Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colbert says no more player cuts coming for now, talks about cap situation

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Exclamation Colbert says no more player cuts coming for now, talks about cap situation

Ed Bouchette tweeted up today that Kevin Colbert said they had no cap room to franchise Mike Wallace, which is what we all knew anyways. Colbert mentioned that they feel good about where they are with the salary cap right now and that for the time being no more player cuts are forthcoming.

After the recent cuts of Farrior, Smith, Kemo, and Ward they shaved enough to get around $10-$11 million below the cap as we know but I would suspect more restructures are on the way if they want to tender offer their RFA's this week and expect to have any room left. Hampton and Polamalu still have to be some of the top choices for a restructure at some point.

Should they not do so, then not all of the RFA's are getting offers that much is clear.

Ed Bouchette ‏ @EdBouchette Colbert says #steelers didn't have cap room to use franchise tag

#steelers GM Kevin Colbert: "We feel good where we are from cap standpoint."
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 03-05-2012 at 06:19 PM.

Cut Hampton. I would be hesitant to restructure too many more contracts as doing so is like borrowing from Peter to pay Paul. I know these contracts are not guaranteed money, but unless the salary cap explodes in 2013 and 2014, Steelers might be in trouble. Hampton is done after next year anyway and he is coming off ACL surgery - why are they keeping him around?

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison92 View Post
    I know these contracts are not guaranteed money, but unless the salary cap explodes in 2013 and 2014, Steelers might be in trouble.
    That's what the Steelers are counting on: The "new money" from the TV contracts take effect in 2014. This year the cap will flat-line or take a dip, with a little bumo next year (estimated 5 million) then explode in 2014 with a (estimated 12-17 million) jump in 2014.

Besides: The contact that are being restructed, are of younger players, the Harrison, T.P, Clark, Hampton ap hit are high, but they are not projected to be with the team in 4-5 years.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Hampton is kind of a unique situation in that he has a high cap value and he's older, plus with Hoke gone there isn't much left at NT so they'll keep him I would imagine. If they cut Casey, they literally have nobody on the roster at NT other than McLendon. Either way I would hope they'll use a high draft pick on a NT.

I wouldn't mind seeing them restructure mainly because of how much they can free up. The TV deal money is going to be there basically with an extra $3 billion in revenue for the league so they cap should go up enough that they'll be able to handle it. In theory at least.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Hampton is kind of a unique situation in that he has a high cap value and he's older, plus with Hoke gone there isn't much left at NT so they'll keep him I would imagine. If they cut Casey, they literally have nobody on the roster at NT other than McLendon. Either way I would hope they'll use a high draft pick on a NT.
    They literally have no one but McLendon anyway. Hampton will be out for much (if not all) of the season. Considering his cap savings and the significant player that money could bring back in FA, it makes no sense to keep him.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolrog View Post
    They literally have no one but McLendon anyway. Hampton will be out for much (if not all) of the season. Considering his cap savings and the significant player that money could bring back in FA, it makes no sense to keep him.
    the doctors are probably calling for a quick return. Like Smith came back real quick..

where is thaddeus gibson anyways?

My Mood
    Addicted
    I love big snack, but with his injury and us needing some cap space, I'd like to see them cut ties with him

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    FWIW, Colbert also mentioned in the interview with Bob Labriola he wouldn't rule out more personnel moves depending on what the cap number is. That should be released within the next week or so.

do you trade out harrison and sign......

Coming soon to a defense near you?

Houston's Mario Williams is one of many players who could be changing teams now that the NFL's franchise tag deadline has passed. Get a rundown, plus highlights of all Tuesday's news. Read

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    As much as I want to address the O-line (and I really, really do) I think now we need to take the best NT we can get either in the draft with our first pick, cut Hampton and then find a back-up who's adequete but cheap too. Hampton's money is too big to warrant us keeping him.

If he wants to remain a Steeler then he takes a massive pay cut and should be used in a back-up role. He's hurt all the time and clearly on the decline.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Thread Information