Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Harrison weighs in on the "bountygate" scandal

Bookmark and Share
    Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    I DO condon it. There legal hits. So what's the problem? Williams made bounty on players based on legal hits. This whole thing is much ado about nothing. Williams has done nothing wrong.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Yes football is about hard hits and intimidation and the players get paid to do it legally on the field. I am one of the biggest fans of defenses, i would rather watch a 0-0 game in double OT with guys getting laid out play after play. I miss the "jacked up" series they use to have, I miss the NFL of the 70's where players were hitting hard with no flags. Having said that, I don't condone a coach laying $500.00 on a table and telling his defense to go out there and intentionally hurt someone bad enough to where they get put out of the game. Incentive pay such as for forced fumbles, INT's, and sacks is fine but not for putting a player out of the game intentionally.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    Yes football is about hard hits and intimidation and the players get paid to do it legally on the field. I am one of the biggest fans of defenses, i would rather watch a 0-0 game in double OT with guys getting laid out play after play. I miss the "jacked up" series they use to have, I miss the NFL of the 70's where players were hitting hard with no flags. Having said that, I don't condone a coach laying $500.00 on a table and telling his defense to go out there and intentionally hurt someone bad enough to where they get put out of the game. Incentive pay such as for forced fumbles, INT's, and sacks is fine but not for putting a player out of the game intentionally.

Even without the pay, their intentions are to put players out anyway. So what's the difference? You have to learn to stomach that those guys out on defense want to put you out the game! That's the way the game has always been played! Ray Lewis put that KILL SHOT hit on Mendy in his first season TO put Mendy out the game....on purpose! Did Ray have a "bounty" out on Mendy..............NO! But that's what they do anyway.

You are talking like their paid to do it illegally. They are paid to do it within the boundaries of the legal rules of the game. And weather there is a bounty or not, that's what they all want to do and will do. No defensive player just wants to make the tackle, they want to deliver a hard enough LEGAL blow that puts you out the game.

It amazes me that Steelers fans (one of the hard hittingest teams in the NFL history) has a problem with defenses wanting to deliver kill shots on offensive players. Like it's something new. This isn't Arena football! This isn't under water basket weaving! This is football. And they way it's been coached and taught since the inception is for the defense to intimidate through pain!

Do you realize how sussified you proponents of this sound to Dick Butkus? Deacon Jones? Lawrence Taylor? Do you realize how your attitude is sisifying the game up???

Let me educate you on football for the last 100 years...........ALL DEFENSIVE PLAYERS WANT TO AND TRY TO PUT YOU OUT THE GAME INTENTIONALLY!! ALL OF THEM! REGARDLESS OF SO-CALLED "BOUNTIES"

This p**sy attitude that I"m hearing from Steeler fans (who'd have thunk it?) is part of the pussification of this country the last 20 years. So much so that now you want to make football into syncronized swimming or something.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post
    I DO condon it. There legal hits. So what's the problem? Williams made bounty on players based on legal hits. This whole thing is much ado about nothing. Williams has done nothing wrong.
    The problem is that when you encourage guys to injury in exchange for money then that leads you to hits that are no longer legal. The Saints-Vikes is the perfect example.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

Quote Originally Posted by SteelDad View Post
    The problem is that when you encourage guys to injury in exchange for money then that leads you to hits that are no longer legal. The Saints-Vikes is the perfect example.
    No it doesn't. That's just your opinion. All those hits that Farve took were legal. Bone jarring hits, but they were legal. Even after review, no one was fined.

This isn't anything NEW! This has been going on for decades. It does NOT encourage illegal hits at all. Because the money you lose in a fine faaaaaaaaaaaar outcedes the money you could possible win in a "bounty". These guys hit hard to put you out the game REGARDLESS of bounties.

Did the 49ers have a bounty out on Eli Manning in the NFC Championship game???? No. But Manning got hit like crazy because that is what defenses do. Period. Especially in the NFC Championship game. Like the Saints/Vikings championship game.

Brett Farve and Kurt Warner got their @sses whipped that year by the Saints because the Saints were too physical for them. All those Saints hits were legal and clean because no one was fined even after the film review. They were hard, bone jarring, legal hits.

Warner is still crying about the @ss whipping the Saints gave him like a little girl because Warner got so shell shocked from those last years with the Rams when Mike Martz left him exposed with those 5 wide reciever sets he ran. Ever since then, Warner has been making up excuses for football to wussify the game so QB's can't get touched.
    Last edited by Real Deal Steel; 03-06-2012 at 03:51 PM.

SA Member #27
    My Mood
    Ratbirds
    He's right. If the Steelers did this bounty system they would be banned from the NFL with their Super Bowl titles stripped. Any other team gets a free pass. The punishment for any of the other teams would be draft picks getting taken away.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Two different Saints players were fined for hits in that game.

I have absolutely no problem hitting the QB. Hitting him four steps after he has handed the ball off to a RB is bush league.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Quote Originally Posted by Forged in Steel View Post
    He's right. If the Steelers did this bounty system they would be banned from the NFL with their Super Bowl titles stripped. Any other team gets a free pass. The punishment for any of the other teams would be draft picks getting taken away.
    No question there is a strong bias against the Steelers. Not my point. I'm simply saying that if an NFL player needs the extra motivation of gaining a few extra bucks for injuring a player then go to WWE.

Football is already a violent game which I realize is being eliminated. As much as I hate what Goodell is doing to eliminate that part of the game I can't approve of guys being paid chump change to purposefully injure opponents.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

This has been going on in every team for years. Nothing new.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolrog View Post
    I'm surprised the NFL didn't try to cover it up, since it wasn't the Steelers caught (I'm only partially facetious with that.) Harrison is right though. There has been an apparent anti-Steeler bias by refs and the NFL. We see it in games where our guys get hit in the head and no call, but Harrison gets suspended because he tackled a QB trying to run.
    Well, there is an ongoing investigation and this investigation will impact the Steelers. The NFL will investigate all teams with ties to Greg Williams to determine if they had bounty pools in place. Williams' old teams include the skins. While he wasn't with Pittsburgh, they wear gold and black (the same color as NO). So, there is a tie to Williams. Now the league will investigate the Steelers and draw whatever conclusions it wants to. The report will conclude that Harrison's hits are proof of a bounty program and somehow we end up getting caught up in this one too.

Thread Information