Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What I"m hearing from around the league about the draft.................

Bookmark and Share
    Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar

What I"m hearing from around the league about the draft.................

Well, what I"m hearing is that Hightower will not get past the Chiefs and that Glenn will go in the teens also. With that said, I now don't want Poe because he's a bit of a project and we don't need a project. Our first round pick has be able to start. The guy I'm looking at is Amini Silatolu. Put this guy at guard and the running game is back in the mix. He's a small
    guy from Midwestern State but don't let that fool you. He plays tackle but we can move him to guard which means he has the versatility we need in our O-line.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

And you heard this from....?

if some teams trade up for WR's we will be better off.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityKid5 View Post
    And you heard this from....?
    Well, at first I heard it from a friend of mine who works for the Raiders two weeks ago. Then, today I decided to go to my favorite mocksters at Profootballtalk.com. That shook me up that their mock emulated what I was told. So I kinda think there is validity in it.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Poe's stock is dropping just a bit lately. He could possibly fall closer to 24 than most thought after the combine. Most GM's and Scouts don't think he's a day 1 starter though, he needs some time to develop. He's gotten by on brute strength and power against lesser opponents. It won't be that way in the NFL.

I'm not convinced the Steelers go for the obvious choice between Hightower or Poe. Just an odd feeling.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Poe's stock is dropping just a bit lately. He could possibly fall closer to 24 than most thought after the combine. Most GM's and Scouts don't think he's a day 1 starter though, he needs some time to develop. He's gotten by on brute strength and power against lesser opponents. It won't be that way in the NFL.

I'm not convinced the Steelers go for the obvious choice between Hightower or Poe. Just an odd feeling.
    I would argue that Poe never really rose in the eyes of the actual teams, because they knew the game tape all along and didn't get a caught up in the hype as some of the sports writers did (some had him rising from the mid 20s to top 10.) I'm not sure you could say he got by on brute strength because he wasn't a monster in his conference (didn't even make the all conference team.)

The obvious pick between Hightower and Poe is Hightower. For several reasons.

+ Hightower went to Alabama, Poe went to Memphis. Not saying a guy from Memphis couldn't do well in the NFL but the competition from Alabama has Hightower more ready now.
    + Poe's lack fo game tape and lack of establishing himself as a dominant force in a weak conference.
    + Hightower is more polished at this point and considered a good fit for a 3-4.
    + The dropoff between Hightower and the ILB that would be availble to us in the 2nd round is much greater than the dropoff between Poe and the NT that would be availalbe in the 2nd round.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    Well, what I"m hearing is that Hightower will not get past the Chiefs and that Glenn will go in the teens also.

At 11? That's a fairly large reach for Hightower. A bit of a reach for Glenn as well, though not as much.

I don't believe anything I hear. This is all draft posturing, nothing more.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    I'm hearing the Chiefs like the LB from BC or DeCastro...

Either way, I'm still thinking Hightower nor Poe will be our pick.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

My Mood
    Roflol
    Not to discredit your "sources" but really anything can happen at this point. To think Hightower might go at 11 is bit of a stretch but again its plausable. To think that any rookie the Steelers get at 24 will start right away is a bigger stretch. Unless devastated by injuries its doubtful any rookie will be starting. I however trust that the Steelers will pick someone who can help out very soon if their recent track record holds up.

The draft is almost here yet so damn far away.
    Fear da Beard

I don't always post, but when I do its on SteelerAddicts.com

Sponsered by the following:
    Cookies, Air, TP

My Mood
    Fine
    I have a few points:

1. Colbert just said the other day that our #1 pick necessarily won't be required to start this season ... to me that leaves Poe and Hightower clearly in the mix ...

2. Why would the Steelers reach for an OG in Round #1 that is clearly a Round #2 prospect? ... especially in a draft where they can get the OG they need safely in Round #2? ...

3. Don't be surprised if the Steelers take a position in Round #1 that no one (neither expert nor amateur) is proclaiming ...
    It's hip to T-Squared ...

Thread Information