Proposed Rules Changes
- Giving the replay official in the booth the authority to determine replay outcomes, rather than the referee on the field.
- Modifying the horse-collar tackle rules to remove the exception for quarterbacks in the pocket.
- Applying the postseason overtime rule to the regular season, meaning no team can by kicking a field goal on its first possession.
- Adding a loss of down penalty for illegally kicking the ball.
- Making 'too many men in the huddle' penalties a dead-ball foul.
- Modify the 'defenseless player' interpretation to include players who receive 'crackback' blocks.
- Replay Official will initiate reviews of certain "turnovers" throughout the game. Expands reviewable plays to include the on-field ruling of a runner out of bounds when the recovery of a fumble occurs in the action following the fumble, and the on-field ruling of an incomplete pass when a backward pass is recovered in the action following the backward pass.
Proposed Bylaw Changes
- Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day on a day other than Sunday, will be customary business days for the purpose of Player Personnel transactions.
- Moving the trading deadline to the Tuesday after the eighth weekend.
- Increase the offseason roster limit to 90 players.
- Eliminate first preseason cutdown to 75 players if roster limit remains at 80.
- Permit teams to return to their Active List one player who is placed on Injured Reserve after their first regular-season game.
- Gives the team an additional roster spot for a player who has been diagnosed
with a concussion.