Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JollyRobs mock draft

Bookmark and Share
    2nd String
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    You just nailed why Hightower will be the pick if he is there at 24 and its he can play so many positions in the Steelers defense.....I wasn't for drafting defense early at all since the NFL is such an offensive driven league now......I think the Steelers could just plug players in on defense and be fine but the Steelers will always be a defensive minded organization and the pick will be Hightower.......Can't argue with the pick at all but you know me Train get me more weapons for Ben or draft an OL....lol
    exactly why he shouldn't be ... even with farrior on a huge down year , harrison and woodly being out multiple games , the D was still a top ranked D ... We need more offense weapons, at the TE position ...

and you have sylvester ... you have to give him a chance... what if you draft hightower and pass up on somebody that can create major mismatches on Offense like FLeener ... when you don't know what you have in Sylvester , doesn't make sense to me

adding Fleener just makes the offense much more better then adding hightower makes the D better ...

just saying

2nd String
    Wallace, Brown , Miller, Fleener , and then add sanders to that ...makes the offense that much better ...and he's a big target that ben been wanting ... and much better for the running game to run out of double TE ... also remember miller did get a big contract extension in 09 and with our cap troubles ... Fleener makes Miller expendable next year or at least to reconstruct his contract ... in order to pay ppl like wallace and brown (pretty sure he's a free agent next year)

harrison, timmons, sylvester , woodly ... that's not to bad , not a dire need at ILB , especially when you don't know what you got in sylvester yet

My Mood
    Manic
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrunn View Post
    same things Nigel Bradham does with a 3rd round maybe second round cost .... i don't see that much of a drop off between Hightower to Bradham ...
    wow that's like saying cube steak is the same as new york strip steak because they come from acow

My Mood
    Fine
    I look at Hightower this way. He can be our Terrell Suggs! He can play ILB,OLB and his natural growth & weight would make him a 5 tech. He's going to be a MONSTER.
    I understand the thought of taking Fleener because Heath is in the last year of his contract and we need another/Future TE.
    This was my main reason for wanting someone to sign Wallace. We could fix whats broken.

As far as the two LB's I've mentioned. Sign them both and sign Cotchery NOW. If someone goes after Wallace then they go after him.. I'd be pro active and call the Rams ABout alternate compensation (its within the RFA rules)for those TWo 2nds & Roger Saffold or 2 & 3 plus Saffold.

exactly why he shouldn't be ... even with farrior on a huge down year , harrison and woodly being out multiple games , the D was still a top ranked D ... We need more offense weapons, at the TE position ...

and you have sylvester ... you have to give him a chance... what if you draft hightower and pass up on somebody that can create major mismatches on Offense like FLeener ... when you don't know what you have in Sylvester , doesn't make sense to me

adding Fleener just makes the offense much more better then adding hightower makes the D better ...

just saying
    We don't really need more TEs right now. When/if Saunders return we have 3 capable TEs. I very much doubt that we'll need more than that. If Wallace and Cotchery returns we have 4 very capable WRs, we don't really need more than that. You could argue that a RB would make sense, but there most likely wont be any RBs who could warrent a 24th pick. Same goes with DT. Meaning there is LB, CB or OL. Amongst those 3, ILB is most likely where you'd find the best value in Hightower. I think Glenn will be gone at 24. I would not mind picking Konz, butI think I like Hightower better.

Sylverster has shown very little when given the chance at ILB. He is a monster at ST, but I would not want him to be my starter. Look at what happened in Phili last year when they started a bad ILB...

What I'm trying to say is that we have some pretty good TEs already. Miller is arguably a solid top 10 TE in the league. It would be a luxury Steelers hardly can afford at this point to pick another TE when the team has so many glaring needs.

Also, we don't even know how much TEs will be used in Haleys new system. There is also no point in adding more weapons to the offense if Big Ben spents most of his time on the back because the o-line couldnt block anything to safe their lives.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

My Mood
    Frustrated
    Wallace, Brown , Miller, Fleener , and then add sanders to that ...makes the offense that much better ...and he's a big target that ben been wanting ... and much better for the running game to run out of double TE ... also remember miller did get a big contract extension in 09 and with our cap troubles ... Fleener makes Miller expendable next year or at least to reconstruct his contract ... in order to pay ppl like wallace and brown (pretty sure he's a free agent next year)

harrison, timmons, sylvester , woodly ... that's not to bad , not a dire need at ILB , especially when you don't know what you got in sylvester yet
    How about no? How about better blockers that can actually do their job? Just because you are in love with the Patriots TEs doesn't mean we need to copy them! Thank you Bruce Arians for destroying what works by getting rid of the FB in our offense so that we can control the clock and want to be like New England!

2nd String
    we don't have any TE like Fleener , the guy is 6'6 ran a 4.4-4.5 and has great hands and maybe one of the best rout runners this year along with being able to block decent ... that's what you call a match up nightmare ... i love miller but he is not a match up nightmare and saunders really come on now ... if Fleener was a WR with them work outs and the production he has he'd be a top 15 pick ...

has nothing to do with New england .. it has to do with getting Ben a mismatch nightmare that will help out the offense more then hightower will help the D
    like i said the D was still a top lvl D last year with multiple players being injured ... no matter how bad you think there back ups were or are they were a top rank D ... DON'T THINK I CAN SAY THE SAME FOR THE OFFENSE...ranked 12th in total offense and 1st in total D...this ground and pound doesn't work any more why can't ppl realize the NFL is changing and you need to change with it ... or be left behind ... the sky's the limit with fleener on the offense, with hightower on the D what were still the #1 ranked D ... hmmm

lol oh well just my opinion...you can say how much hightower will be a beast or monster but i just don't know how you can disput the facts of even with ppl injured and no matter how bad you say there back ups were they were the #1 ranked total D...and you can't say that for the offense at ranked 12 in total offense

also i agree you need lineman but your going to take one in the second ... there nobody will be left for the first pick .... and i think with more maybe quick passes ben will get sacked less, adding a weapon like fleener opens up the offense for quicker passes or deeper passes the sky's the limit with a weapon like that on this offense ... the oline isn't as bad a ppl make it out to be ... yes it's bad but it's not flat out horrible , ben creates some of these sacks on his own trying to hold for the big play ...

and i noticed against denver last year in the playoffs ... they were in shotgun and he was still taking a 3 stop drop???? ... that's giving the DE advantage central ...
    Last edited by cbrunn; 03-30-2012 at 10:27 AM.

You are talking about a defense which ranked high last year. The same defense which just lost a bunch of starters and is pretty much in a rebuilding mode, even though the Steelers refuse to call it that. This is a team which wants to win the game on the defensive side of the ball, and that is not going to change. Obviously, no one is saying that having more good TEs would be bad, but the pick would be illogical at this point. As mentioned multiple places already: This team has many glaring needs all over the field. TE is not one of them. And even if we agreed that we could use another TE, that would not warrant using a first round pick on one right now. This is how I believe the drafting priority looks right now:

OL > ILB > NT = RB > CB = DE = OLB = WR (depending on FA) > TE.

Also, don't you find it a tiny wee bit ironic that you say: Saunders... please - and then say that Sylverstor should be our starting ILB? They are pretty much in the exact same situation. Both look good on ST, but have proven very little on the field. I would actually claim that Saunders has done more for the offense than Sylvestor on defense.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

2nd String
    i've watched saunders miss multiple catches last season when he was on the field ...
    also is sylvester isn't the answer you still have foote which won't do any worse then farrior ...but i'd rather give sylvester a shot ,yes

what starter did we lose?? ... farrior , smith, gay , and hamton cause of injury for like half the season ... farrior sucked last season he missed plenty of tackles last season, sylvester can't do any worse then he did ... smith didn't even play and we picked DL these past couple years in heyward and hood , time for them to step up , gay as he played much better last season we have other young CB that need to step up ... no way is this a rebuilding period , they been preparing for this as much as you don't like to see it that way... all the LB they been taking, heyward and hood and brown and allen, they been preparing for this ... just cause the names change don't mean it's rebuilding

now you don't pay ben like 10 mil a year , or whatever his contract is i know it's elite QB money , you don't pay somebody elite QB money to be a game manager in a ground and pound offense ... you give the man weapons and let him work
    Last edited by cbrunn; 03-30-2012 at 12:53 PM.

Yeah because as of right now, Big Ben is merely a game manager, and adding another TE would change that entirely. Wallace, Brown, Cotchery, Sanders and Miller... If you can mention 5 teams with the same potential at their receiving core I'd be impressed. Obviously, we don't know whether or not Wallace will be here, neither do we know if Cotchery will, but as of right now this offense is pretty stacked with weapons Ben can throw to. That was never the issue. The issue was that Ariens couldn't call a game to save his life, and Big Ben could not get more than 2 second in the pocket before he had to run for his life. Adding another TE is not going to change anything at all in that regard.

As for the defense, sure you "only loose" Farrior, Smith and Gay. All three were the unquestioned leaders on that defense. While some disregard that kind of importance I do not. Yes, Farrior did not have as many tackles last year, but he still knew how the defense worked. You have no proof whatsoever that Sylvestor can fill those shoes. It is just a huge gamble. Foote is a solution, yes, but only a very temporary one.

Also... You watched Saunders miss catches? That is hardly the point is it? If that reasoning were to be a legit point, Fleener would have to have a perfect record which he hardly have. Hell I watched Vernon Davis drop multiple passes per game at times last season and I wouldn't exactly question his ability. I'm not trying to compare neither of the two with Saunders cause that would not be fair, but I am trying to convey that TE, in my mind, is a very luxury pick for this team right now, one which they hardly can afford.

Thread Information