Thread: Why the Steelers have to play in Denver...again!

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Question Why the Steelers have to play in Denver...again!

We're all unhappy campers in the Steeler Nation ever since the schedule came out and we saw on week 1 that it's out to Denver to play again, minus Ryan Clark of course.

Ed Bouchette's blog points out some reasons why the Steelers are stuck traveling to mile high yet again.

Reader: I think people's gripes with going to Denver and about having to play at Denver....Again. It's part perception, part legitimate issue. In the last decade the Broncos have come to Pittsburgh once, in 2006. In that same decade, the Steelers have played regular season games in Denver in 2003, 2007, 2009 and now in 2012, along with a preseason game in 2010 and a post season game in 2011. Steelers fans have those away games stuck in their heads because Ryan Clark can't play in them and it seems as if the NFL really wants Pittsburgh to play in Denver and not the other way around. This pattern of scheduling seems to fly in the face of what the NFL said it wanted to do when it changed the scheduling rotation as it applies to interdivisional play.

Ed: The NFL has a schedule of opponents for each team that rotates and involves only two wild cards Ė in which a team plays two AFC opponents based on where each finishes in its divisions, as the Steelers do this year with the Jets and Titans, both finishing second in their divisions, as did the Steelers. A few years ago, I believe it was 2009, the NFL made a slight adjustment to the rotation of home and away games because they were trying to mitigate teams from the East Coast having to travel to the West Coast too often in one season. The Steelers also play in Oakland. That is why San Diego will make its third straight appearance here (fourth if you count the playoff game in the 2009 season) since 2008 and the Steelers will make their third straight trip to Denver since 2007. We can debate all we want about whether flying to Denver vs. flying to San Diego makes a hill of difference, but thatís how the NFL saw it. Itís the same reason why the Steelers have played at Arizona twice since 2007 and the Cardinals have not played here in that time, but Seattle has played here twice since 2007 and the Steelers have not gone there during that time. The NFL did not just change the Steelers schedule in this instance, they did it to all affected by it. In this case, the league was trying to do what it thought was fair for travel purposes.

Link to his blog for the full chat transcript.

I think it's fn stupid! Let them come here for a change!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Addicted
    "A few years ago, I believe it was 2009, the NFL made a slight adjustment to the rotation of home and away games because they were trying to mitigate teams from the East Coast having to travel to the West Coast too often in one season."

we go west coast, east coast, west coast, the first 3 weeks of the season...

Ehh. Im not gonna complain, seems to me we play the Patriots and Chargers at home anymore

If the Steelers get through the 1st half of the season, they're home free.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibleedblk&gld View Post
    "A few years ago, I believe it was 2009, the NFL made a slight adjustment to the rotation of home and away games because they were trying to mitigate teams from the East Coast having to travel to the West Coast too often in one season."

we go west coast, east coast, west coast, the first 3 weeks of the season...

Yup, that was my gripe early on..then they can justify the early bye they stick the Steelers with every stinkin year by saying "oh well you'll need the rest after traveling the globe in 3 weeks.

As far as the Broncos guy, Ryan Clark or no Ryan Clark I'm just tired of playing there.

My Mood
    Fine
    I'm glad its the first game which means we'll get to see what we have beside Ryan Clark at FS. Perhaps it will push Clark to the DIME package like they did with Deshea Townsend.

Thread Information