Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shutdown corner?

Bookmark and Share
    Reppin' 724
    I dunno about drafting a shutdown corner, our "projects" don't seem to be working out too well. I would rather see us go after someone via free agency.

I still think IKE has what it takes, he had a MUCH better season at CB than Ben did at QB, and people are still on Ben's jock.

My Mood
    Addicted
    It would be nice to have shut down corner but we can hide average CB's on our D if we get pressure. I'm a little worried about the age of our LB's and the way our OL played last year. I think those are the 2 main areas we need to take care of now.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    we just need to draft demarcus ware type player.........
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Quote Originally Posted by SteelersfaninPhilly View Post
    Really the CB is becoming more useless. Heard a couple rumors that the comp committe is looking to give the WR an even bigger advantage. Picks better spent on OL/DL LB
    I don't think the rule changes are eliminating the CB position, they're just making it like the rule changes in the NHL, where it weeds out the less talented guys who depend on physically being all over a guy in order to stop him. This just forces them to play the position like it's meant to be played. A shutdown corner is still huge. Look at Champ Bailey or even Asante Samuel. They can hurt you so badly with INTs that you don't even throw to their side anymore, thus eliminating a WR.
    Who Ride?! WE RIDE!!! Long live the Boot!!!

"I'll always be a Steeler" - Joey Porter
    "Once a Steeler, always a Steeler" - Kordell Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    But 87 you have to agree the rules are getting alittle out of hand with favoring the offensive players. The defensive players can't even touch an offensive player anymore.

My Mood
    Addicted
    This is why you guys are missing my point!.....lol You get pressure on the QB you won't need to worry about your CB's as much. Especially the D we play.

I'll agree that the way they're handling roughing the passer has been absolutely terrible. But that's mostly because of the inconsistency. I mean, some guys get killed (like Ben against the falcons) and there's no flag, and other guys get tapped in the head and there's a 15 yard penalty.

i think we should make willie parker eat lots and lots of cake so we have a power running game

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan View Post
    This is why you guys are missing my point!.....lol You get pressure on the QB you won't need to worry about your CB's as much. Especially the D we play.
    Oh I agree with the Steelers need to improve their pass rush bigtime and that helps out the secondary. The interesting thing though is I know the Steelers will probally stick with the 3-4 this year. But probally down the road I could see a switch to a 4-3.

Would it be smart to start drafting for that now? Its going to be interesting on draft day thats for sure. Thats finding an hybrid DE/OLB probally would be the smartest move. That way that player could play in either the 4-3 as an DE or OLB in the 3-4.

I think the most optimistic thing is to hope Tomlin can make our defense like the Pats' defense was in it's prime, where you can switch between a 3-4 and a 4-3 at any time. Imagine the havoc that would cause with opposing offenses.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Oh I agree with the Steelers need to improve their pass rush bigtime and that helps out the secondary. The interesting thing though is I know the Steelers will probally stick with the 3-4 this year. But probally down the road I could see a switch to a 4-3.

Would it be smart to start drafting for that now? Its going to be interesting on draft day thats for sure. Thats finding an hybrid DE/OLB probally would be the smartest move. That way that player could play in either the 4-3 as an DE or OLB in the 3-4.
    If they do decide to switch it would be much easier to start doing it now through the draft. I'm still thinking we could be playing some hybrid 3-4 or 4-3. Kind of like the Ravens did at times this year. Sometimes they even went to like a 2-6 or some crap...lol But it confuses the hell out of the offense so whatever works best.

Thread Information