Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Steelers 3rd Round Pick - 2012 - Sean Spence - LB - Miami

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Asleep
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Stupid pick IMO! Chapman was there!
    +2 I would have went with Chaps

After reading through all these posts, I am starting to come around on this pick.......it is making more and more sense. Let's finish it off right today!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Conference call transcript for Spence

SEAN SPENCE
    Linebacker
    3rd Round – 86th Overall
    Re: Coming to a team with a pretty good tradition at linebacker:
    It’s great to come to an organization that always competes for a championship. Having a chance to play here is just a tremendous feeling.

You were a team captain; do you consider yourself a leader?
    I do. I am a guy that is going to work hard, come in and get my one-eleven and give it all for my team. I am a team player. I am going to try to contribute any way I can.

Re: Only doing 12 reps at the combine:
    I had a banged up shoulder, coming from the Senior Bowl. I had a deep bruise. I wanted to compete and show scouts I wasn’t scared. Unfortunately, I only pushed out 12 but I can do more.

Does being a lighter inside linebacker hurt your perception around the league?
    I am not sure. My perception doesn’t matter around the league. I am just happy to be a Pittsburgh Steeler. I am glad they saw something in me to pick me.

How many tackles did you make at Miami, about 500?
    [Laughs] I think I had 300 or up around that area. I had 41 tackles for loss, if I am not mistaken.

Re: Playing on special teams your first season:
    There’s no doubt I will. When I met with Coach Butler at the combine, he told me that no rookie linebacker came in and started. They had to work their way in on special teams. I am all for it. Anything I can do for the team, I am willing to help, whether that’s coming in and contributing on special teams, I am all for it.

Players from Miami normally go in the first round, right?
    We do. They do. But it’s a draft. You never know how it will go. I know guys that are just happy to be drafted so they can reach their dreams.

Re: The Steelers’ linebackers:
    It’s going to be great getting to train alongside those guys. I’ve watched them for so many years. I’ve watched Lawrence Timmons play. Just having a chance to be in the same room with those guys and practice with them, and read their mind is going to be great.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    I'm still holding out hope that Ta'amu falls or they make a move to get him...that's what I really wanted in this spot...
    Got him!

Linebackers Coach Keith Butler on Sean Spence

Is Sean Spence and inside or outside linebacker?
    He is going to be inside. They (Miami) have played in a 4-3 front, but it’s a different front than ours. We see him as an inside linebacker.

Are the days of Levon Kirkland playing the buck long gone? He seems pretty small?
    I wouldn’t say that. This guy is smaller than Levon Kirkland. Sean is a very instinctive, fast, quick kid that is very smart. He is probably best served if we can cover him up. What I mean by that is; if you look at James Farrior, he played the last four or five years at 230 pounds and when you get older like that, it’s best to be playing at 230 pounds as opposed to 235 pounds because he knows the game well enough that he is going to act fast enough and he can use the techniques and knowledge of the game, he doesn’t have to be as heavy. It’s better for him so he can keep his mobility, because that’s more important than anything else. This guy has that mobility.

Is this guy a buck?
    I wouldn’t call him a buck, no. The buck linebacker has to be a little bit bigger and take on the guards more.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    After sleeping on this pick, I see what Lebeau is trying to do. He's trying to find a way to stop all these crazy TE's from converting on those 3rd down situations on us. Ravens drove us crazy in the second game hitting us with those TE's. I hope this idea of Lebeau works. Because if we take away these TE's from the Patriots and Ravens, they are in a whole heap of trouble.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Not just TE's but Ray Rice types out of the backfields...How many times have we seen Rice make our LB's look silly?.......

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Not just TE's but Ray Rice types out of the backfields...How many times have we seen Rice make our LB's look silly?.......
    Good point. Heck of a point. I'm liking the pick more and more now. Hahahaha
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

My Mood
    Ornery
    Okay, you're winning me over on this pick.....my first reaction was ....I'm starting to see the sense in it.
    The Tradition Continues!!!

Got to like this stuff from CBS:

04/27/2012 - LB Sean Spence, Miami (Fla.) -- Only 5-11, 230, Spence is faster on the field than his 4.6 40 times at the Combine. He gets downgraded for average strength but his amazing recognition skills through diligent film study might still help him be a three-down linebacker for the Steelers.
    03/16/2012 - NFL Draft Scout Top Edge Players, OLB/DE: Sean Spence, OLB, Miami, 5-11, 231, 2-3...Spence does everything he can to overcome lack of natural size and strength. He is already a coach on the field - something teams may note for the future - and shows amazing recognition skills that result from intense film analysis. Athletically, he reads and reacts quickly without wasted steps. Spence is not fooled often by play action, and shows above average skills as a pass defender. At the combine, he said "I think I am a three-down linebacker - very fast, I can go sideline to sideline, I'm a smart, very instinctive player. ... I lead by example, and most of all I make plays." Indeed, Spence has been consistent throughout his athletic career, collecting more than 100 tackles as a senior on Miami Northwestern High School's 2007 national championship team (chosen by USA Today). In 2008, he earned ACC Rookie of the Year honors at Miami and his career totals include 317 tackles (169 solo and 46 for a loss) and 10.5 sacks. But he may be tagged as an overachiever based on his workout at the combine, which included only 12 reps with 225 pounds on the bench press and a mediocre 4.71 seconds in 40 yards. He said afterward he had a bad shoulder and usually benches at least 19. - Frank Cooney, The Sports Xchange/NFLDraftScout.com

Thread Information