Thread: No "bounty" talk in a Dick Lebeau defense

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

No "bounty" talk in a Dick Lebeau defense

Unless you live under a rock, you can't help but be aware of the New Orleans Saints "bounty" investigation by the NFL's security department. The Trib's Mark Kaboly tweeted out a thought early this morning mentioning this very subject: @MarkKaboly_Trib: Something tells me that you don't have to worry about Dick LeBeau installing some kind of bounty program with the #Steelers. #JustSayin
    The program runs in violation of league rules, and the investigation showed that Saints players received $1,500 for a "knockout" hit and $1,000 for a "cart-off" hit, with payouts doubling or tripling during the team's three playoff appearances.

A memo sent to clubs throughout the league included a statement on how Saints linebacker Jonathan Vilma put up $10,000 cash as a bounty before a playoff game, a source familiar with the memo told NFL Network insider Jason La Canfora.

The memo also said Mike Ornstein, a noted marketing agent who has close ties to Saints head coach Sean Payton and has worked with him on projects in the past, put up money as a bounty at least twice.
    This could turn out to be bigger than spygate was if the investigation leads to other teams who may have taken part in an "incentive" program like this. Honestly I would be shocked if there weren't more that come out quite honestly.

I think it's a safe assumption with a team like the Steelers, owners like the Rooney's, and a coach like Dick Lebeau you won't see any such news coming out of Pittsburgh.

2nd String
    I would think so, but when it comes to the real world, one never knows.

I remember Suggs had a bounty out on some Steelers, and denied everything even though I do believe he had clearly made statements towards as much. I wonder how that would go over today?

My Mood
    Manic
    It's not bigger than spygate.It will be judged harsher than it because of all of the efforts to make the game safer.The patriots always get treated differently by the league because there owner is a big Goodell *** kissin brown noser.The uneven pattern of disipline is mindboggling.Big Ben was never convicted of anything and was suspended 4 games.While other players get DUI'S and beat theier wives or girlfriend and continue to play games. THE SAINTS WILL BE FINED NOTHING MORE . I say this not because they deserve only to be fined but because that is the precident that Goodell has set .the more i think about what the pats did it makes me wanna smash my pc they should have lost a bunch of draft picks and stripped of the super bowl trophies all of them.

My Mood
    Pimp
    good answer

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Terrell Suggs' suggestion that the Baltimore Ravens had a "bounty" on Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward and running back Rashard Mendenhall has gotten the attention of the NFL.

During the "2 Live Stews" syndicated radio show on Oct. 17, when he was asked, "Did you all put a bounty out on that young man [Mendenhall]," Suggs replied, "Definitely. The bounty was out on him and the bounty was out on [Ward] -- we just didn't get him between the whistles."

Also during the interview, Suggs called Ward "a dirty player" and "a cheap-shot artist. ... We got something in store for him."
    Ward, who appeared on "PTI" on Thursday, said the bounty talk is "a big honor."
    "I am really not going to comment," Ward continued. "But all I have to say to Mr. Suggs is there's a policy in the NFL [against bounties] he should read."

Ray Anderson, the NFL's executive vice president of football operations, said the league is looking into the comments.
    Mike & Mike On The "Bounty"

Terrell Suggs' comment about the Ravens having a "bounty" on Steelers WR Hines Ward and RB Rashard Mendenhall was a hot topic on ESPN Radio's "Mike & Mike In The Morning" on Thursday.

"That 'bounty' notion is completely against the rules," Anderson told ESPN.com. "To the extent that someone is engaged in that activity, we will look into it and address it. Yes, we've seen the comments and we're trying to determine the completeness of the circumstances." Mendenhall sustained a season-ending shoulder injury during the game on a hit by Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis. Wednesday, Suggs clarified his comments, explaining that the Ravens were merely planning to keep a close eye on Ward, according to The Baltimore Sun.

"There wasn't any bounty," Suggs said, according to the newspaper. "He [the talk show host] asked me if there was a bounty and I just said I'm going to keep a watch on the guy. He [Ward] broke some guy's jaw last week, and he tried to cheap-shot JJ [Jarret Johnson]. He has also cheap-shotted Ed Reed. We're just going to be on alert the next time we play him."

From ESPN
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 03-03-2012 at 04:55 PM.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    Hate to go there but it's true. There is favoritism in this league and Goodell can deny it all he wants to but it exists. We all know SpyGate was way bigger than we'll ever know and this probably is too.

Goodell will do anything to avoid scandal if he has the opportunity to do anything about it. It was done to protect Ray-Ray under Tagliabue and was done to protect the Pats.

Why else does Goodell always talk about 'protecting the game?' What he means is he is 'protecting the pocketbooks of owners.'

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Clark, never at a loss for words, had an interesting though on twitter...

@RealRClark25
    Whoever is snitching on the Saints D should be ashamed of themselves. No one was talking about the "bounty" when they got paid. #shame!

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    There are reports out now that there were bounties being paid while Williams was DC in Washington and when he was HC in Buffalo. As more and more info comes out, I think the Rams need to cut ties with him. Also, the NFL's security dept. has a 500,000+ page report of their investigation.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Thread Information