Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wallace won't sign until June 15th at the earliest

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Exclamation Wallace won't sign until June 15th at the earliest

Now that it's official that restricted free agent Mike Wallace won't play for anybody but the Steelers in 2012 -- the deadline for another team to offer Wallace an offer sheet was Friday -- now we have to question whether Wallace wants to play at all.

According to ESPN.com's Adam Schefter, Wallace is willing to hold out from offseason workouts and part of training camp and that he won't sign his first-round tender "until he has to.”

In reality, he doesn't have to sign it at all.

But if he doesn't ink his name, there's a very strong chance he'll lose out on his ability to make $2.74 million for 2012. While Wallace and the Steelers say they're looking to sign a long-term deal to keep the talented receiver in Pittsburgh for many years, it appears that the two sides aren't close to agreeing on a price.

There have been reports that Wallace is looking for Larry Fitzgerald type money (in the eight-year, $120 million range), but Wallace also has downplayed the truth of those rumors.

If Wallace doesn't sign his tender by June 15, though, the Steelers could cut his offer to as little as $577,000 (110 percent of his 2011 salary). Or he could hold out longer. As PFT reminds us, Wallace could skip “training camp and the preseason and up to 10 weeks of the regular season. At that point, he could sign the tender, receive the prorated base salary under the $577,000 tender (i.e., $237,000), and then become an unrestricted free agent (subject to the franchise or transition tag) in 2013.”

CBS Sports

Veteran
    I still think it's likely that they come to a multi-year agreeement with Wallace.

He needs to be there from day 1 to start learning the new offense.

My Mood
    no mood
    I'm so tired of this already. He needs to be signed and start learning the new offense as soon as possible. I would rather the Steelers in the next couple days say here is the contract for multiple years sign it or tell us no today. If he signs it then its a win, if not then start shopping him for some more picks.

I love Mike Wallace on the field, but I hate what I'm seeing here. At this point he needs his head in the game he needs to shut and nut up. I just don't see the point he has no bargaining chips other then to show his selfishness. A 2nd and a 3rd would be nice or two 2nd round picks. Right now every time he opens his mouth his value drops even more in my eyes.

James Harrison - "Right now, you know, some people may want to jump on the Steelers bandwagon.
    Don't do that. We don't need you. We didn't need you at the beginning, we don't need you now."

The rule itself is hopelessly ridiculous anyway. Players should not have that long to decide that they can be asked to play for a team which offer him almost 3 million to play. He should stand in the building when Steelers ask him to, or he can take the paycut and go feel sorry for himself for teams in the NFL being realistic.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

My Mood
    Roflol
    Obviously none of us really know whats going on behind the scenes, but with the cap situation this year and even next year I can't see where the multi year contract is going to come from. I should hope that the $120 mil rumor is really a joke because even though Wallace is a good reciever he's not in the class of a Larry Fitz. I mean look at what Fitz has done with lesser QB's. Do you think 17 could do what he did and not have anyone of note at the other WR spot? Not likely. As much as I would love to see Wallace have a long career in Pitt I just don't see it happening. At least not until some situations change.
    Fear da Beard

I don't always post, but when I do its on SteelerAddicts.com

Sponsered by the following:
    Cookies, Air, TP

No big deal. It's not like he needs mini camps, OTA's and that stuff all he's really good at is running fast in a strait line.
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Social Networks

Follow CoachC On Twitter Add CoachC on Facebook
    Whoever Wallace is listening to has led him stray. He is not worth the money that he is asking for and now he has cost himself a junk ton of money this season. If he holds out, the only person he is hurting is himself. He could sign now, make 2million dollars and hit the open market, maybe, next year. Or he could hold out, make a couple hundred thousand and hurt his name, his wallet, and possibly risk injury that will kill his shot of getting a contract later on down the road...

He would be a complete fool not to sign and risk all that...

That being said, I would not trade him because when he does see the field he is going to play amazing this season, in hopes of getting a big deal!
    "To play this game you must have fire in you, and there is nothing that strokes fire like hate."

My Mood
    Frustrated
    Quote Originally Posted by CoachC View Post
    Whoever Wallace is listening to has led him stray. He is not worth the money that he is asking for and now he has cost himself a junk ton of money this season. If he holds out, the only person he is hurting is himself. He could sign now, make 2million dollars and hit the open market, maybe, next year. Or he could hold out, make a couple hundred thousand and hurt his name, his wallet, and possibly risk injury that will kill his shot of getting a contract later on down the road...
    Right there is his problem! Whomever his agent or "Home Boys" are that are in his ear is screwing him over... That's what usually happens to a lot of these young athletes.

My Social Networks

Follow CoachC On Twitter Add CoachC on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSteel15 View Post
    Right there is his problem! Whomever his agent or "Home Boys" are that are in his ear is screwing him over... That's what usually happens to a lot of these young athletes.
    Yup, sad to see... I wonder if his agent or boys will still be there if he ends up broke, hurt, with no contract at all...

Wallace has the skills to be a top flight receiver and guy. Hopefully this all blows over and is resolved soon!
    "To play this game you must have fire in you, and there is nothing that strokes fire like hate."

My Mood
    Fine
    Kevin Colbert should address it Monday at his pre-draft press conference. I hope Wallace is in town and Signs it on monday if not trade him for at least a second rounder this year and another pick or pick next year. Rams,Vikings,Dolphins.

Thread Information