Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does Dontari Poe stack up against some of the nfl's best NT/DT (college stats only)

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Manic

How does Dontari Poe stack up against some of the nfl's best NT/DT (college stats only)

DONTARI POE- 35 GAMES 30 STARTS (FOR MEMPHIS) 101 TACKLES 57SOLO 22 FOR A LOSS 4 FORCED FUMBLES 4 PASSES DEFENDED 5 SACKS

CASEY HAMPTON-37 GAMES 37 CONSECUTIVE STARTS(FOR U OF TEXAS) 329 TACKLES 177 SOLO 9 FORCED FUMBLES 56 QB HURRIES 1 SACK 19TH PICK IN RD 1

HALOTI NGATA-26 GAMES(U OF OREGON) 107 TACKLES 17 TACKLES FOR A LOSS 7 SACKS (7 BLOCKED KICKS) SPECIAL TEAMS 1 SAFETY 12TH PICK RD1

ZIGGY HOOD-36 GAMES(MIZZOU) 107 TACKLES 28 TACKLES FOR A LOSS 49 QB HURRIES 8 SACKS

32 PICK RD1

IF THIS WAS ALL THE INFO YOU HAD DO YOU THINK HE IS WORTHY OF A 1ST ROUND SELECTION ?

My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    DONTARI POE- 35 GAMES 30 STARTS (FOR MEMPHIS) 101 TACKLES 57SOLO 22 FOR A LOSS 4 FORCED FUMBLES 4 PASSES DEFENDED 5 SACKS

CASEY HAMPTON-37 GAMES 37 CONSECUTIVE STARTS(FOR U OF TEXAS) 329 TACKLES 177 SOLO 9 FORCED FUMBLES 56 QB HURRIES 1 SACK 19TH PICK IN RD 1

HALOTI NGATA-26 GAMES(U OF OREGON) 107 TACKLES 17 TACKLES FOR A LOSS 7 SACKS (7 BLOCKED KICKS) SPECIAL TEAMS 1 SAFETY 12TH PICK RD1

ZIGGY HOOD-36 GAMES(MIZZOU) 107 TACKLES 28 TACKLES FOR A LOSS 49 QB HURRIES 8 SACKS

32 PICK RD1

IF THIS WAS ALL THE INFO YOU HAD DO YOU THINK HE IS WORTHY OF A 1ST ROUND SELECTION ?
    Poe isn't the classic NT however I believe we need more DLineman NT & 5tech. He would be a good 5 tech. Although its said that The Steelers like a long ( Aarron Smith type) 5tech and the best selection in the first round would be a Michael Brockers or Dont'a Hightower who can play ILB,OLB & 5Tech.

My Mood
    Manic
    I posted this mostly in his defense because all the so-called experts are saying the tape is average on Poe but noone knows what players can do till they get to the big leagues.I would love to see him in a Steelers uniform but it won't happen even if he is availible at 24

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    He's got the size and power to be a solid NT for a long time but filling the shoes of a guy like Hampton, even coming out of college, well he's got a long way to go. If his pro day wasn't as stellar as it was, would they even be talking about him being a top 15 pick?

all these alabama players in the top 32, are they all really gonna pan out in the nfl.

1 konz
    2 brooks
    3 NT
    4 RB

My Mood
    Manic
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyRob68 View Post
    Poe isn't the classic NT however I believe we need more DLineman NT & 5tech. He would be a good 5 tech. Although its said that The Steelers like a long ( Aarron Smith type) 5tech and the best selection in the first round would be a Michael Brockers or Dont'a Hightower who can play ILB,OLB & 5Tech.
    Long 5 tech's how do you explain Ziggy Hood he looks like a volkswagen

hes a 34 NT by size only at this point, hes not one in the traditional sense, but he is a dlineman in that he could play all over the line and collapse the pocket. Stats are useless when evaluating him, he was literally the best player on memphis...one of the least talented football teams in the nation, they lines him up where he would be most effective which changed all the time and wasnt always at NT. The idea of NTs taking up space so others can make plays only works when you have other play makers.

he would be a lineman that could line up all over the place and cause mismatches...not the typical steeler NT, and not the typical steeler 5 tech....but neither is mcclendon, woods, or hood.

Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    all these alabama players in the top 32, are they all really gonna pan out in the nfl.

1 konz
    2 brooks
    3 NT
    4 RB
    ive dropped konz a little bit unless they really plan on playing him at C, im not a big fan of him at guard. but im a huge fan of pouncey at guard so idk

My Mood
    Manic
    THEY WILL NEVER DRAFT Konz to play Center so he is off my board .he's not a guard

I wonder why he went to Memphis .Judging by his Major grades aren't an issue.I can only imagine if he went to Alabama or LSU somewhere like that
    Last edited by connecticutsteel; 04-10-2012 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    THEY WILL NEVER DRAFT Konz to play Center so he is off my board .he's not a guard

I wonder why he went to Memphis .Judging by his Major grades aren't an issue.I can only imagine if he went to Alabama or LSU somewhere like that
    Hometown team, it was a real recruiting gem for them. He turned down some other offers from big schools (ohio state, LSU, ect) and some people use the argument that (based on his memphis tape) he wouldnt have even started at those schools, i passionately disagree. Those schools crank out dlineman and have excellent coaching and weight training. Imo if he was an LSU tiger hed be a top 5 pick easily by now, but going to memphis did hinder his development, not because of shoddy coaching but because of a lack of talent around him

Thread Information