Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers sign WVU's Will Johnson

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Steelers sign WVU's Will Johnson

Will Johnson is reaping the benefits of hard work and perseverance Monday, having signed a contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers just days after impressing scouts at West Virginia University's Pro Day.

On Friday, the former Mountaineer receiver and tight end showed off the results of months of training both in the weight room and on the field. His workout was such a success that he received a special visit when it was over before he even left the Caperton Indoor Practice Facility.

It came from Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin and general manager Kevin Colbert.

"When I got done running my routes, I was over there talking to [Tomlin] and he wanted me to keep it a secret so the other teams didn't know," Johnson said as he traveled back to North Carolina from Pittsburgh. "They said they liked what I did, they liked how I look and they wanted to bring me up and sign me."

This was no ordinary scout. The head coach and general manager, the two individuals with the most control over personnel decisions, wanted Johnson on their team.

He had just finished benching 225 pounds 30 times – the most anyone put up all day – and an agent on site clocked him at 4.49 seconds in his 40-yard-dash, though he never got an official time from the scouts on hand.

His routes were crisp and even had former teammates buzzing about how well he was performing. Anyone who knows Johnson would have first been struck by how jacked, for lack of better words, he appeared. He attributes much of his progression to the work he's put in with the popular CrossFit workout regimen.

From http://m.wvillustrated.com/

From BRC's DROID X of Awesomeness
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 03-19-2012 at 07:09 PM.

Rookie Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Will Johnson is reaping the benefits of hard work and perseverance Monday, having signed a contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers just days after impressing scouts at West Virginia University's Pro Day.

On Friday, the former Mountaineer receiver and tight end showed off the results of months of training both in the weight room and on the field. His workout was such a success that he received a special visit when it was over before he even left the Caperton Indoor Practice Facility.

It came from Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin and general manager Kevin Colbert.

"When I got done running my routes, I was over there talking to [Tomlin] and he wanted me to keep it a secret so the other teams didn't know," Johnson said as he traveled back to North Carolina from Pittsburgh. "They said they liked what I did, they liked how I look and they wanted to bring me up and sign me."

This was no ordinary scout. The head coach and general manager, the two individuals with the most control over personnel decisions, wanted Johnson on their team.

He had just finished benching 225 pounds 30 times – the most anyone put up all day – and an agent on site clocked him at 4.49 seconds in his 40-yard-dash, though he never got an official time from the scouts on hand.

His routes were crisp and even had former teammates buzzing about how well he was performing. Anyone who knows Johnson would have first been struck by how jacked, for lack of better words, he appeared. He attributes much of his progression to the work he's put in with the popular CrossFit workout regimen.

From http://m.wvillustrated.com/

From BRC's DROID X of Awesomeness
    He can make a difference.....speed at this position is really needed!!
    LEGEND!!

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Seems like a good signing. Kid obviously is a hard worker so he should fit in to our work ethic.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Mr. Saunders, it has been nice knowing you; we have some nice parting gifts for you...

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison92 View Post
    Mr. Saunders, it has been nice knowing you; we have some nice parting gifts for you...
    Maybe Johnson not Saunders

The Mountaineers did a lot of position changing over the offseason. Will Johnson went from wide receiver to tight end and has shown himself to be a force catching passes, Brandon Hogan went from slot back to cornerback and is battling for a starting job; and Bradley Starks moved from quarterback to wide receiver and is expected to provide a deep threat.

Will Johnson'S transition into a talented hybrid fullback, H-back and tight end has made him one of the most important players on the WVU offense.

I like Saunders talent and potential, but am concerned whether or not the Steelers wil lsend him packing because of the 4 game suspension. If he gets his head screwed on straight and stays out of trouble, I think he can be a real asset in the passing game. Of the 2, I'd rather keep Saunders and let D. Johnson go.

My Mood
    Impatient
    Quote Originally Posted by Harrison92 View Post
    I like Saunders talent and potential, but am concerned whether or not the Steelers wil lsend him packing because of the 4 game suspension. If he gets his head screwed on straight and stays out of trouble, I think he can be a real asset in the passing game. Of the 2, I'd rather keep Saunders and let D. Johnson go.
    His suspension was for unregistered ADHD medication. The Steelers will forgive this offense.

sent from my Evo using tapatalk

My Mood
    Addicted
    He does exactly what David Johnson does, hopefully he does it better...

Quote Originally Posted by cmerrifield View Post
    His suspension was for unregistered ADHD medication. The Steelers will forgive this offense.

sent from my Evo using tapatalk
    Oh cool, good to know. Hopefully he sticks around and makes an impact once he gets on the field.

My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by CLEVELANDSTEEL View Post
    He does exactly what David Johnson does, hopefully he does it better...
    They keep saying Johnson weighs 245. Hell NO he's a good 285 at the start of the season and closer to 300 by the end. If Johnson can hold 300lbs make him a guard. We know he can pull.

Thread Information