Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why the 2012 Steelers draft is so important.

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Lightbulb Why the 2012 Steelers draft is so important.

The Steelers can't afford to miss on too many picks in the 2012 draft, and in the coming years as well. Now sure, you can say that for just about any year but for the foreseeable future it's even more important than usual.

Overall 2011 was a very good draft. Marcus Gilbert, Curtis Brown, Cortez Allen, Cameron Heyward, Baron Batch all look like the real deal. Chris Carter has potential too.

2010 was a good draft too when you consider the starters or potential starters from that class. Maurkice Pouncey, Emmanuel Sanders, Antonio Brown, Stevenson Sylvester, Jonathan Dwyer.

However there have been some serious misses in the early to mid round over the last 6 years or so. Guys that were gone within a year or two after being drafted. I understand you can't hit on everyone, and nobody expects you to do so. However beyond the obvious statement that 1st and 2nd rounders need to be home runs, you can make a strong case that 3rd and 4th rounders are too, or atleast the vast majority of the time. When you spend that much money and put that much effort into drafting guys high, you need them to pan out.

Limas Sweed - 2nd
    Kraig Urbik - 2nd
    Thaddeus Gibson - 4th
    Bruce Davis - 3rd
    Tony Hills - 4th
    Ryan McBean - 4th
    Crezdon Butler - 5th
    Anthony Smith - 3rd
    Willie Reid - 3rd

In 2012 and beyond with more and more older players retiring or being released, you need to start seeing the fruits of your labor pan out and not end up in the unemployment line.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 04-25-2012 at 02:25 PM.

D-Sep IMO is considered a bust...
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    D-Sep IMO is considered a bust...
    4th rounders dont really "bust" and dsep was great. his knee was just shot. sometimes great players get hurt, had his knee been good hed consistently be a top 3 punter

My Mood
    Fine
    Urbik they didn't give enough time and the lockout hurt. Mcbean went to Denver and did well and it pissed ArtII off. Crezdon Butler should still be on this team and could of been a Safety. Why they cut him I just dont understand he actually catches the ball for INT's.

Limas I was so excited that we got him such a shame. I'd bring him in to camp and see if his heads right.

Veteran
    My Mood
    Blah
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Limas Sweed - 2nd
    Kraig Urbik - 2nd
    Thaddeus Gibson - 4th
    Bruce Davis - 3rd
    Tony Hills - 4th
    Ryan McBean - 4th
    Crezdon Butler - 5th
    Anthony Smith - 3rd
    Willie Reid - 3rd
    Jason Worilds - 2nd

FYI, Urbik was our 2nd pick that year but it was in the 3rd round. We had no 2nd round pick, though I don't recall why.

My Mood
    Impatient
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolrog View Post
    Jason Worilds - 2nd

FYI, Urbik was our 2nd pick that year but it was in the 3rd round. We had no 2nd round pick, though I don't recall why.
    It was a draft day trade, traded our second for 2 thirds basically. We drafted Wallace, Urbik and Lewis in the 3rd.

this draft is important because we have needs, not HUGE needs besides guard. but needs that are only going to get bigger at NT and MLB could be stopped now rather than when its too late (like how we let the oline get)

Veteran
    My Mood
    Blah
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    this draft is important because we have needs, not HUGE needs besides guard. but needs that are only going to get bigger at NT and MLB could be stopped now rather than when its too late (like how we let the oline get)
    I think the need at NT is also HUGE. Even though Hampton is still on the roster, he's coming back from a significant injury and will miss most if not the entire year. So we have an undrafted guy and no one else. Other than that, I agree with your assessment.

I have the exact same feeling about OLB and S next year in fact. Let's get the future guys now before it's too late.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolrog View Post
    Jason Worilds - 2nd
    Ok in his limited time last year he has 3 sacks and a Forced Fumble

Harrison has 9 sacks and 2 forced fumbles, Woodley has the same stat.

Is he really that bad?

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    To me, a good ILB can be found in the middle rounds. But getting that O-line together and getting that nose tackle are the areas we need to use our first two picks on.

Don't get me wrong, I think Hightower can be a great player for us if we select him first but what type of offensive guard can we get in the 2nd round that can come in and start? If the front office has an offensive guard that they know can come in and start, then I'd feel a lot better.

We really need to hit on our first 3 picks. Love to hit on all of them the way that Reese of the Giants did on all 8 of their picks back in 2005 but if the first 3 picks could come in and start, that would be great.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Thread Information