Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pro Bowl may be cancelled...does anyone care?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Pro Bowl may be cancelled...does anyone care?

There may not be a Pro Bowl this year, but really does anyone care? Nobody watches it, it doesn't sell out in Hawaii, it doesn't sell out in Florida, and TV ratings are nothing special either. Most of us that do watch it only do so to see our teams players one last time for the year.

The NFL and the NFL Players Association were considering the future of the Pro Bowl, the league confirmed Thursday, following reports the annual game was set to be canceled after last season's much-derided matchup.

"[The NFL has] been in discussions with the union about the future of the Pro Bowl. No determination has been made yet about this season's game," league spokesman Greg Aiello said.

The league and union agreed that the quality of last year's game, which saw the NFC claim a 55-41 win over the AFC, was unacceptable at a meeting between the sides earlier this month.

The sides, though, were understood to have discussed ways to improve the fixture rather than wipe it from the schedule.
    The game still is listed on the NFL's calendar the week before New Orleans hosts Super Bowl XLVII on Feb. 3, though the location remains unknown.

Yet ESPN reported earlier Thursday, citing league sources, that the delay in naming a venue was because the Pro Bowl game "likely will be suspended this season and beyond," with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell "strongly considering" the move.

FOX Sports

Is a JOKE I hope they get rid of it!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Veteran
    It may be a joke, but they still got some 12.5 million viewers. Not a bad number (and more than the MLB AS game.)

Why not have 20 highlight clips from each pro bowl selection and make it into a cool doumentary of each pro bowlers highlights for the year.

add some rookie of the year highlights. top 10 best plays from the year.
    mvp player highlights.

would be a cool 3 hour show...

Rookie Free Agent JoeSteelerFan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cynical

My Social Networks

Follow JoeSteelerFan On Twitter
    To be perfectly honest, I'd rather see these NFL athletes compete against each other in some sort of "Battle of the NFL Stars" AFC vs. NFC format .... with various challenges of speed, agility, and strength. The finale would consist of a gauntlet obsticle course.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoeSteelerFan

I'd say the only way they keep it is to allow the QB to be hit Greg Williams style!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Veteran
    To me, the big problem is running the pro-bowl in Hawaii the week before the Super Bowl. That eliminates any SB participants from joining in, and they usually have many of the players people want to see.

I liked when they tried the Pro-Bowl in the same city as the SB. That sort of kicked off the week and the SB players were there, although not playing (understandably.) Or doing it the week after, the SB players got to join in as well.

My Mood
    Sunshine
    The pro bowl in no way resembles football And until it does it should be benched, never mind that's the regular season I'm thinking about.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

Rookie Free Agent
    I wouldn't mind one bit if it was done away with

Draft Pick
    I couldn't care less about the pro-bowl. Don't even remember the last time I watched it.

Thread Information