Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alemeda Ta'amu- Breakdown and analysis

Bookmark and Share

Alemeda Ta'amu- Breakdown and analysis

This was such a value pick its not even funny. I did not think he would make it to the steelers pick in round 2, i was screaming for him in round 3 (much like i did for curtis brown last year), and i was shocked he was still available in 4. Awesome move trading up for him...they really did what had to be done this year.

Hes a huge NT...very powerful, very stout, and very good at winning at the point of attack. He was playing on a pretty terrible defense and literally made a career out of making other guys look better than they were. At nearly 350 pounds he shows great agility and lateral movement, as well as pursuit toe the ball, play recognition, and closing speed for a man that size. This wont limit the steelers from playing him on passing downs because he can disrupt, hes not gonna be just a pure anchor NT. He is actually a great fit for a 43 NT because he can get after the Qb and collapse the pocket a bit. But expect the steelers to move him around the line sometimes to exploit mismatches. I loved poe and chapman but out of 3 NTs i would have been happy walking away with taamu is definitely one of them. Hes probably more of a sure than than poe, and less of an injury liability than chapman....zero complaints here from me.

He can do it all for a NT....stuff the run, occupy multiple blockers, collapse the pocket and get after the QB. what a fantastic pick he will turn out to be.

Its a great feeling having damn near nothing negative to say about the first 4 picks. I dont think ive ever done that before lol

My Mood
    Addicted
    Great value for a 4th rounder. Very much a "need" pick as well (who knows when Hampton will be back at 100%). I see it as a win-win situation.

I liked Chapman and Ta'amu, was not a huge fan of Poe. Something about the level of competition he played scared me. Poe was a huge reach at #10, that's probably where DeCastro should have fell.

C-town
    Last edited by ChucktownSteeler; 05-01-2012 at 12:31 PM.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    What's your take on the local media saying he won't see the field this year man?

Personally I think they'd be foolish not to get him out there. If nothing else he'll be in the rotation along the line but this dude is clearly the future.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    What's your take on the local media saying he won't see the field this year man?

Personally I think they'd be foolish not to get him out there. If nothing else he'll be in the rotation along the line but this dude is clearly the future.
    **** the local media i hate them all

he plays the easiest position on defense, hes big, strong, fast, and experienced enough to transition, hes a perfect fit, and he filled arguably our biggest need on defense.

casey almost CANT be fully healed for the start of the year and even if he is or close to it how long will his knee hold up? how much will he weigh by then? taamu is the anti evander hood in that he can be an effective contributor early on. the onyl way he doesnt see the field is if Woods comes out and shakes the "hes too raw" label, but mcclendon cant be a full time NT...excellent backup, at all 3 dline positions....but hes essentially the doug legursky of defense

My Mood
    Addicted
    I can't see how the local media can project who and who does not see the field. So many factors come into play it's not even funny, including injuries.

To answer your question in a word: Hogwash.

I say the top 5 picks see the field at one time or another this year.

C-town

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    **** the local media i hate them all

mcclendon cant be a full time NT...excellent backup, at all 3 dline positions....but hes essentially the doug legursky of defense
    Exactly right, sometimes fans fall in love with backups. They are backups for a reason. If Ta'amu shows great progress early in camp, and I think it's possible, I would be surprised to see Hampton PUP'ed, or IR'ed, or even cut. None of which would really hurt my feelings. I think his time has passed.

Waterboy
    was not a huge fan of Poe. Something about the level of competition he played scared me. Poe was a huge reach at #10, that's probably where DeCastro should have fell.

----------------------
    New Star Rising for TV shows --- Game Of Thrones Season 2 DVD,Seize the present, Seize it!

My Mood
    Sunshine
    Score one for the media.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

mcclendon has really been a lovely surprise so far though

My Mood
    Sunshine
    Ta'amu is really a raw player with an abundance of talent give him a year or so under Hampton wing and I think he'll be a beast.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

Thread Information