Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Last day for someone to offer a trade for Mike Wallace

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Exclamation Last day for someone to offer a trade for Mike Wallace

There's still a chance for a team to swoop in, literally at the last minute now to try and steal away Mike Wallace. If somebody does want his services, this is the day we were going to see it. After all the initial hype and frenzy about so many teams wanting him, many feel if an offer is going to come it would be on the last day. If Wallace is still wanting that $120+ million contract, nobody will come within a mile of him.

Just sign the deal man, if you have an ounce of sense in your head you know the Steelers will make good on their word to keep you on the team long term. Holding out is not the answer if you truly want to stay in Pittsburgh.

As the hours tick away on Mike Wallace's opportunity to sign with another team today, so too does the life of restricted free agency for drafted players in the NFL.

Wallace has until midnight to sign with another team or the Steelers retain exclusive rights to him. That would leave three choices for Wallace and the Steelers: Either he signs his one-year tender for $2,745,000, comes to terms on a multiple-year deal with them, or he sits out.

Either way, Wallace and those like him who were drafted and became restricted free agents after three years in the league are on their way toward extinction, thanks to the new collective bargaining agreement between the league and the players union.
    The CBA, hammered out last year, mandates that starting with the draft class of 2011, all players chosen in rounds two through seven must sign four-year contracts; those selected in the first round sign five-year deals -- four years plus a fifth at the team's option.

Restricted free agency will be left only to those rookies who are undrafted. Because the length of their contracts are not mandated by the CBA, rookies can sign with a team for any negotiated number of years. If an undrafted rookie chooses to sign for three years, he will become a restricted free agent when his deal expires. - Ed Bouchette

we could still trade him, this is more teams last chance to steal him on an offer sheet

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    we could still trade him, this is more teams last chance to steal him on an offer sheet
    I was just about to say the same thing. After today, Wallace can either play for us on that tender or not play at all (though I don't think it will come to that.)

I kinda hope we trade him...

Rookie Free Agent JoeSteelerFan's Avatar
    My Mood
    Cynical

My Social Networks

Follow JoeSteelerFan On Twitter
    After making the statement that he feels he's due Larry Fitz type of money, most teams probably thing this young man as a serious drug problem.

..... just sayin'
    Follow me on Twitter: @JoeSteelerFan

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Obviously, Wallace is not as highly valued as a superstar which he and his agent seem to think he should be. Yes he is fast and one of the league's top deep threats, but the deep ball is not a major part of most offenses these days.
    I doubt that under Haley the Steelers will take as many shots down the field. It's actually a rather low percentage play; but that didn't stop Arians from going to this well way too often,which is why he a and his 22 points-per-game offense is gone.
    In 2012, Wallace will need to prove his value in terms of shorter routes, and in terms of how many yds. after the catch he can get. Antonio Brown may be better in those areas. Sanders is a bit of a question mark because of injuries.
    It's a bit of a longshot, but would not be too oversurprised if Steelers use their 1rst round pick to go after Stanford TE Toby Fleener, to give them that Gronkowski, Jimmy Graham type of weapon. One thing is sure: Steeler Offense will be different in 2012. It has to become more potent if Steelers are to beat top teams: NE, GB, NO, etc.
    STEELSPIKES

Haley is the crossing route guru, MW is too big of a puss to work the center of the field IMO..

thats taking the dramatic stance on wallace. not nearly that soft, not even close

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    thats taking the dramatic stance on wallace. not nearly that soft, not even close
    Im with K on this, wallace has a lot of catches crossing.. well as many as BA really didnt call.

Not sure if crossing routes, slants and timed routes were on BA's game cartridge.

Haley will have a whole new offense, wallce will play fine. I just would have liked the texans or broncos #1 pick...

I hope you guys are right, to me he seemed to want to lay down.

Thread Information