Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Colbert and Tomlin to be equals with Draft Strategy / Personnel

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07025/756692-66.stm

There'll be no change in the chain of command at Steelers HQ
    Thursday, January 25, 2007

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers' power structure will not change with the hiring of a young head coach, according to team president Art Rooney II.

The role of Kevin Colbert as director of football operations will be no different with Mike Tomlin as head coach than it was under Bill Cowher.

"No, we don't see that role changing," Rooney said. "Kevin has been a key part, a critical part of our success the last few years, and the way he's done his job is outstanding and we hope he continues to approach it the way he has."

It long was speculated that Cowher acquired more say in player personnel matters after the Steelers fired Tom Donahoe as their director of football operations in January 2000, and hired Colbert for that job a month later, a theory the Rooneys dispute. Although Donahoe pushed for the Rooneys to hire Cowher as their coach in 1992, the two grew apart so much that the owners decided eight years later it no longer was a good working relationship.

Cowher, at a Jan. 5 news conference to announce his resignation, thanked Colbert publicly for giving him a "second wind."

Colbert joined Art and Dan Rooney, the team's chairman, in a three-man committee to pick a new coach. Colbert pushed hard for the Steelers to hire Tomlin, who turns 35 in March. Colbert, who turns 50 Monday, will be on equal footing with Tomlin, neither his boss nor his underling.

"On our organizational chart, they're on the same line," Rooney said, "The same way it was with Bill. Organizationally, it works well, and we have no plans to make changes in that regard."

It's up to Tomlin and Colbert to work together on such decisions as which free agents to pursue; which of their own players to sign to new contracts, to release or allow to leave in free agency, and which players to draft.

"We're going to approach it the same way," said Colbert, who flew with Tomlin on a private jet Tuesday to Mobile, Ala., for Senior Bowl practices. "We talked about how we do things and our ideas on it.

"Mike's comfortable with that. Of course, as we go through -- and, as he said, learn each other and learn what we like and what we need to do -- I'm open to ideas. We all have to get better and learn and grow.

"The core values are there. I think we have the same values. Now, it's a matter of going through the process for one year and figuring out what we like and don't like and what's going to best serve us in the future."

Rooney reiterated a club draft philosophy he and his father long proclaimed, that it's not one man making the decisions.

"We look at it as a team decision and come together. The key is preparation. We don't expect to be in the draft room and have arguments, we expect that to happen weeks and weeks before draft. On draft day, we're always prepared."

The new coach said that suits him fine.

"The one thing that turned me on about this organization is that it's a collective effort with how we do things," Tomlin said. "Nothing is heaped upon one specific person. I look forward to working with Kevin on personnel matters and I'm excited about that, I really am."

Im hoping Tomlin can breathe some new life into our drafting this year and in the future. We have a good track record with our day 1 picks being solid contributors on the team, but our day 2 draft picks in recent history have really not panned out at all.

I just hope Tomlin can get all his ducks in a row before draft and find out exactly what the Steelers need to further improve their player personnel. I'm on the fence with this, one part of me thinks Tomlin should just sit back and let Colbert handle it this year and he just give minimal input but the other part of me says it's good because it gives Tomlin an awesome chance to start and build the team to his liking

Reppin' 724
    Good to hear, I didn't really think they would let him sit idly by as the draft came and went.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Well the Steelers used to do well in the late rounds of the draft. Since 2004 the late round picks have been horrible. Plus take account that Colbert has been part of the drafting of these bad picks in the late rounds. Maybe a fresh opinion will do the trick.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    That's my thinking too, our day 2 picks lately have stunk up the joint so a breath of fresh air like Tomlin and a new perspective might help get us back on track. If this is Mike's team now then he's got to be instrumental in who we draft.

Thread Information