe Ed Bouchette from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette tweeted that Spence was the most impressive rookie on the first day of practice, albeit with the "caveat" of it being a non-contact practice in shorts. Bouchette is never one to create hype with hyperbole, so his praise, even with a qualification, is telling.

Scout.com's Jim Wexell was more effusive in his praise after the first day of practice:

"Spence looks more fluid and quick into coverage up close than he does on tape, and that’s saying something."

Spence is wearing former Steeler LB James Farrior's old No. 51, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review's beat writer Scott Brown, but he's not lining up at Farrior's old "buck" position. Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reports that Steelers LB coach Keith Butler doesn't have Spence there because at 230 pounds, he might not be suited for a position that has to be "bigger and take on the guards more."

Spence doesn't project to plug an existing hole in the starting lineup. His quickness and fluid athleticism in coverage, along with read-and-react instincts that have drawn universal praise, should get him into subpackages on passing downs early in his career, especially if he keeps standing out among the Steelers rookie class and looking even better than he did on film at Miami-Florida.

Draft Pick
    I didn't like this pick at first but am warming up to it. I don't think he needs to have the bulk that a 4-3 mack needs so it's not as big an issue. I see him as a quick reacting seek and destroy weapon. Maybe especially suited to passing downs or as a "spy" on Tebow when he's in for Dirty Sanchez and doing the "am I going to pass or am I going to run" routine.

i hope they dont gibson him, everything in that report was said about my boy thad

Thread Information