Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shutdown corner?

Bookmark and Share
    SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFan87 View Post
    I think the most optimistic thing is to hope Tomlin can make our defense like the Pats' defense was in it's prime, where you can switch between a 3-4 and a 4-3 at any time. Imagine the havoc that would cause with opposing offenses.
    Well I think thats what we will see this year and probally next year some type of hybrid defense mixing both schemes. All I'm saying I wouldn't be shocked down the road the Steelers just become a 4-3/cover2 team.

I'm all for the hybrid defense talk though. The more stuff you can to confuse other teams offenses is nothing but a plus in my book.

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan View Post
    If they do decide to switch it would be much easier to start doing it now through the draft. I'm still thinking we could be playing some hybrid 3-4 or 4-3. Kind of like the Ravens did at times this year. Sometimes they even went to like a 2-6 or some crap...lol But it confuses the hell out of the offense so whatever works best.
    Yea I agree with the hybrid and I'm all for that really. I think thats the way to go. Especially this year.

But since Tomlin is a 4-3/cover2 guy. I wouldn't be shocked say in 3 or 4 years that the Steelers are just a 4-3/cover2 team.

But I hope Tomlin develops a hybrid defense and keeps it. But Mike Tomlin did say he will run a defense that plays to his players strengths. So really it all depends on the personal he has.

My Mood
    Addicted
    If Tomlin is half the guy he claims to be he will pick up a few things from Dick. Who knows what that could turn into and it could change the way he looks at playing D.

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan View Post
    If Tomlin is half the guy he claims to be he will pick up a few things from Dick. Who knows what that could turn into and it could change the way he looks at playing D.
    Oh I agree Tomlin should listen to Coach LeBeau and I think Tomlin will for this year and next year. Even though LeBeau has only 1 year left on his contract I see the Steelers probally running a hybrid type of defense the next few years. I just hope it stays that way. The big problem with the 3-4 its tough finding the right players for the system to work since alot of teams run that defense again. Its much easier finding the right players for a 4-3.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    The Steelers made the 3-4 defense popular, but it's not like switching to the 4-3 is going to kill us for a long time.. The Patriots run the 4-3, 3-4, 5-2, 2-5 and 1-6 and everything in between. The Ravens run the 4-3, the 46, and variations on these variations. Minnesota wasn't strictly a "Cover-2" team last year. Depending on down-and-distance, the Vikings defense also played Cover-1 and Cover-3. Know who else plays a lot of Cover-3? Yes sir thats right, the Steelers, behind all the zone blitzes. Let's say the Steelers use the next two off-seasons to stock up on "4-3" players via free agency and the draft. If history is any indication, Kevin Colbert and the Steelers personnel department won't forget how to identify talent. And LeBeau and Tomlin won't forget how to coach, either.

Art Rooney II said this about switching D's:
    How do you make the switch? Free agency, the draft, down the road? I think if you look at some of the defensive packages that we’ve played over the years, we’ve played with four down linemen in a lot of games for a lot of plays. If you made a decision to convert to it on a permanent basis then you’d probably have to spend two years re-doing your personnel. But there’s something to be said for the fact we’ve played four down linemen on a lot of plays, and doing more of that is probably something he’ll look at.
    As far as the rules changing to give the offense all the advantages. This is the way I look at it.....you can't hit a receiver after 5 yards? So that means you got 5 yards to knock the **** out of him...theres no rule that says how hard you can hit a receiver is there? I know its easier said then done right? Every time that receiver comes off the line he gets hit and the more he gets hit coming off the line the more he will hurt the more he hurts the more he will wish he wasn't playing the Pittsburgh Steelers. Thats what we need to get back....Smashmouth Defense!!!!! Hit you in your mouth and dare you to get the **** back up. As far as a roughing the passer penalty...**** it....Get a good clean hit in every time don't worry about pulling up and holding back. If the ref throws the flag guess what the QB still got drilled into the turf, the more his *** is on the turf the more he'll hurt the more he hurts the more he'll wish he wasn't playing the Pittsburgh Steelers.....

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

I think Mcfadden is a good player to and nobody is really talking about him, he fights for the ball everytime its thrown his way

My Mood
    Addicted
    Something else to remember is that the famous "Steel Curtain" was a 4-3. So it's not like the 4-3 can't be a good defense. I'd still like to see us do some hybrid thing though.

Reppin' 724
    I am not so sure we couldn't run a decent 4-3 right now!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tomlin
    "We will play to the strengths and capabilities of these players, in many respects X's and O's are overrated, you play to the strengths of your players"
    there you have it Mike tomlin himself just nailed this argument shut
    Last edited by K Train; 01-26-2007 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stillers#1 View Post
    I am not so sure we couldn't run a decent 4-3 right now!
    I don't think we can, at least not consistently. We don't have the right personel. A 4-3 depends alot more on the D linemen for pressure, and our D linemen aren't pressure guys, they're block eaters and run stoppers. We could probably use an OLB as a DE, but then he'd be undersized. I'm sure we could use some 4-3 occasionally right now, but if we try to switch to it permanently with the guys we have, it won't work.
    Who Ride?! WE RIDE!!! Long live the Boot!!!

"I'll always be a Steeler" - Joey Porter
    "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler" - Kordell Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

Thread Information