Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Players to keep an eye out for in 2013

Bookmark and Share
    7-8 first round prospects at safety? TJ Mcdonald, eric reid, MAYBE lester and who else? Vaccarro? imo Lester, Vaccarro and Armstrong arent gonna finish the year as top safeties. Its just not a premium enough position

My Mood
    Addicted
    I can't remember the site (and a lot can happen between now and next draft), but the safeties below were projected possible first round material:

Matt Elam
    T.J. McDonald
    Tyrann Mathieu
    David Amerson
    Xavier Rhodes
    Tony Jefferson
    Bacarri Rambo

We have signed Myron Rolle, but I am going to keep an eye on Bacarri Rambo this season. I think we can get a decent safety next year.

C-town

Rookie Free Agent
    Plenty of safeties that could be chosen in the first couple of rounds next year.

Tony Jefferson*, S, Oklahoma
    Height: 5-10. Weight: 199.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.49.
    Projected Round (2013): 1.
    5/23/12: Jefferson has been a play-maker and leader of the Sooners' defense since he arrived in Norman. Jefferson was the Big XII Freshman of the Year in 2010. He started nine games and recorded 65 tackles with seven tackles for a loss, two sacks, two interceptions and seven passes broken up.

Jefferson was even better last year as a sophomore. He had 74 tackles with four interceptions, 4.5 sacks, 7.5 tackles for a loss, three passes broken up and one forced fumble.

Jefferson is an excellent pass defender who covers a lot of ground in the deep part of the field. He does a good job of picking up receivers running deep and has the athletic ability to play man coverage on tight ends.

Jefferson is solid in run support. The athletic and instinctive safety has a high ceiling and could be in store for another big season or two for the Sooners. Jefferson is a difference-maker and a regular generator of splash plays.

Tyrann Mathieu*, CB/S, LSU
    Height: 5-9. Weight: 175.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.42.
    Projected Round (2013): 1-2.
    5/23/12: Mathieu was one of the best defensive players in college football during the 2011 season. He was a finalist for the Heisman Trophy, and he had a massive impact for LSU.

Mathieu plays much bigger than his measurements, and anyone who watched LSU the past two seasons can't help but see that he is a pure football player with off-the-charts instinct. Mathieu led LSU in tackles with 76 as sophomore last year. He also had 7.5 tackles for a loss, 1.5 sacks, six forced fumbles, two interceptions and nine passes broken up. Additionally, Mathieu served as a punt returner in 2011, averaging 16 yards per return with two brought back for touchdowns.

The 5-foot-9, 175-pounder has been a dynamic play-maker for the Tigers since Day 1. Mathieu compiled 57 tackles with 8.5 tackles for a loss, 4.5 sacks, five forced fumbles, two interceptions, seven passes broken up and two interceptions as a freshman. He will have to clean up some off-the-field issues, but he looks like a pure football player in the mold of Ed Reed. Mathieu could move to safety in the NFL.

T.J. McDonald, S, USC
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 205.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.52.
    5/23/12: T.J. McDonald broke into the lineup as a sophomore in 2010 and had a strong debut. He led USC in tackles with 89 including three tackles for a loss, four passes broken up, three interceptions and a blocked punt. McDonald was an All-PAC-10 Second-Team selection. He had 67 tackles with three picks, two passes broken up and a blocked kick last season.

McDonald has the flexibility to play strong or free safety. He has good instincts and is a hard hitter, too. If McDonald has another good season, he could be a first-round pick. McDonald would immediately fit well in any NFL zone scheme since he been coached up by Monte Kiffin on the scheme he ran in Tampa Bay for many years.

Eric Reid*, S, LSU
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 208.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.45.
    5/23/12: Reid had a breakout 2011 season. He was part of phenomenal secondary with safety Brandon Taylor and cornerbacks Morris Claiborne and Tyrann Mathieu. Mathieu and Reid tied for the team lead with 76 tackles each. Reid also had two interceptions, two tackles for a loss, three passes broken up and two forced fumbles. He was a Second-Team All-SEC pick in 2011.

Reid stepped up and played his best football against the best competition. He had a huge game in the first contest against Alabama and was the SEC Defensive Player of the Week as he recorded six tackles with an interception and forced fumble. The sophomore safety had 11 tackles in the rematch.

Reid had 32 tackles and two interceptions as a freshman. He is a good athlete and instinctive. Additionally, Reid has good size and is a hard hitter. His job won't be easier in 2012 as Taylor and Claiborne have moved on to the NFL.

If Reid continues to improve, he could easily turn into a first-round pick.

Matt Elam*, S, Florida
    Height: 5-10. Weight: 205.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.50.
    Projected Round (2013): 1-3.
    5/23/12: Elam is an underrated college football player. When watching Florida, he really stands out as a big time presence who is all over the field. Elam was the top recruit in the state of Florida coming out of high school, and he has been validating that standing through his tenure as a Gator.

Elam earned his first playing time as a true freshman and earned even more as the year progressed. Eventually, he started in place of disappointing junior Will Hill. Elam recorded 22 tackles in 2010 with a sack and a pass broken up. He improved in 2011 and was the best player on Florida's defense. He recorded 78 tackles with 11 tackles for a loss, two interceptions, seven passes broken up and two forced fumbles.

Elam is a fast, instinctive playmaker defending the pass in the deep part of the field. He also operates well near the line of scrimmage and is a physical run defender. Elam has a high ceiling and could turn into a highly-touted prospect in 2013 or 2014.

Robert Lester, S, Alabama
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 210.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.51.
    Projected Round (2013): 2.
    5/23/12: Lester had a breakout year in 2010. He was second in the nation with eight interceptions in his first season as a starter. Lester also chipped in 52 tackles with one sack and four passes broken up. He totaled 36 tackles with three passes broken up, one forced fumble, one blocked kick and two interceptions last season and was close on a lot of other potential interceptions.

With Lester's coverage and interceptions not as strong as they were in 2010, his stock has fallen from the first round. Still, he is a good overall free safety who defends the deep part of the field well. Lester also has more ballhawking skills than most safety prospects and will have three years of starting experience entering the NFL. If he has a big 2012 season, he could move back into the first-round much like former teammate Mark Barron.

Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas
    Height: 6-1. Weight: 215.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.47.
    Projected Round (2013): 2-3.
    5/23/12: Vaccaro is another underrated player who doesn't receive the hype of some other safety prospects. He had 67 tackles with 6.5 tackles for a loss, two sacks, seven passes broken up and two interceptions as a junior in 2011. Vaccaro has good instincts and range. He was an All-Big XII First-Team pick.

It was Vaccaro's first full season as a starter, and he could be even better in 2012 after gaining a year of experience. He started six games in 2010 recording 56 tackles with one interception, eight passes broken up and one forced fumble.

Vaccaro is also a good special teams player.

Ray Ray Armstrong, S, Miami
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 220.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.59.
    Projected Round (2013): 2-3.
    5/23/12: Armstrong was suspended for the first four games of the 2011 season and his presence was missed by Miami. He was suspended for an additional game after outing himself on Twitter for having dinner with a marketing representative. The junior had 34 tackles with an interception and two passes broken up in six games last year.

Armstrong was a Second-Team All-ACC selection in 2010 and recorded 79 tackles with three interceptions. He showed up well against the Hurricanes' better opponents, with nine total tackles against both Ohio State and Florida State. Armstrong is fast, big and athletic. Additionally, he has tons of physical talent, but he has not translated that into a dominant on-field performance yet. If Armstrong lands with the right coaching staff, he could be a steal due to having a high ceiling. It is imperative that Armstrong stays out of trouble and productive as a senior, otherwise he could fall into the third day.

Bacarri Rambo, S, Georgia
    Height: 6-0. Weight: 218.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.58.
    Projected Round (2013): 2-4.
    5/23/12: Rambo could be a draft pick sooner than the 2013 NFL Draft as he has reportedly considered entering the supplemental draft later this summer. Rambo is appealing a four-game suspension by Georgia to start the 2012 season for violating team rules regarding drug usage.

The off-the-field concerns have been a big detriment to Rambo's draft stock, and it is hard to predict how heavily they will be weighed against him by NFL teams in 2012 or 2013.

Rambo had an excellent junior season and was one of the nation's leaders in interceptions with seven. He also had 52 tackles with seven passes broken up. Rambo is a physical player with good instincts. He has the speed to fly around the field and get in position to make plays.

If you watched Georgia in 2010, it was hard not to notice Rambo as a sophomore. The instinctive safety always found his way to the ball and was a play-maker. He totaled 82 tackles with three interceptions, three passes broken up and three forced fumbles. Rambo is a talented player who should be a starter in the NFL.
    Last edited by Reg3835; 06-05-2012 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    I can't remember the site (and a lot can happen between now and next draft), but the safeties below were projected possible first round material:

Matt Elam
    T.J. McDonald
    Tyrann Mathieu
    David Amerson
    Xavier Rhodes
    Tony Jefferson
    Bacarri Rambo

We have signed Myron Rolle, but I am going to keep an eye on Bacarri Rambo this season. I think we can get a decent safety next year.

C-town
    i forgot rambo, hes a good first round guy too. Rhodes to me is a prototype corner, and matheiu COULD maybe play safety, but hes tiny and will probably not be a first round guy, a quality second round NB imo, hes a good play maker and has a godly knack for stripping the ball

My Mood
    Manic
    The Steelers are at maximum capacity for drug suspended players Adams and Saunders (Adams is not suspended but would have been passed over by the FO) sorry Rambo

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    The Steelers are at maximum capacity for drug suspended players Adams and Saunders (Adams is not suspended but would have been passed over by the FO) sorry Rambo
    Yes, Rambo drew first blood (sorry, couldn't resist).

I think he is off our board.

My Mood
    Addicted
    The "Year of the Safety" awaits.

C-town

My Mood
    Manic
    I've stated many times that i'm pulling for Myron Rolle .But why i am remains a topic for Dateline i think it's because i saw a news piece on him by E:60 about how he had his interview for his rhodes scholarship the same day as his team's bowl game.He went to his interview got the scholarship then flew by private jet or Helicoptor to the bowl game and played i think the whole second half .I thought that was impressive cause most college kids would have done one or the other or niether

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    I've stated many times that i'm pulling for Myron Rolle .But why i am remains a topic for Dateline i think it's because i saw a news piece on him by E:60 about how he had his interview for his rhodes scholarship the same day as his team's bowl game.He went to his interview got the scholarship then flew by private jet or Helicoptor to the bowl game and played i think the whole second half .I thought that was impressive cause most college kids would have done one or the other or niether
    I am pulling for him as well.

C-town

My Mood
    Manic
    I THINK THEY SAID ON THE PROGRAM THAT HE WAS A LATE 1ST RD EARLY 2ND RD PLAYER but because of the scholarship he dropped to the late rds cause people questioned his passion for the game

Thread Information