Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: K Trains's final steeler mock

Bookmark and Share

K Trains's final steeler mock

I went 3/3 in the first 3 rounds last years....last year is going to be so difficult to top, but heres my write up about what i think should happen combined with what i think will happen

I honestly have a bad feeling about this first pick

1) Kevin Zeitler G Wisconsin

Well i should be hammered by pick 24, and thats probably a good thing because i do not like this pick at all, it doesnt make me permanently hate zeitler, a fate suffered by much of the 09 draft class but it will make me sad. I do not think theres value here for a guard of zeitlers caliber. I actually think this is taking him a full round too early, but that being said going into the 2012 season with doug legursky as the starting LG again just makes my stomach churn. I think zeitler will be a fine player, but im not sold on him being anything more than a middle of the pack guard (unfortunately middle of the pack is a huge upgrade for us)

Dream Pick: David Decastro
    Possible better picks: Cordy Glenn, Dontari Poe
    Picks i wouldnt mind: Donta Hightower, Mark Barron, stephen hill, Coby Fleener, Nick Perry, Bobby Massie
    Picks i hate: Jonathan Marin, Jerel Worthy

2) Mike Adams OT Ohio State

Heres something that would excite me. OMG HE FAILED A DRUG TEST?!?! I dont care, and in the second round i dont think the steelers will either. Weed simply is not a deal breaker in the NFL anymore. Had the league took the hard stance on marijuana the league would have had to shut down. Adams is a smart kid, like actually intelligent. It wasnt the best choice for him to smoke prior to the combine but the steelers have had several meetings at the combine, OSU pro day, and personal visit/workout. Im can imagine theyd be too deterred from the report of a failed test...if they like him, they probably still do. He has elite size and he had a pretty great season. Could play on the left or the right side, but definitely looks the part of a LT. He had some great senior bowl practices and looked good in the drills at the combine (not the best triangle numbers, but 6-8 guys arent bench pressers). Santonio Holmes (i still miss him) was a dick and a bad team mate, but the steelers definitely got a return on investment with him in that they got the best out of him before they moved him. Adams could very well fall to the bottom of the second, but i think it would be difficult for the steelers to pass on such a intriguing specimen here.

He may not fall this far, but im predicting a bit of a slide.

Other possible picks: Amini Silatolu, Mychal Kendricks, Brandon Brooks, Alemeda Taamu, Mohamed Sanu, Ashlon Jeffrey, Kelechi Osemele

3) Isaiah Pead RB Cincy

If pead is here i fully expect him to the pick. I really do like Pead and i like that hes not getting too much attention because he is probably capable of coming in and being a day one contributor. The steelers situation at RB is abysmal....i like dwyer but who knows with him, and then we have clay and redman who are about as fast as guards, and we have batch who is a 3rd down back whos never had a real action NFL carry. Pead spells the end of mendenhall, hes not as good but hes has some great tools to work with and his decisive running style and his vision reminds me of lesean mccoy.

Other possiblities: Brandon Washington, Bobby Wagner, Brandon Boykin, Mitchell Schwartz, Greg Childs, Jared Crick

4) Josh Chapman NT Alabama

Solid, tough player that did all the dirty work for that elite alabama defense. Played all year on a bum knee and has some teams concerned medically, but in round 4 hes worth this pick. Hes very stout, very disciplined, and wins battles in the trenches. Hes powerful and isnt really only a two down player imo, he has some pocket collapsing ability. Would be a tremendous replacement for hampton

other picks: Hebron Fangupu, TY Hilton, Joe Adams

5) Chase Minnifield

Excellent zone corner prospect, could also get some action at FS. Had microfracture surgery but imo was better than chris cook and ras-i dowling. Very natural cover skills, return ability, and top notch ball skills. Makes big plays both as a CB and as a return man. Falls a bit because of a somewhat deep corner class and his injury concerns, but we dont need an immediate contributor at CB....realistically i like him as Keenan Lewis's replacement

6) Devier Posey WR Ohio State

Im actually surprised hes not a higher ranked WR, but thats what suspensions and inconsistency will do to you. WR is a need here, i think he could come in and be an insurance policy against losing wallace or having him not care or play. Worht a late round flyer, was a top recruit and showed some flashes at Ohio State during his limited time there

7) Vontaze Burfict

Breaks my heart to see this historically bad plummet down draft boards....steelers could definitely harness his talent though, hes on field crazy and needs work and needs to be in better shape but he showed TONS of potential two years ago, he had a down year....id like to think hes not willing to fall off the face of the football world, hes too talented to just let sit there. This is a strategy to get him away from the ravens...agree or not, they are going to be interested in bring in the guy who was supposed to be the next ray lewis to learn from ray lewis.

7) Chad Deihl

Hes a big disciplined blocking FB that doesn miss assignments and destroys the hole. Haley does like the FB, he went after leron Mcclain when he was in KC so maybe bringing in a true FB is more likely now than it has been over the last 5 years.

7) Greg Zuerlein K Missouri western state

Im mocking a kicker here every year until we find one. Bring him in to compete...its worth it
    Last edited by K Train; 04-25-2012 at 12:32 PM.

2nd String
    you have another 7th ... they have 4 7th round picks

If the draft played out like this i would be real happy ...

i actually like Zeitler in the 1st now i don't think he's a left guard , but he's excellent on the right side and a beast run blocking , not the best in space as showed in 1 on 1 drills but as a team he shines...
    great value with Adams in the 2nd if he falls that far ...and love chapman in the 4th

and you picked the right kicker ...Zuerlein is the best kicker in the draft, maybe the best kicker in a while

if zeitler is a RG only idk what that makes doug legursky lol

edit:

Watch out for Alabama LB Jerell Harris in the 6th or 7th round. Special teamer with some upside, especially if they miss on teammate Hightower. Reminds me of Josh Bynes from Auburn

Taze failed a drug test, im removing him from my rankings all together, id be shocked if hes on a roster....ever

My Mood
    Fine
    Nice. Would you take Bobby Massie in the first? I'm all for trading down and getting the extra 2nd & 3rd or 2nd & 4th.

yeah id probably be ok with massie at 24, trading down is touchy for me. i want either a next year first or this year seconds. trading down for 4th-7ths just isnt worth it at all to me.

massie has work to do but he definitely has a lot of potential

My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    yeah id probably be ok with massie at 24, trading down is touchy for me. i want either a next year first or this year seconds. trading down for 4th-7ths just isnt worth it at all to me.

massie has work to do but he definitely has a lot of potential
    a 2nd & 3rd could give us A Guard,Tackle,RB & NT or TWo Guard,RB,FS. NT in 4th

could, but it could also give us too many developmental guys or bums that wont make the roster. this team needs quality.... quantity is not what we need since most of the roster is already quality, middle of the pack rookies arent going to be able to compete for playing time early. Not many huge holes like some teams, we dont need extra picks we need good pick

1 decastro>>>>>>>>>>>3-4 2nd and 3rd round picks

thats an extreme example, but the team is talented with a few holes and a few depth needs to prevent them from becoming holes in the future

My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    could, but it could also give us too many developmental guys or bums that wont make the roster. this team needs quality.... quantity is not what we need since most of the roster is already quality, middle of the pack rookies arent going to be able to compete for playing time early. Not many huge holes like some teams, we dont need extra picks we need good pick

1 decastro>>>>>>>>>>>3-4 2nd and 3rd round picks

thats an extreme example, but the team is talented with a few holes and a few depth needs to prevent them from becoming holes in the future
    JEn K asked that question about moving up for Decastro if he was at 17. THat makes sense. I just looked at it as we can get we can get your 2nd,3rd,4th round mock picks plus another Brooks, Osemele or Massie. Just what I'm thinking.

2nd String
    Massie, Zeitler or Massie, Brooks or Massie, Washington combo >>>>>>>> just Decastro

or any combo of the 2nd round tackles and guards

Thread Information