Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can the Steelers offensive line be a power blocking machine again?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Question Can the Steelers offensive line be a power blocking machine again?

Was reading through another thread here on the site and came across this part of an article that talked about the Bengals possibly being interested in DeCastro. An ornery, mauling offensive guard, he is an ideal fit in the Bengals man-power blocking scheme.

It got me thinking how back in the Cowher years, the Steelers line was known as a bone crushing, power blocking, hat on a hat, bust you in the mouth offensive line. Granted they had Jerome Bettis to block for and an offense that featured the run, but still, it was an offensive line to be feared most of the time. They could trap block or do whatever was needed to get the job done.

Then you fast forward to the modern day Steelers line and you wonder where it went wrong. The lack of attention to drafting quality players was a big reason. Finally Tomlin and Colbert started addressing this unit with Maurkice Pouncey and Marcus Gilbert recently, but the work is far from done. Power run game or not I long for the days of an offensive line that was the envy of the league. Not the biggest, the fastest, or the strongest but always one of the toughest.

Konz is a beast

i still remember when we were a trapping machine !!!

My Mood
    Ornery
    Quote Originally Posted by acero View Post
    i still remember when we were a trapping machine !!!
    Trapping was an art form with athletic linemen...Kolb, Davis, Pinney, Mullins, and of course Webby! I loved the game as it was played in the 70's....
    The Tradition Continues!!!

My Mood
    Addicted
    I can remember back in Cowher's day every lineman it seemed was either a #1 or #2 round pick. However, with that being said, I think one of our most under-rated lineman of that era was John Jackson (later round pick).

I think a key to any line is continuity to allow them to gell into a solid cohesive unit. The past few years we have had more than our share of injuries on the line. Didn't we start something like 9 or 10 different combinations at O-line last year.

I just hope we can get a solid group out there that can remain healthy.

C-town

Veteran
    This is a great year to bring the line back to some kind of quality. I think they will go after one fairly high and then another in the mid rounds. I'm hopeful we'll come out of this draft with someone that can start immediately and someone to add depth to the line and maybe even a 7th round guy who's a project that they could try to mold.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    John Jackson, one of the last great LT's the Steelers had other than Max Starks (depending on how you view starks). I think he was very underrated as well.

I would hope, other than LT and Center, there should be an all out competition at all the starting spots on the line. Let everyone fight it out and see who wants it bad enough. No more of this veteran incumbent crap, or not having enough depth to even have a training camp battle without knowing who's already going to win. If you want to go young on the line then do it and let them grow together.

My Mood
    Manic
    The problem is many of the prospects look like Jackson and turn out like urbik

Tomlin has no idea how to build a good o-line, let's hope some input from Haley and his line coach changes that..
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Tomlin has no idea how to build a good o-line, let's hope some input from Haley and his line coach changes that..
    Plus we never have extra money to get a FA for a gaping hole like the OL has. Not asking to go FA crazy, but when you see a big problem.. Fix it... A FA OT and two guards in the 1st and 3rd rounds.. NT in the second. ILB in the 4th.

Thread Information