Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much longer to draft a Safety for the Steelers?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Question How much longer to draft a Safety for the Steelers?

Steeldad and I were talking about this on the podcast last night (which by the way will be loaded up tonight). How much longer do you wait to draft a Safety to eventually replace either Clark or Polamalu?

The only real legit Safety, Mark Barron out of Alabama will likely be gone to the Cowboys, if not sooner. I have read some reports that say he could fall depending on how things pan out but likely not to #24. There is some good value picks in the mid rounds like Trumaine Johnson, Montana; Brandon Taylor, LSU. Maybe in round 6 with Aaron Henry from Wisconsin.

Do they really need one yet? They've gotten by with Polamalu and Clark for a long time, and Mundy as the backup. Clark is going into his 10th season now and is still playing at a high level but I wouldn't be totally shocked if Tomlin goes after some additional Safety help mid to late round if they can find good value.

clark is not playing at a high level lol, thats such a myth

i like to pretend that cotez allen is the future at FS, barron could be a pick...wouldnt be too too crazy about it but it would sure up either safety spot for the forseeable future. just an abysmal safety class though

My Mood
    Fine
    Yes they need one or two. Both Troy and Ryan Clark need more backups/eventual replacements. If we could pickup a Quality FS or CB I'm all for moving Ike to FS now and Have Cortez Allen & Lewis,Brown orRookie like Gilmore at CB.
    Ryan Clark has had good years every other year and It may be time for him to goto the dime package the way DeShea did.

ANy Chance they put Lewis or Allen at FS? I see Allen as the starting CB.

My Mood
    Fine
    Trenton Robinson,Keith Tandy,Jeremy Jones of Wayne st, Josh Norman or Bethel Johnson would be great selections 4th round on.

Quote Originally Posted by JollyRob68 View Post
    Yes they need one or two. Both Troy and Ryan Clark need more backups/eventual replacements. If we could pickup a Quality FS or CB I'm all for moving Ike to FS now and Have Cortez Allen & Lewis,Brown orRookie like Gilmore at CB.
    Ryan Clark has had good years every other year and It may be time for him to goto the dime package the way DeShea did.

ANy Chance they put Lewis or Allen at FS? I see Allen as the starting CB.
    Cortez played some FS, Curtis brown is a much more pure corner i think. Hes not versatile between CB and FS like allen and lewis are.

And NO we dont want clark in on dime packages, thats a step backwards. He needs to be pulled in passing packages

Clark sucks, Troy is no longer playing like the old Troy, IMO you need to address this soon!

Veteran
    Safety is one of the positions that I think we'll address high in the draft next year. OLB as well.

It's unlikely that we'll look for one this year, at least not early. The holes at NT, OL (and ILB to a lesser extent) are massive and must be addressed high. I for one would not be surpised to see something like ILB, NT, G, T or something like that in the first 4 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Cortez played some FS, Curtis brown is a much more pure corner i think. Hes not versatile between CB and FS like allen and lewis are and NO we dont want clark in on dime packages, thats a step backwards. He needs to be pulled in passing packages
    If allen takes the #2 spot, and curtis is the backup, maybe Lewis can go FS.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Next year is considered a bounty class for safety with 7 to 8 considered first round material. Can we get by one more year?

Is Barron first round material or just the best of a weak class?

Can Myron Rolle surprise?

C-town

Rookie Free Agent
    My Mood
    Aggressive

My Social Networks

Add tgunn86 on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by ChucktownSteeler View Post
    Next year is considered a bounty class for safety with 7 to 8 considered first round material. Can we get by one more year?

Is Barron first round material or just the best of a weak class?

Can Myron Rolle surprise?

C-town

I am happy to say we have done pretty well with the safety play all these years. I mean, Its not an immediate need per-say and yes Barron definitely is first round material, he's too smart and athletic

Thread Information