Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Restricted Free Agent Tender projections

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    To me there is no clear cut answer to that that question. I could make a case for either one. It all depends on how the draft goes but there's no way I cut him before then; doing so forces your hand in the draft and the Steelers don't normally like to operate that way.

What if you cut Hampton and you miss out on Poe, Martin, and then Ta'amu, then you're royally screwed.

I would love to see them take 2 Guards in the draft this year, hell spend the whole draft on the offensive line but either way I'm just not convinced you can release Casey before training camp.

i still like the idea of making hood play NT, or even going into the year with mcclendon, woods, or anthony gray

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Bringing back Anthony Gray wouldn't be a bad idea at all depending on how the draft works out. I believe he had a workout with the Bills earlier this offseason but to my knowledge nothing has come of it yet.

Are you that confident in Hood as a NT though dude? I know you pretty much can't stand him at DE, LOL. As a temporary solution it could be doable but I don't know that I'd put him out there full time.

My Mood
    Clowns
    From what I read on twitter, we should find out what the 2012 cap number will be. This will give us a pretty good indication of how much they'll be able to tender guys like Legursky, Lewis, and the rest of the RFA's.

90 played nt fine. Woods is a hidden beast or bust right now.
    98 has a torn acl, we wouldnt see him till december along with mendy. we can't have them both on the roster like we did with smith and lose our youth.

Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    90 played nt fine. Woods is a hidden beast or bust right now.
    98 has a torn acl, we wouldnt see him till december along with mendy. we can't have them both on the roster like we did with smith and lose our youth.
    That is not true. ACL injuries take way longer for RBs than it does for NT and guys like that. Hampton MAY start on pup, but most believe that he should be ready to start in September.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Here's what Ed Bouchette thinks they will do with their RFA's. By the way we should find out who's getting tagged and who's not, sometime this weekend if not by Monday.

Mike Wallace – First-round tender, which could set up three separate dramas, one of which may not end until around this time next year. The first is whether another team will offer him a contract and whether Wallace will sign it. If he does, it sets up the second, whether the Steelers will match it (or if they CAN match it) or take the first-round pick. The third would occur if Wallace does not sign elsewhere, whether he and the Steelers can come to an agreement on a multiple-year contract or whether he plays the 2012 season for $2.742 million and becomes UFA next year.

Ramon Foster – Second-round tender. Normally, a starting guard would be worth a one-year $2.742 million but the Steelers are watching their pennies and an $800,000 savings is worth it in this case. He was not drafted, so the lower tender would bring no draft choice.

Doug Legursky – Second-round tender. Same reasons as Foster.

Keenan Lewis – Original round. Lewis would bring a third-round draft pick. If William Gay leaves, he would compete to start with Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown. It’s somewhat of a gamble and it’s possible the Steelers will drop the second-rounder on him too.

Ryan Mundy – Original round. Mundy would bring a sixth-round draft pick. As a backup, they cannot afford to pay him nearly $2 million.

David Johnson – Original round. Johnson would bring a seventh-round draft pick and it gets dicey here because they are so thin at tight end. Weslye Saunders, a rookie last season, is suspended for the first four games of the season. However, Johnson was used mostly as a fullback and they do have tight end Jame McCoy, whom they believe could handle that job.

Jamon Meredith – No tender, making him a UFA. They also are thin at tackle but they also could re-sign him because he’s not expected to attract much interest elsewhere..

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolrog View Post
    The point is what's the best use of that money (and we're talking about a sizeable chunk.) Is it paying Hampton on the PUP and hoping he only misses half the year, or is it going out and signing the top guard in free agency for the same money?
    Just coming back to this. With the Vikings releasted Steve Hutchinson, a 5-time first team All-Pro. He was scheduled to make 6.95 million this year (richest contract for a guard.) We could offer him Hampton's cap savings and solidify the line in one fell swoop. These are the kinds of choices we have (there are quite a few really good players that hit FA in the last few days. I'm not a big believer in posting them one by one, but when you get a top player at (arguably) the weakest position on the team, you gotta strongly consider it.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Hutchinson has been a top 3 guard in the league for a while now. I think at this point in his career he'd enjoy finally playing for a winner.

I'd love to add him, subtract Hampton and add Ta'amu from the draft. Give Hutchinson a two year deal while still drafting his ultimate successor in the first or second round.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Thread Information