Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wallace won't sign until June 15th at the earliest

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted
    I hope this i snot true, but if it is Wallace will probably be traded. He is not worth that type of money and even if he was the Steelers can't pay it, where they are with the cap.

I hope a reasonable long term deal can be reach, barring that a trade (Seahawks).

C-town

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Hold out against the Steelers? For a long term contract with numbers he thinks he's worth? Interesting.

Tailgating in the 'burgh

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace may not be happy about his current contract situation, but there's not much he can do about it. The Steelers know it.

"We're not worried about the reports. He's still here. We will deal with it day to day," GM Kevin Colbert said at a pre-draft press conference Monday.

There is no reason for the Steelers to be worried. They say Wallace's situation won't affect their draft plans. ESPN reported that Wallace won't attend voluntary work anytime soon, choosing to wait before signing his one-year tender as a restricted free agent.

NFL.com

Wallace is a douche!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Is restricted free agency heading toward extinction?

By Dan Hanzus NFL.com

If you were left perplexed by the lack of an offer from another team for Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace when he was a restricted free agent, you weren't alone.

Wallace is coming off back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons and is just entering his prime at 25. He's an established playmaker who stretches the field and finds the end zone. Beyond that, the Steelers' precarious cap situation meant he could've been had with a front-loaded deal.

So what happened? As it turns out, the restricted free agency system itself hurt Wallace. Players once moved regularly in this system, but now it's near extinction. According to ESPN.com's Andrew Brandt, between 2003 and 2008, 20 RFAs changed teams via an offer sheet. But since 2009, just one player -- running back Mike Bell -- has done so.

A lot of this goes back to draft picks. Now that the new collective bargaining agreement has lessened the financial obligation to incoming rookies, teams are far less willing to part ways with their picks.

Signing someone to an expensive deal and giving away the rights to draft a cost-effective young player is simply too steep a price.

Don't expect a resurgence in the RFA market, either. The new CBA mandates all rookie contracts to have a term of four years, eliminating the third-year restricted free agency for every player drafted between 2011 and 2020. The only players eligible to become restricted free agents will be undrafted players and drafted players whose four-year deals didn't last.

So yes, restricted free agency is headed toward dinosaur status. Don't take it personally, Mike Wallace.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Coach Mike Tomlin said he is not bothered about reports about whether wide receiver Mike Wallace will play for the Steelers this season.

And general manager Kevin Colbert said the Steelers' goal remains the same: To sign their Pro Bowl receiver to a contract that will keep him with the team for a long time.

Wallace did not receive any offers from other NFL teams before last Friday night -- the deadline for restricted free agents to sign with another team. But he has also not signed the $2.7 million offer he was tendered as a restricted free agent by the Steelers -- and there have been various reports that he might not do so.

"We're not worried about reports," Tomlin said today during a pre-draft news conference on the South Side. "There were reports he was going somewhere every day in restricted free agency and he's still here. So we'll deal with it day to day."
    "Our goal with Mike has always been and always will be to sign him to a long-term contract," Colbert said

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...uation-632755/

My Mood
    Addicted
    The only ace he has is to sit out the first 10 games, sign for $551,000.00 and be a UFA next year.

C-town

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Wallace will try and come back late, blow a hamstring over training and be done for the year. That's what usually happens.

I predict that Sanders has a breakout year.

Sanders will get plenty of reps alongside Brown and those two speed monsters along with Cotchery will give us the passing game we are looking for.

In my mind, Wallace is already gone.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    He'll get a real warm welcome in his first home game if he pulls that crap.

I just don't get what he and his agent are hoping to accomplish with a hold-out, other than the animosity of The Nation and the organization. Don't try to back the organization into a corner. Sign the waiver. Report to camp. Learn the system. Perform during the season. Work on a new contract. If it doesn't work out here, then court new teams next year.

Tailgating in the 'burgh

My Mood
    Ornery
    Wallace gambled and lost....round one to Colbert!
    The Tradition Continues!!!

Thread Information