Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What I"m hearing from around the league about the draft.................

Bookmark and Share
    On a semi-related note. Will we have a dedicated draft thread we can post in during the draft?
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Timmons is more suited for the outside. Foote?? Foote is old and slow. We need a younger, more rugged guy for the ILB. Someone like Hightower. I can tell you this, the Ravens want Hightower and he will be a Raven if we don't take him.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Quote Originally Posted by JensK View Post
    On a semi-related note. Will we have a dedicated draft thread we can post in during the draft?
    i made one, ill bump it

Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    Timmons is more suited for the outside. Foote?? Foote is old and slow. We need a younger, more rugged guy for the ILB. Someone like Hightower. I can tell you this, the Ravens want Hightower and he will be a Raven if we don't take him.
    timmons used to be more suited for the outside. did you see him play the outside last year? it wasnt pretty. he has grown into the MLB role, now hes gonna take farriors spot...even better for him

Timmons is huge in the upper torso. So I see what your saying. But I still think he's more suited for the outside. You have to remember that this year, there will be OTA's, camps and pre-season so that Timmons can get a real feel for the outside LB position. I still think that's where he ends up. That lockout year made it tough on a lot of guys to adapt to certain positions.

I just came from rotoworld.com and they put up their mock today and they have Hightower also going to Kansas City at # 11. Really pisses me off.

So, here are the Steelers strongest position needs that might be useless in determining who they draft tonight -- offensive tackle or guard, nose tackle, inside linebacker, cornerback. Doesn't mean they won't draft an outside linebacker or a wide receiver or even a safety.

So, in trying to determine who they actually might take with the No. 24 pick, barring trades to move up or back in the round, it really comes down to an educated guess.

The Steelers aren't giving away their draft board, and they don't know who most of the teams ahead of them will draft, thus who will be available at their turn.

An educated guess, then, might show a handful of players: Nose tackle Dontari Poe of Memphis, Alabama linebacker Dont'a Hightower, Ohio State offensive tackle Mike Adams, Wisconsin guard Kevin Zeitler and outside linebacker Nick Perry of Southern California.

Start with Poe. Mel Kiper ranks him No. 1 at defensive tackle. Others aren't so sure. While he set the combine afire, he did not do that often enough to suit many. The Steelers prefer performance on the field vs. workouts in shorts, and they rarely take first-round risks. There may be better fits for them in the later rounds such as Josh Chapman or Hebron Fangupo.

Hightower: James Farrior is gone, and they need to find a replacement while Larry Foote holds the fort. He's the perfect fit, defensive captain for Alabama and a leader like Farrior. But that would be two inside linebackers in the first round in six years.

Adams: Good tackles are hard to find, and he's a good one. The Steelers have done a load of research on him and have determined there are no character issues, despite his reported positive test for marijuana use. They haven't drafted an offensive tackle in the first round since '96.

Zeitler: Plug him in at guard for the next 10 years. Solid, solid player. Guards are not often picked in the first round, but the Steelers have done it twice since '98 with Alan Faneca and Kendall Simmons.

Perry: He's a defensive end in a 4-3 and would convert to outside linebacker with the Steelers, so he would need a year or so, and he would have it playing behind James Harrison.

The pick: Hightower. If the Steelers don't grab him, the Patriots will be drooling at the thought of it.

Draft Pick
    Holy cow it's not even May and the sky is already falling. We're doomed, doomed I say!

My Mood
    Roflol
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    really , how did Timmons do filling in for Harrison? Before you try to spin it your way, he he terrible. No edge rush pressure at all. Woirlds was better then Timmons on the outside and thats not saying a whole lot. I don't disagree with you that we need a young explosive ILB. But if it happens don't bet on him starting unless he blows the doors off in camp.
    Fear da Beard

I don't always post, but when I do its on SteelerAddicts.com

Sponsered by the following:
    Cookies, Air, TP

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Don't discount Foote yet. He knows that defense inside and out and knows how to make the correct calls in the huddle and at the last minute on the line when the QB audibles or the offense changes up the formation.

Timmons can play outside but his strength is inside.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Don't discount Foote yet. He knows that defense inside and out and knows how to make the correct calls in the huddle and at the last minute on the line when the QB audibles or the offense changes up the formation.

Timmons can play outside but his strength is inside.
    Don't get me wrong, I love Foote and all that he's done. But we need an injection of youth and speed. That's all.

Thread Information