Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Did the Steelers break the rules?

Bookmark and Share
    2nd String

Did the Steelers break the rules?

I think the story of Mike Adams is a great story. My question is I thought you weren't allowed to have contact with a guy before the draft? What went on between the Steelers and Adams almost seems like a type of negotiation no? The Steelers told him he was off their board and here's what you had to do to get back on it. So he does all that and I guess let the Steelers know he had done it. There was no guarantee the Steelers would get an opportunity to pick the guy but I'm almost sure you aren't allowed to have that kind of contact before and during the draft? Hopefully there's someone here that knows the rules and could speak to that. Are you allowed to be in this kind of contact with guys before the draft?

My Mood
    Addicted
    I could be wrong, but I believe the all teams are allowed to bring in a certain amount of players and when Adams contacted them they counted it towards that.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Veteran
    They are allowed to bring 30 candidates in house for meetings prior to the draft. Adams was one of those 30. There was no rule breaking.

2nd String
    So even though he was off their board they brought him in for a visit? I didn't know that. Why would they bring him in for a visit if he were off their board?

2nd String
    Thanks for the info

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollers View Post
    I think the story of Mike Adams is a great story. My question is I thought you weren't allowed to have contact with a guy before the draft? What went on between the Steelers and Adams almost seems like a type of negotiation no? The Steelers told him he was off their board and here's what you had to do to get back on it. So he does all that and I guess let the Steelers know he had done it. There was no guarantee the Steelers would get an opportunity to pick the guy but I'm almost sure you aren't allowed to have that kind of contact before and during the draft? Hopefully there's someone here that knows the rules and could speak to that. Are you allowed to be in this kind of contact with guys before the draft?
    Rollers,

I was thinking the same thing a few days ago myself, but I saw that Mike wrote the same letter and sent it to all 32 teams. Also, as stated, the Steelers are permitted contact with 30 players, so I think they are fine. Also, he is "local" to them (I think) the rules are a little more relaxed.

Who said great minds think alike!

C-town

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollers View Post
    So even though he was off their board they brought him in for a visit? I didn't know that. Why would they bring him in for a visit if he were off their board?
    Adams contacted them and that is when they decided to bring him in. I guess they felt enough towards him as a player to at least see what he had to say. Glad they did!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

2nd String
    Appreciate it guys. I guess since he contacted him and no actual details of a contract were discussed they were ok. Just seemed like a lot more contact before the draft than you usually see. Steelersfan indeed I'm glad they did as well. Let's hope the young man can start day 1! How cool would it be to see two new O line starters?

Adams and DeCastro have to start. Who will be starting if they dont?

Is Colon ready to play?

Spence will surprise also, if you can watch some cane replays you will see him everywhere on the plays. He has to get into rotation... Sly better play smart and hard or he will be watching Spence play.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    From what I read He asked to meet w/ Steelers, so they brought him in. The explained his positive test... He told him to then write a letter for all the teams stating the explanation. At that time they told him he was off their board, but if he did the letter and other "right" things (didnt specify) it could help his draft stock. Then after he fell in the sceond, they talked about it heavily and felt it was the right move (he truely wasnt on their board) then they broke their own "rule" by drafting someone that wasnt on their board.
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

Thread Information