Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hines Ward released!

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Exclamation Hines Ward released!

According to multiple reports via twitter today from @albyox and @KDPomp and the Steelers official twitter, they have released Hines Ward!

Official statement from the team

“We had a conversation today with Hines Ward and informed him that we plan to release him of his contract prior to the start of the 2012 NFL calendar year,” Steelers President Art Rooney II told the team’s website, Steelers.com. “Hines has been an integral part of our success since we drafted him in 1998 and we will forever be grateful for what he has helped us achieve. He has meant so much to this organization, both on and off the field, and we appreciate his efforts over the past 14 years. Hines’ accomplishments are numerous, and he will always be thought of as one of the all-time great Steelers. We wish him nothing but the best.”

Ward was originally drafted by the Steelers in the third round of the 1998 NFL Draft out of Georgia. He spent 14 years in Pittsburgh and became the team’s all-time leader in receptions (1,000), receiving yards (12,083), receiving touchdowns (85) and 100-yard receiving games (29). Ward is the eighth player in NFL history to reach 1,000 career receptions and joined only Hall of Famer Jerry Rice as the only two players in league history to post 1,000 career catches and win multiple Super Bowls.

Ward was the MVP of Super Bowl XL after leading the Steelers to a 21-10 victory over the Seattle Seahawks. He posted a game-high 123 receiving yards on five receptions with one touchdown.

The Steelers’ 2008 Walter Payton Man of the Year, Ward was named to four Pro Bowls (2002-05) and was a member of the team’s 75th Season All-Time Team.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 02-29-2012 at 07:01 PM.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Thanks for the hard work and memories Hines!! It's a business, fans have to get used to it.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Addicted

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the united steeler nation.
    And to the franchise for which it stands. One nation of domination
    With the ability to crush you all.

My Mood
    Addicted
    sucks...on the upside, there's $4mil in cap space...

My Mood
    Addicted
    p.s. i'm NEVER changing my avy

Draft Pick
    Can't say that I'm surprised, but I'll certainly miss that smile and those bone crushing blocks.

My Mood
    Roflol
    Sucks ....he was one of my fav Steelers on the team...I met him once outside that Japanese Resturant down on the strip...nice guy. It is what it is though.
    Fear da Beard

I don't always post, but when I do its on SteelerAddicts.com

Sponsered by the following:
    Cookies, Air, TP

My Mood
    saints-hater
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    According to multiple reports via twitter today from @albyox and @KDPomp the Steelers official twitter, they have released Hines Ward!

Official statement from the team

“We had a conversation today with Hines Ward and informed him that we plan to release him of his contract prior to the start of the 2012 NFL calendar year,” Steelers President Art Rooney II told the team’s website, Steelers.com. “Hines has been an integral part of our success since we drafted him in 1998 and we will forever be grateful for what he has helped us achieve. He has meant so much to this organization, both on and off the field, and we appreciate his efforts over the past 14 years. Hines’ accomplishments are numerous, and he will always be thought of as one of the all-time great Steelers. We wish him nothing but the best.”

Ward was originally drafted by the Steelers in the third round of the 1998 NFL Draft out of Georgia. He spent 14 years in Pittsburgh and became the team’s all-time leader in receptions (1,000), receiving yards (12,083), receiving touchdowns (85) and 100-yard receiving games (29). Ward is the eighth player in NFL history to reach 1,000 career receptions and joined only Hall of Famer Jerry Rice as the only two players in league history to post 1,000 career catches and win multiple Super Bowls.

Ward was the MVP of Super Bowl XL after leading the Steelers to a 21-10 victory over the Seattle Seahawks. He posted a game-high 123 receiving yards on five receptions with one touchdown.

The Steelers’ 2008 Walter Payton Man of the Year, Ward was named to four Pro Bowls (2002-05) and was a member of the team’s 75th Season All-Time Team.
    It's a shame it had to come to this but in the end it's simply a move that the Steelers had to make. Thanks for the memories Hines and all of the big games you helped the Steelers win while leading them to 3 Super Bowl appearances and 2 Super Bowl titles...

Yes, this is a business decision and I understand it.... but it still sucks.

You'll always be one of my favorite Steelers, Hines.

Thanks for all you've done for the Steelers and best wishes in your future.

"Here's an idea! Don't worry about sports and run the ****ing country!!!" - PsychoWard to Obama

My Mood
    saints-hater
    Hopefully he doesnt sign with the Ravens or within the division...

Thread Information