Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Adams- Breakdown and analysis

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

Mike Adams- Breakdown and analysis

Just another incredible pickup along the oline for the steelers. Much like 2007 when they drafted timmons and woodley back to back the steelers double dipped on the oline in 2012 and it really turned out to be incredible value for them.

David decastro was a top 10 value at guard, which is a rarity....but for much of the process (an in pure raw talent) Mike Adams has similar top 10 value at a much more premium position. I originally had Adams as my #2 tackle behind kalil. He had a great senior season after his suspension and he had a great senior bowl week. His triangle numbers were not great but he looked good in the drills at the combine. He showed up to play as a senior though, looking good in both run blocking and pass blocking but his true value is as a pass blocker because of his great athleticism and footwork. At 6-7 320+ he certainly looks the part, and really does actually look good on tape going up against some premier pass rushers, many of which were first round picks. He does has his flaws, but he has all the tools to work with and will likely compete for either tackle spot pretty early on. Last year we got gilbert in the 2nd (5th rated tackle) this year we got adams who was my 2nd or 3rd rated tackle.

This line went from abysmal in 09, to better with pouncey in 2010, to serviceable in 2011 to potentially great in 2012. Even if you dont like adams, his ability is undeniable. And lets say you put him next to a decastro and a pouncey....potentially crishing oline, about as close to a brick wall as i could imagine....by far the ebst thing ben has had to work with.

Let's assume the favorite combination for our opening day O-Line is... Gilbert-Foster-Pouncey-DeCastro-Colon... How much of an improvement would this be over having Legursky/Kemo at guard and Starks at tackle?

I just don't see Adams starting right away, but by mid-season hopefully!

My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by igor0190 View Post

I just don't see Adams starting right away, but by mid-season hopefully!
    I'm not so sure it couldn't happen ... Gilbert essentially started his rookie year ... granted it was baptism by fire ... but Tomlin now has two examples of the possibilities on the O-line ... It seems the Steelers are content to play the best players ... if Adams does well at camp maybe Colon will be the afterthought he has earned ...
    It's hip to T-Squared ...

Quote Originally Posted by tburg68 View Post
    Adams-DeCastro-Pouncey-Colon-Gilberts

This should be the O-Line from day one, better be by middle of year. Goodbye Starks(love the guy, but time has come) and C. Scott.

I would actually rather they sign Max as a tackle rotation and punt Legursky. DeCastro is athletic enough to back up at Center, and Essex can play there in a pinch. Throw in Foster, and the Line has great starters and very good depth.
    to me thats ideal. I would like to see chris scott compete for a guard spot, if theres a steeler i know the least about i think its him....just almost a complete unknown. I do know its do or die for him.

I like gilbert a lot, i have since day one...i love his ability to play tough through injuries and his recovery was excellent for a rookie tackle after he got beat a little bit.....but adams is so ideal for LT, and i thought gilbert was but on paper adams looks like a left tackle a bit more

Quote Originally Posted by The Lakelander View Post
    I'm not so sure it couldn't happen ... Gilbert essentially started his rookie year ... granted it was baptism by fire ... but Tomlin now has two examples of the possibilities on the O-line ... It seems the Steelers are content to play the best players ... if Adams does well at camp maybe Colon will be the afterthought he has earned ...
    i think its pretty wide open for these young guys to win spots....not sure adams wins day 1, but eventually or due to injury i could see him launched into a starting role. i would like to see them make jonathan scott take a pay cut and backup the RT, cause as much as i loathe him i didnt mind him in that role. Legs is a good backup center and a less than servicable backup guard...i dont mind him on the roster, just not in a starting role.

I would doubt they bring starks back, and i think essex and chris scott should battle it out for backup guard (if scott cant compete for a starting guard spot)

My Mood
    Fine
    I expect Starks back and an Awesome camp battle. I can see Starks Starting and see him being held out and the swing guy.
    Dont be surprised if after the bye week The line looks like this:
    Adams,Ryan Lee,Pouncey,DeCastro,Gilbert.

Swing guys Starks,Foster,Colon,Essex,Legurski(might be FB)

id be very surprised if ryan lee is starting at LG.....VERY surprised lol

i dont buy decastro at RG yet, i think he ultimately ends up on the left. Foster/C.Scott/Colon are way better suited for RG than LG

My Mood
    Manic
    I don't see the front office resigning Starks even at a discount.Gilbert and J. Scott will be 1&2 at LT and Colon and Adams at RT .The Guards will be DeCastro/Legurski LG Pouncey/Essex@center RG Foster/TBD bEECHUM LEE

My Mood
    Addicted
    Great post K. I couldn't agree more. I dont watch lots of college FB but I wouldnt be surprised if he didnt end up one of the Steelers best linemen for years.

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Just another incredible pickup along the oline for the steelers. Much like 2007 when they drafted timmons and woodley back to back the steelers double dipped on the oline in 2012 and it really turned out to be incredible value for them.

David decastro was a top 10 value at guard, which is a rarity....but for much of the process (an in pure raw talent) Mike Adams has similar top 10 value at a much more premium position. I originally had Adams as my #2 tackle behind kalil. He had a great senior season after his suspension and he had a great senior bowl week. His triangle numbers were not great but he looked good in the drills at the combine. He showed up to play as a senior though, looking good in both run blocking and pass blocking but his true value is as a pass blocker because of his great athleticism and footwork. At 6-7 320+ he certainly looks the part, and really does actually look good on tape going up against some premier pass rushers, many of which were first round picks. He does has his flaws, but he has all the tools to work with and will likely compete for either tackle spot pretty early on. Last year we got gilbert in the 2nd (5th rated tackle) this year we got adams who was my 2nd or 3rd rated tackle.

This line went from abysmal in 09, to better with pouncey in 2010, to serviceable in 2011 to potentially great in 2012. Even if you dont like adams, his ability is undeniable. And lets say you put him next to a decastro and a pouncey....potentially crishing oline, about as close to a brick wall as i could imagine....by far the ebst thing ben has had to work with.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I think Foster is still a serviceable guard too. He had a good year in 2010 between Pouncey and Flozell Adams. If there weren't so many injuries on either side of him he could have had an even better 2011.

This whole thing hinges on Pouncey staying healthy. We can't afford another year of Legursky at center, it just throws everything off in terms of depth.

Adams will Colon all he can handle at tackle this summer. If he and Decastro can learn and grow together with Pouncey and Gilbert it could an amazing line.

- From BRC's Droid Bionic of Coolness

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Adams-DeCastro-Pouncey-Colon-Gilberts

This should be the O-Line from day one, better be by middle of year. Goodbye Starks(love the guy, but time has come) and C. Scott.

I would actually rather they sign Max as a tackle rotation and punt Legursky. DeCastro is athletic enough to back up at Center, and Essex can play there in a pinch. Throw in Foster, and the Line has great starters and very good depth.

Thread Information