Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Darren Perry Resigns.. Damn!

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Our CB's playing off on the defensive players was more scheme usually than anything else. I hated seeing them give a 5-10 yd cushion all the time but more often that not it was the design of the certain play as much as it may have been us not wanting to get burned because we were busy rushing a safety up in the box to stop the run or blitz.

I look forward to seeing what Tomlin and Lebeau come up with together and I fully expect Ike to regain his form and work opposite mcfadden in 2007.
    I don't agree with the scheme being the reason TG. Our CB's played off the ball all the time. I think they were trying to keep them from getting burned while we blitzed and hopefully got pressure. What I never understood is why not hit the WR in the 1st 5 yards when blitzing? It disrupts the timing of the QB and WR and you would think make it harder for a QB to find and open guy with the blitz coming. We also played zone a lot which sucked! How many times on 3rd and long did we not get to the QB and they would hit someone wide open for a first down? Our D is amazing when we get pressure but horrible when we don't.
    I could be wrong on all this. It's just how I have looked at our D over the years.
    Comments?

Quote Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
    i guess i don't see the same db's play that y'all do lol

Just what I expected!
    aushqf4

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan View Post
    What I never understood is why not hit the WR in the 1st 5 yards when blitzing? Comments?
    I agree on that.....make it tough for the WR's to get into their route and screw the timing routes up. If you "smack" a receiver in the mouth and get into his head he won't be worth a **** the rest of the game. He'll get frustrated which will lead to mistakes and turnovers for the defense.

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    I agree on that.....make it tough for the WR's to get into their route and screw the timing routes up. If you "smack" a receiver in the mouth and get into his head he won't be worth a **** the rest of the game. He'll get frustrated which will lead to mistakes and turnovers for the defense.
    The Steelers did that to the Colts in the play-offs last year.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Just shows you how much more they should do it.

My Mood
    Mad
    I agree.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Exactly

If you donít stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Heck the way I see it is this... I don’t know why more CBs don’t do it… whether you plan on jamming the WR or not, ALWAYS line up in press coverage. First, this always takes away the QB’s option of throwing a quick out to the WR, especially on screens and short-yardage. Second, if you do jam the WR (and don’t miss), the timing pattern will be destroyed (as mentioned already). The problem with the jam is if you miss the WR and the CB has no safety help up top, you’re toast. Third, you can still line up pressed, but then right before the snap, you can drop back (if you’re too tired to jam the WR or afraid you’ll get burned).
    So, I didn't mind at all that Perry left, our secondary has been too soft and needs some fire... sorry, but they need to be more physical (except Polamalu, he's already great).
    Last edited by 58Lambert; 01-25-2007 at 03:44 PM.

A ton of thanks goes to both HouseOfSteel and TopGun for my cool avatar and sig!!
    Thanks also to BlacknGoldBleeder for referring me to this site.

Reppin' 724
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    The Steelers did that to the Colts in the play-offs last year.
    Peyton still roasted our DB's for 290, and yes I realize he WAS picked once even though it was taken back. The real reason the Colts lost was b/c they never got the running game going, b/c our Offense got up early. They had 56 yars or so, on like 12 carries. This was probably Peyton's fault though since he calls his won plays (they give him 3 plays to choose from and he picks one). The colts YPG last year was about 110 on the ground.

I never really liked DP as a coach, as a player, he was one of my favorites, but our secondary has been a weakness for too long now. With as high as a lot of us are on guys like Ike, McFadden, and even Colclough at one point, you gotta think mayeb this is a coaching problem. I'm hoping a cover 2/3-4 scheme will help us out.

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Stillers#1 View Post
    Peyton still roasted our DB's for 290, and yes I realize he WAS picked once even though it was taken back. The real reason the Colts lost was b/c they never got the running game going, b/c our Offense got up early. They had 56 yars or so, on like 12 carries. This was probably Peyton's fault though since he calls his won plays (they give him 3 plays to choose from and he picks one). The colts YPG last year was about 110 on the ground.

I never really liked DP as a coach, as a player, he was one of my favorites, but our secondary has been a weakness for too long now. With as high as a lot of us are on guys like Ike, McFadden, and even Colclough at one point, you gotta think mayeb this is a coaching problem. I'm hoping a cover 2/3-4 scheme will help us out.
    Remember early on in that game the Steelers DB's jammed Marvin Harrison alot and that threw the timing off between him and Peyton. Yes I know Peyton still threw for 290 yards. But when your lossing 21-3 as the Colts were at one point in that game you're going throw the ball to catch up. Most of Peyton's yards game with about 3 minutes left in the 3rd quarter and the 4th quarter. What I'm saying the Steelers stopped jamming and didn't blitz as much until late in that game when the Colts creeped back in it.

If the Steelers defense wouldn't have called off the dogs I doubt that game would have been as close.

Thread Information