Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Round: Mark Baron, Safety, Alabama ?????

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Lightbulb 1st Round: Mark Baron, Safety, Alabama ?????

SO says the Bleacher Report's latest Steelers mock. Here's the whole draft.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ft-4912/page/2

1st Round: Mark Baron, Safety, Alabama

Butch Dill/Getty Images
    What? I'm crazy? Hear me out.

The Steelers are going to draft the best available player at one of their biggest positions of need. Translation: They are NOT going to be drafting either the offensive or defensive line in the first round of the draft.

Don'ta Hightower? Sure, a lot of Steelers fans would like to think this is the route the Steelers are going to go, but that simply isn't a need at a position where the player (Hightower) is at the top of the Steelers draft board.
    Hightower may become an amazing player, but that would mean that either the Steelers wasted a pick on Stevenson Sylvester, or either Hightower or Sylvester are going to be on the bench for a few years, simply because we know that Lawrence Timmons is a lock as one of the starting positions.
    That leaves the Steelers secondary.

Troy Polamalu is an all-world player. He is a first ballot Hall of Fame lock, and he has changed the way that the safety position is played. Problem is, he is on the wrong side of 30, and even though he has not slowed down, the risk of injury is certainly there.

Then you have Ryan Clark, who also is on the wrong side of 30, and hits players with the reckless abandon of a missal. The problem with that is, one serious injury, and his playing days could be over.

weeks ago i would have been completely opposed, now im not too sure though. The man is talented and i do hate clark

My Mood
    Addicted
    I am not sure they go safety #1, at least not this year. I think we squeeze another year out of Mundy, Troy, Rolle, Clark, and Brown.

The 2013 draft is being hailed as the year of the safety, with 7 or 8 safeties ranked to get drafted in the first round.

We need help at O-line, D-line, and ILB this year before going safety.

C-town

you can talk this one up. but he will not see #24 or we would talk about him more. We need Kalil.. But that is a waste of breath too.

Its hard to judge some of these bama defenders since they are all so good....some are making more impact and some are benefiting. I like baron, i like baron a lot more than lester. I think hes a POSSIBLE pick but unlikely.

I kinda think they like cortez at FS long term, baron could play either i think. I thought they liked crezdon butler at FS too so what do i know lol

Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    you can talk this one up. but he will not see #24 or we would talk about him more. We need Kalil.. But that is a waste of breath too.
    i have him as a fringe first round player, would not be surprised at all if he was there at 24. Hes my number 2 safety in a weak safety class (his team mate kirkpatrick is #1 for me)

My Mood
    Manic
    I agree with KTrain we should wait till next year to see if tez or mundy advance their skills

and Clark can't play in colorado so if we see the broncos in the playoffs which is likely now with manning he has to sit i gotta think that if he was in he wouldn't have made the wrong read like mundy did oh well that was last year
    Last edited by connecticutsteel; 04-09-2012 at 01:24 PM.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I wouldn't put it past the Steelers to buck the conventional thinking, they do it quite often on draft day. I know this draft is deep with offensive lineman, especially early but man I don't know about taking a Safety this high. Even as good as Baron is I can justify several other positions than this one.

Going middle linebacker early isn't the norm but considering they took Timmons several years ago and he was planned to be in the middle from the start, Hightower is still the obvious choice for me.

Konz for me, guard and backup center in one pick. we needed a backup center two years in a row now.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Hightower!

I m sticking with him, but who knows, I only got 1 pick correct last year (Cortez Allen).

C-town

Thread Information