Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JollyRobs mock draft

Bookmark and Share
    hes not just a huge downfield run stopping MLB, he can cover, has great football smarts and best of all is relentless as a pass rusher which negates any coverage issues.

will he be able to cover jimmy graham and gronkowski 1 on 1? no, but name me 2 LBs who can?

My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrunn View Post
    I don't like hightower , because the NFL is changing, yes he a huge ILB a beast at stopping the run... but what about pass coverage?? ...and also i mean give Sylvester a chance , He might do good and then you don't need a ILB and can use that pick on a weapon for Ben or depth at some other position...take a LB later in the draft like Nigel Bradham or James Michal-Johnson, that will give depth and competition for Sylvester ...

Our offense has the ability to be very very potent ...just missing maybe another weapon at say the TE position that can create major mismatches ...

Just my 2 cents though
    I also agree with you. They could also sign RFA Larry Grant tendered a 7th and David Hawthorne from Seattle for serious Competition. I'd draft Hightower as a future replacement for Harrison.
    As for what Hightower would do on 3rd down? RUSH THE QB

2nd String
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    hes not just a huge downfield run stopping MLB, he can cover, has great football smarts and best of all is relentless as a pass rusher which negates any coverage issues.

will he be able to cover jimmy graham and gronkowski 1 on 1? no, but name me 2 LBs who can?
    can't we get a pass rushing DE/OLB later in the draft just as good?? ... where was harrison drafted what about woodly??? ...i just don't think you spend a 1st round pick on a position that can be drafted later in the draft with just as good as results

2nd String
    Quote Originally Posted by JollyRob68 View Post
    I also agree with you. They could also sign RFA Larry Grant tendered a 7th and David Hawthorne from Seattle for serious Competition. I'd draft Hightower as a future replacement for Harrison.
    As for what Hightower would do on 3rd down? RUSH THE QB
    i like the Hawthorne idea .... unfortunately i don't think we have the money at all ... i think any money we do have we need to retain wallace at a reasonable price ... he opens up the field for ppl like brown and sanders to work ... even if his numbers start to drop from here on out ... some of brown and sanders numbers should be contributed to wallace

Quote Originally Posted by cbrunn View Post
    can't we get a pass rushing DE/OLB later in the draft just as good?? ... where was harrison drafted what about woodly??? ...i just don't think you spend a 1st round pick on a position that can be drafted later in the draft with just as good as results
    hes just got it though, he is a great football player. Woodley was a second round pick, harrison took 5 years to make a team. But when they got hurt the steelers were crippled at OLB, timmons didnt play well there and worilds blows. Hightower fills the hole at MLB (farrior was a first round pick for similar reasons of versatility and football smarts, along with ridiculous speed for his size) and while hightower will make his home at MLB in the 34, he can kick outside and play DE in a pinch as well.

not much to not like about him in the scheme the steelers run

2nd String
    hes just got it though, he is a great football player. Woodley was a second round pick, harrison took 5 years to make a team. But when they got hurt the steelers were crippled at OLB, timmons didnt play well there and worilds blows. Hightower fills the hole at MLB (farrior was a first round pick for similar reasons of versatility and football smarts, along with ridiculous speed for his size) and while hightower will make his home at MLB in the 34, he can kick outside and play DE in a pinch as well.

same things Nigel Bradham does with a 3rd round maybe second round cost .... i don't see that much of a drop off between Hightower to Bradham ...

thats an insulting comparison.

might as well say wellll instead of taking cordy glenn in round one lets just go with rokevious watkins in the 5th because they are about the same size and play the same position. if nigel bradham was as good as hightower hed be ranked up with hightower. i think bradham is an ok player, but the difference between a great player and an ok player is about 3 rounds

2nd String
    and the difference between needing a great ILB to a ok ILB that can play multiple positions ...and having 1 other great players or "starters in waiting" as the steelers like to say ... i think I'd rather have a great TE weapon , i love heath but he's not the same and he's not a great threat, other teams don't go in the game worrying about the mismatches heath creates ... on a farrior down year and harrison and woddly missing multiple games our defense was still a top ranking D ... i think Sylvester can give you the same production farrior did last year ... and bradham can turn into a quality starter after a couple years and play multiple positions ...

and you give yourself a mismatch nightmare TE in the first...i liked the idea of taking Fleener in the first ... and still have quality D players maybe not "great" if thats what you call them... but them not "great" players still played on a top ranking D ... i just don't think ILB is that big of a need to address the first round with, especially with not giving Sylvester a chance yet
    Last edited by cbrunn; 03-29-2012 at 06:27 PM.

2nd String
    another idea i had is if harrison smith would fall to us in the 2nd ... pick him up as a 3rd down ILB and then free safety of the future ... and then go guard in the 3rd with brooks or maybe potter

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad

You just nailed why Hightower will be the pick if he is there at 24 and its he can play so many positions in the Steelers defense.....I wasn't for drafting defense early at all since the NFL is such an offensive driven league now......I think the Steelers could just plug players in on defense and be fine but the Steelers will always be a defensive minded organization and the pick will be Hightower.......Can't argue with the pick at all but you know me Train get me more weapons for Ben or draft an OL....lol

Thread Information