Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: We neeeeed Poe

Bookmark and Share
    Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar

We neeeeed Poe

Let me give you my arguments on why we really need this guy.

1. In our division, one of the things that got the Ravens close to us is when they got Ngata. I hate to say it but Ngata has been a force for them ever since they got him. Ngata has protected Ray Lewis and allowed Lewis to extend his career by continually allowing Lewis to roam and make plays. Poe could do that for us and allow us to keep Farrior as LB but at a lower salary. Poe can make our linebackers better !

2. Because of our lack of push up the middle, defenses have focused on Woodley and Harrison off the edges. If we could get our push up the middle and Poe draw the double team, this would allow Woodley and Harrison one on one opportunities and make our overall pass rush effective again. Let's face it, our pass rush hasn't been as potent the last couple of years as it was previously and if we want to help our secondary, we need that pass rush to protect the secondary.

With him being so dominant, the havoc he could cause would also allow Troy to roam and make plays too! As you can see, Poe can help us in a world of areas defensively if we got him at the nose tackle position. Now I do think we need to upgrade behind him even if we got him. But this guy could make the difference for us in winning or losing the division this coming season.

With his combine going so well, do you see anyway we can get Poe?
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

He'd look badass in B&G but it's not gonna happen after his combine...
    "Happy Happy Happy"

i honestly think playing him at nose would be a waste....ngata is a HELL of a NT and was a great NT prospect but he plays at DE for a reason. Poe would move all over our line and while hes not really the protoype NT (6-5 is tall) he would be a distruptive force. if we got him the line would be DIRTY no matter who was the combination.

that being said, he wont make it past KC now...could see him going even higher

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Mike Martin from Michigan in the 3rd/4th round.

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    Let me give you my arguments on why we really need this guy.

2. Because of our lack of push up the middle, defenses have focused on Woodley and Harrison off the edges. If we could get our push up the middle and Poe draw the double team, this would allow Woodley and Harrison one on one opportunities and make our overall pass rush effective again. Let's face it, our pass rush hasn't been as potent the last couple of years as it was previously and if we want to help our secondary, we need that pass rush to protect the secondary.

You're a bit off base here. QB's are getting rid of the ball faster than Woodley and Harrison can physically get to them. THey don't even need a full block a simple chip gives them enough time. IF you don't believe me there are interviews out there where they talk about not blitzing as much because qb's are getting rid of ball.

With his combine going so well, do you see anyway we can get Poe?

He looks great in weight room, but there is almost no footage of him playing. There has to be a reason that Memphis only shows his workout highlights and not game tape. I just don't see the Steelers taking that big of a risk with their 1st round selection.
    Last edited by strummerfan; 02-28-2012 at 12:02 PM.

My Mood
    Sunshine
    I think there's a good chance he's still there at 24. His combine workout wasn't a surprise to the scouts they knew he was strong , fast and athletic. All that doesn't change the fact that he's still a raw talent. Poe will be judged by his game tape not his workout. And remember I wanted Poe before he was the popular choice
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

knowing he was big and athletic doesnt mean knowing he was THAT big strong fast and athletic. He put on a show, he won the combine and left scouts dazzled. He might be raw but he plays a position that doesnt include a tough transition from college to pros. If BJ raji went #9, poe is potentially a top 5 talent (wont go top 5, but i would gladly welcome him to the top 5 on my big board) Luck, Richardson, Kalil, Claiborne, Poe.

My Mood
    Manic
    He did so well at the combine teams will take him even if they don.t need him KC will go Oline before poe

dont know about that...decastro will be enticing but they could get osemele, washington, zeitler in 2....they need a NT to really make tyson jackson, allen bailey, and glenn dorsey maximize their ability in a 34 and they dont have much faith in jerrell powe it seems.

Poe, Jackson, Dorsey, Bailey, Hali, Flowers, Berry, d. johnson and justin houston would be just dirty

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    I'm not too worried about what KC will do because even if Cassell is their starter, they will have an eye on Tanenhill if he falls to them. And a runningback is also high priority for them too. But the Chargers would probably take him.

I guess the point I'm getting after is we need to be dominant on the D-line again. And I just see Poe getting us started in that direction.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Thread Information