Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monmouth College quarterback Alex Tanney gets a shot with the Seelers

Bookmark and Share

Monmouth College quarterback Alex Tanney gets a shot with the Seelers

I know trick shots don't win games in the NFL (even if Tebow can win with a substandard NFL accuracy), but this kid's internet trick shots are pretty cool and fun to watch.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Boy are the coaches going to have a lot of fun with him when he screws up. Everytime he does, they are going to remind him of this video and say, " Well you did all those tricks in that video so why can't you do this?" Hahahahahahahaha
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Ok, Lets root for this kid...

Passing for 14,249 yards put Alex Tanney atop the NCAA Division III record book. Firing 157 touchdown passes made him No. 1 in NCAA history for all divisions. Yet, for all Tanney accomplished as a Monmouth College quarterback, he’s still the guy from the small school. It was that way at Lexington High School, where Division I college recruiters looked at his impressive numbers, rubbed their chins and said, “We like him, but …” Now, the evaluating eyes belong to National Football League scouts, and Monmouth’s enrollment of 1,343 is a factor.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    low risk but could be high reward......Charlie and Lefty are old........why not bring this kid?......

Draft Pick
    Did he really just throw 50yds from his knees?

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by strummerfan View Post
    Did he really just throw 50yds from his knees?
    Kyle Boller threw 60yds from his knees pre-draft workouts 2003.......just saying.....

what are the odds with that song?? haha thats pretty cool unless it was redone last night or something

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    He did not actually get a contract, just an invite to the mini camp weekend with the Steelers.

MONMOUTH — Whether he became the rare NCAA Division III player taken in the seven rounds of the NFL draft or not, all Monmouth College’s Alex Tanney ever wanted was an opportunity.

Saturday night, after the TV lights finally dimmed on the three-day extravaganza known as the 2012 NFL draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers gave Tanney what he had been looking for.

Tanney received an invitation — but no contract — from the Steelers to join them for their rookie minicamp Friday through Sunday and participate in drills with about 20 of their new draft picks and undrafted free agents. The group includes five offensive linemen, two wide receivers and a tight end, but no quarterbacks.

“A lot of times it comes down to its tough for them to give a D-III player a contract,” said Tanney. “If I perform the way I can, they’ll offer me a contract. I’m looking forward to the opportunity.”

Tanney, the NCAA’s all-time touchdown passing leader, finished his collegiate career with 157 TDs and more than 14,000 yards. In 2009, he received the Melberger Award as the nation’s top Division III quarterback. A two-time Gagliardi trophy finalist, Tanney was named an All-American by the Associated Press and the American Football Coaches’ Association following his senior season.

He became an internet sensation in 2011 with his “Trick Shot Quarterback” You Tube video and was also featured on the History Channel show “Stan Lee’s Superhumans” earlier this year.

Following last football season, the 6-3, 223-pound Tanney, a native of Lexington, Ill., began preparing for the draft by taking part in the TEST Football Academy in Boca Raton, Fla., conducted by former NFL quarterback Chad Pennington. He also appeared in the Players All-Star Classic at Little Rock, Ark., in February and performed at a pro day for NFL scouts at Northwestern University.

Shortly after last season, he also acquired an agent, Brian Levy of Miami.
    Among the countless pre-draft evaluations made by media experts everywhere, Tanney was ranked as high as the top 20 among quarterbacks from across the nation, including big schools and small.

He watched the draft with family at his parent’s home in Normal over the weekend.
    “I had some teams contact my agent in the later rounds. I was on a couple of teams boards,” said Tanney. “The draft didn’t play out like a lot of people expected. Not a lot of quarterbacks were picked, maybe only 11 or 12.

Full article here

My Mood
    Addicted
    OMG, I remember watching this a year or so back. Never thought we would get him!

LOL!

C-town

14,000 yards and 157 td's he must have pissed off alot of coaches on the other teams, like to hear what some of them say about playing against him on the field..

Thread Information