Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ben on tweaking his game: I just need to stay healthy, that is it.

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Ben on tweaking his game: I just need to stay healthy, that is it.

Ben sat down with Teresa Varley for an interview on the steelers.com

One of the topics that was discussed was the now infamous tweaking of his game. When asked about it he replied that he feels he just needs to stay healthy and stay on the field so he can help them win.

Even though he didn't really say as much I have to think they talked about things that can be done to help him stay healthy besides just him working out and staying in shape.

At the risk of beating a dead horse, it's got to include him evolving his game and being open to change as well. Change in philosophy of the offense no matter how major or minor it may be.

From BRC's DROID X of Awesomeness

honestly thats all he needs to do, he was on fire last season before he got hurt

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    honestly thats all he needs to do, he was on fire last season before he got hurt
    Would be nice to see him throw it away once in a while instead of taking the hit, leading to a sack or even worse a fumble. There's no shame in that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolrog View Post
    Would be nice to see him throw it away once in a while instead of taking the hit, leading to a sack or even worse a fumble. There's no shame in that.
    IMO, I think that's exactly what he (Ben) was talking about.

My Mood
    Addicted
    off topic, can we not mention Theresa Varley ever again? Have you ever read her articles on steelers.com? Spelling and grammatical errors left and right...Her articles frustrate me

Quote Originally Posted by harpo View Post
    IMO, I think that's exactly what he (Ben) was talking about.
    Talking about throwing it away is easy.. ben in the game is another story. he will hold onto it... hes a gamer.

Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    Talking about throwing it away is easy.. ben in the game is another story. he will hold onto it... hes a gamer.
    Don't make me bust out the Tim Tebow song!

I think Ben just need to do what he does. At this point of his career we pretty much know what type of QB he is, and we also know it works. Sure, sometimes it would be nice if he threw the ball away instead of being molested by the entire d-line, but he is just not that kind of QB. When he succeeds, he is one of the best QBs in the league. When he fails and takes the sack he looks very mediocre. Ultimately, it leads to more big plays than not.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Quote Originally Posted by JensK View Post
    Ultimately, it leads to more big plays than not.
    He knows that and that is why he won't change.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

My Mood
    Mellow
    well, maybe, hopefully, our new offense will be predicated on him getting the ball out quicker so he doesn't have to hold on to it too long.
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I can't say we'll ever see a time when Ben will completely change. I also can't imagine him actually admitting that he needs to throw the ball away more or make quicker reads. He may elude to it but he's not going to admit he needs to change his game. At least I don't think so.

I would think that if he feels all he needs to do is stay healthy then that's fine. You better take even more seriously fixing his blockers and making sure receivers hold onto the ball.

I just don't understand this logic of not using more of a passing game like we see once in a blue moon against the Patriots. Sure he'll still get sacked now and then but his chances of getting clobbered into next week are reduced.

Thread Information