Thread: Mendenhall moving forward with lawsuit against Champion

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Mendenhall moving forward with lawsuit against Champion

Mendenhall's lawsuit is apparently moving forward now after a judge ruled that he's at least got a legitimate gripe against Champion for cancelling his endorsement contract.

After Steelers running back Rashard Mendenhall wrote on Twitter that no one should celebrate the death of Osama bin Laden, and questioned whether the collapse of the World Trade Center towers was really caused by hijacked planes, the athletic apparel company Champion ended its sponsorship relationship with him. Mendenhall responded by filing a lawsuit, and a judge has now decided to let that lawsuit move forward.

Whether Mendenhall’s lawsuit against Hanesbrands, the parent company of Champion, will ultimately be successful is a long way down the road. But the judge has ruled that Mendenhall has a plausible claim that Hanesbrands breached its contract with Mendenhall.

The Hollywood Reporter says Mendenhall’s lawsuit is being watched closely in the entertainment industry, where many celebrities have endorsement deals that contain clauses stipulating that the celebrity can’t do anything that would make the company he endorses look bad. The result of Mendenhall’s lawsuit may make companies and celebrities re-think the wording of those contractual clauses.

And for Mendenhall, the judge’s ruling is a step toward making Champion pay him the rest of the money on his endorsement deal, even though it’s probably safe to say we won’t see him appearing in any Champion ads again.

From PFT

Veteran
    Just becuase the judge allowed the suit to move foward doesn't mean he's gonna win. I'd say he's got an uphill battle in that one.

My Mood
    Addicted
    It's a long shot at best.

C-town

Freedom of Speech no matter how stupid?? But the business has its own contract rules so we dont know.. so good luck Mendy.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Remember the 1992 Summer Games when Michael Jordan and a few other members of the USA basketball team covered the Reeboks logos on their outfits when they accepted their gold medals? They didn't want to violate their contracts with Nike.

If Mendy's contract had some sort of 'don't do anything causing negative publicity clause in it', he loses.

Tailgating in the 'burgh

Rookie Free Agent JoeSteelerFan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cynical

My Social Networks

Follow JoeSteelerFan On Twitter
    Something about Mendenhall that just doesn't sit well with me.

Yeah, I just don't like him ... that's it.
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoeSteelerFan

My Mood
    Roflol
    Doubt very much you will see him appear in Any endorsements from here on in.
    Fear da Beard

I don't always post, but when I do its on SteelerAddicts.com

Sponsered by the following:
    Cookies, Air, TP

Rookie Free Agent Njsteelersnut's Avatar
    My Mood
    Manic
    You have to wonder where his head is at times......first he makes the slavery comment......then the Bin Laden comments....one piece of advice i have for Mendy is.......STFU!!!!!
    Last edited by Njsteelersnut; 04-25-2012 at 08:05 AM.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I would like to see Mendy get one more shot with the Steelers with a healthy line and Haley in charge. Dude is still very young.

C-town

My Mood
    Addicted
    Professional athletes have to learn somehow that they have to watch what they say. If it's by losing his endorsement deal with Champion, then so be it. If Mendenhall wins this case then there will be no lesson learned.

Thread Information