Thread: What is with this Cornerback talk in the first round for the Steelers

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Question What is with this Cornerback talk in the first round for the Steelers

Can somebody please rationalize to me why in the world the Steelers would even consider taking a Cornerback in the first round of 2012?

I know that Tomlin said at the owners meetings that they will look at all positions for quality players, etc. but there is no reason on earth to take a CB in round one, period.

You just spend 2 draft picks in 2011 on guys that showed a good upside in Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen. You have Keenan Lewis on the roster who figures to battle it out with the other 2 for the starting job. William Gay left, so what! You have 4 cornerbacks on the roster now, including Taylor, that should give you ample coverage at that position.

Allen spent time in the dime defense last year before getting hurt. Lebeau said he was very confident in his abilities.

Needs at offensive line, NT, and linebacker far outweigh anything CB wise.

Perhaps a later round pick for additional depth to have in camp and what not but that's it.

Taking Hightower with the 24th overall pick makes sense for the Steelers. But I don't see this as a slam-dunk choice. The Steelers could look at offensive line and cornerback in the first round as well.
    http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/pos...steelers-today

Well, cause we have Ike Taylor and then a bunch of unproven guys. That, plus there might be some very very good CBs to be had at 24 or worthy of trading a little bit for, it kind of makes sense. That said, I too believe that we have some young and very promising guys at CB who I'd like to see in action before we should draft more. Plus the obvious glaring needs at other positions should be prioritized accordingly.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

personally i wouldnt mind janoris jenkins, i wouldnt imagine he would be the pick though. Gilmore has great potential but hes a second round guy to me and we could get minnifield in the second or third. gilmores footwork is awful

id take dre and try him at corner, but hes a FS to me.

Jenkins>Joe Haden when they were at florida, he could go on any WRs hip and really open things up for the defense

My Mood
    Roflol
    CB in the first round is an interesting thought, but I wasn't aware of the trade the Steelers made to move up to the get Claiborne.
    Fear da Beard

I don't always post, but when I do its on SteelerAddicts.com

Sponsered by the following:
    Cookies, Air, TP

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    The more the league continues to be 'pass happy' the greater the need for top corners and not just on the corner either. As Steelers' fans we all know the importance of corners who can cover slot receivers. I don't think we'll go CB in the first, but I'd be shocked if we didn't draft one at some point.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

Draft Pick
    I just don't see the Steelers taking a chance on Jenkins. Kicked out of Florida, a few arrests, a failed drug test or two and the baby mama drama of 4 children all by the age of 21.

Thread Information