Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Media still talking about who hired Haley; Tomlin responds

Bookmark and Share
    Super Moderator Mean Linebacker's Avatar
    My Mood
    Blah

Media still talking about who hired Haley; Tomlin responds

I find it somewhat funny that people are still talking about this now. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised since Tomlin has been so quiet since the offseason started and the media loves to stir up old drama...

WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. — Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said today at the NFL owners meetings that team president Art Rooney II did not order him to fire former offensive coordinator Bruce Arians.

"I hired (new offensive coordinator) Todd Haley as well, which is your next question, which is a funny one to me," Tomlin said this morning at a media breakfast with AFC coaches. "Don't get me wrong. Art Rooney owns the football team. He can do what he wants but those directives did not happen."

Tomlin spoke publicly for the first about the Steelers' messy transition at offensive coordinator following a Jan. 8 playoff loss in Denver.

Tomlin said on Jan. 9 that he expected Arians to return for a sixth season as the Steelers' offensive coordinator, and Arians had planned to return in 2012. The Steelers later forced Arians into retirement, and they hired Haley, whose father helped build the teams that won four Super Bowls in the 1970s, on Feb. 7.

The change from Arians, who has since taken the job as the Indianapolis Colts' offensive coordinator, to Haley sparked speculation that Rooney had ordered or at least pressured Tomlin to make the move.

"I don't know where some of these perceptions come from," Tomlin said. "I don't break my neck to combat them in any way."

Tomlin said he decided that the Steelers needed to shake things up after they finished tied for 21st in the NFL in scoring (20.3 points) despite having a 4,000-yard passer in Ben Roethlisberger and a pair of 1,000-yard receivers in Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown.

"I'm not going to apologize for change," Tomlin said. That's football and I think all of this in this industry understand that. Bruce served us well and was a really good football coach but I thought it was time for change. Change is never comfortable or easy but we all embrace that. We moved into a situation where we had an opportunity to grow and develop some young talent offensively."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...#ixzz1qKF5AQUb

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Nice to see him actually talking to the media for once without having to be forced into doing so by the league or the team.

This is old news but you knew the media would be bringing it up if they were able to catch him at the owners meetings. I still say the Rooney's had some influence in this decision, but that's just me.

What is the messy part?? He didnt have a contract. it was easy to release him. Dont give him a new contract. Wow..

Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    What is the messy part?? He didnt have a contract. it was easy to release him. Dont give him a new contract. Wow..
    Exactly, who give an F what the media thinks, BA should of been canned three years ago!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Screw the media. They think their the end all to be all. That story is dead.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

My Mood
    Roflol
    The media in this country for the most part just want to stir the pot for their own aganda. Most of us Steeler fans WANTED BA gone and yet the media won't let it go. BA is gone Haley is in ..... MOVE THE F ON MEDIA. I can't wait till the draft gets here so the stooges that report on the team might have something to talk about. Now don't get me wrong their are some very good guys who cover the Steelers. I'm talking about the Mike Florio's of the world. Let the haters keep hating, and the Steelers will just keep shining the trophies and giggling under their breathes.
    Fear da Beard

I don't always post, but when I do its on SteelerAddicts.com

Sponsered by the following:
    Cookies, Air, TP

Veteran
    There's no news here. Move on.

Rookie Free Agent
    I'm glad the media cares so much! all I really care about is moving forward... as I believe the Steelers do as well. The media will do anything to drub up some kind of story. Tomlin, Ben and Haley will be awesome in 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by FeelSteel View Post
    Tomlin, Ben and Haley will be awesome in 2012.
    I really cant wait for this offense to play its first preseason game. Give me 1 qtr right now...

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    They will ride this for as long as they can. If Haley struggles early I'm sure there will be questions in the Tomlin pressers about how things are different from when BA was here. We might as well get used to it.

Thread Information