Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Haley completely throwing out Arians' playbook, almost

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Lightbulb Haley completely throwing out Arians' playbook, almost

We all knew Todd Haley was going to bring in his own playbook, his own offense, and then mesh them together with what the Steelers want to do.

How will Ben handle this new offense, do you think there will be some growing pains? Knowing the Steelers, they don't completely change their philosophy on offense or defense, regardless of the candidate. However there will still be some changes and things to get used too, and that will challenge everyone.

PALM BEACH, Fla. -- Ben Roethlisberger has a new coordinator, a new playbook and a new language to speak Steelers offense with his teammates.

At age 30, Roethlisberger must learn a completely new system for the first time in his nine-year career. How he takes to that task could signal the success or failure of Todd Haley in Pittsburgh.

Since his rookie season in 2004, Roethlisberger has had nothing but a succession of in-house coordinators -- Ken Whisenhunt and Bruce Arians -- each of whom maintained the offense of his predecessor with some modifications.

Haley will throw out Arians' playbook in favor of his own, with one concession: He will keep line coach Sean Kugler's blocking schemes.

Such a move with a new offensive coordinator helped quicken Chuck Noll's retirement as a coach. He hired Joe Walton as offensive coordinator in 1990 and Walton installed his offense, which included new terminology. Quarterback Bubby Brister did not embrace the change and that filtered down to his teammates and ultimately led to a dysfunctional offense, and, after two seasons, Noll retired rather than make another change at the coordinator's spot.

Haley's new offense needs Roethlisberger's total commitment, and head coach Mike Tomlin believes that will happen.

"I think the more those two guys work closely, they will get an understanding of who they are, what their desires are from a professional standpoint, and I don't expect any issues in that regard," Tomlin said. "Through my experience with both men, I anticipate them getting along great because both men have a desire to be great at what they do, both guys are singularly focused on winning championships for the Pittsburgh Steelers. And that is a great place to begin."

The coaches are not permitted to work with the players until April 16, and Tomlin said the new playbook will not be introduced before then. He does not believe anyone will have trouble learning Haley's system or the terminology that goes with it.

Full article from the PG
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 03-29-2012 at 08:56 AM.

Now we know why Ben was so pissed! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL I love you Haley!!

FBA!!!

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Now we know why Ben was so pissed! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL I love you Haley!!

FBA!!!

This isnt exactly news, Haley said this was going to happen at his 1st press conference.

Quote Originally Posted by strummerfan View Post
    This isnt exactly news, Haley said this was going to happen at his 1st press conference.
    60% of your most recent posts are you quoting me, or replying to mine. Do you want my junk bro?

<3 this is awesome

Draft Pick
    60% of your most recent posts are you quoting me, or replying to mine. Do you want my junk bro?
    Good lord man, it's a message board it's used for conversation. You made a comment regarding the topic and I commented on it. Perhaps you think your some wealth of football knowledge and once you've spoken everyone else should refrain commenting as well, but that's not the way it works.

My Mood
    Devilish
    Quote Originally Posted by strummerfan View Post
    Good lord man, it's a message board it's used for conversation. You made a comment regarding the topic and I commented on it. Perhaps you think your some wealth of football knowledge and once you've spoken everyone else should refrain commenting as well, but that's not the way it works.
    i think what he is referring to is your perceived focus on him in particular across the breadth of several threads. such things do make one wonder if junk is what youre after.

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by Deviouz1 View Post
    i think what he is referring to is your perceived focus on him in particular across the breadth of several threads. such things do make one wonder if junk is what youre after.

You both are assuming I pay any attention to who actually made the post. I read threads and comment as I see fit. If I've quoted him some perceived inordinate number of times it's purely by coincidence. Perhaps the two of you spend your free time trolling interstate rest areas and that mindset has spilled over onto this message board. Of course now if I ever quote you in the future you'll make up some scenario where its really just a ruse to get after your junk.
    Last edited by strummerfan; 03-29-2012 at 01:48 PM.

Rookie Free Agent
    This actually could be an issue within our offense and I could easily see this becoming a problem. I was more convinced Ben would embrace Haley when the talk was the offensive terminology was similar. Now that Ben has to learn a completely new offense.... that could be an issue. Ben's greatest attribute has always been his physical skill... I'm not sold on his mental ability. I mean.... just look at some of the dumb **** he's done in the past. I hope Ben can learn fast... but I'm not confident.

im not worried about ben learning, he was good enough as a rookie and not knowing much at all. now hes grown into the position, he may not be the hardest worker in the film room but he has unreal ability and lays it all out on the field.

this will be good, its not like we are changing the philosopy completely to a different scheme and need ben to do things hes never done before

Thread Information