Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Early in season, here's my opinion....

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Ratbirds

Early in season, here's my opinion....

With Pitt under the cap by 10 million, here is what I think Pitt will do for the team roster:

They will resign Cotchery for 3-4 years at around 9-12 million. This gives them a solid #3 or #4 WR, in case Sanders is constantly hurt.

They will bolster their OL by signing OT Jared Gaither or OG Ben Grubbs (from Balt and pee them off) OR getting Carl Nicks of N.O. would be a dream!!
    another low cost value pick might be getting Kareem McKenzie still not sold on Colon at OT, tell him he plays guard or rides the INACTIVE Bench!!!

I am torn at CB I am NOT thrilled with K Lewis as a #2 or #3, HE PLAYS OFF TOO FAR!!!! Always allowing a 10 yard cushion...
    I'd love to see them sign Carlos Rogers of SF.... LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!
    Last edited by Callax; 03-03-2012 at 12:28 PM.
    Oakland, Where Careers Go To Die!!!!!

http://myxilplik.mybrute.com

http://tironne.mybrute.com

If we keep wallace we will have to do this somehow with the OL.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Callax View Post

I am torn at CB I am NOT thrilled with K Lewis as a #2 or #3, HE PLAYS OFF TOO FAR!!!! Always allowing a 10 yard cushion...
    I'd love to see them sign Carlos Rogers of SF.... LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!!

i think this is more of what he's told...b-fad and willie gay play the same way. i'm willing to bet that it's a lebeau thing more than a k-lew thing. i think lewis can do a fine job. he really stepped up his play this year....i see more improvement coming from him.
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Callax View Post
    He plays where the coaches tell him though. If he's too far back, the CB coach (Donnie Shell, no?) will tell him to press more.

There's not really that much money to play with yet. They are some 17.5 or so under the cap, but need 5 for draft picks plus whatever it takes to resign Wallace. The tender is about 2.5, the franchise tag is about 9.5. Figure his cost will be right in the middle (6 million.) So that's 11 million tied up, other steeler FAs to resign (plus some 20 other players needed on the roster), and only 6.5 million to do that (20 players at a 500K minimum would be 10 million right there, so we're still short around 3.5.)

There's not free money for other teams free agents just yet.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I would love to have Grubbs but if he can't come to an agreement with the Ravens he's probably asking for too much. Perhaps he gets pissed off enough that signs elsewhere for a reasonable amount but he's probably out of our price range. Assuming the restructure more deals, before or after they tender their restricted free agents which they'll almost have too I would imagine.

As far as Lewis, I think he'll be ok as the starter, the defense always has guys play off, unless your name is Ike Taylor. I want to see a free for all shoot out competition between between Lewis, Brown, and Allen for that spot.

Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    If we keep wallace we will have to do this somehow with the OL.
    I have a hunch Haley's plays will not take as long to develop so Ben "should" be getting rid of the ball sooner, hence the O-line should be more effective.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    I
    As far as Lewis, I think he'll be ok as the starter, the defense always has guys play off, unless your name is Ike Taylor.
    True, just wish they wouldn't be 10 yards off the WR on 3rd and 6.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    The Steelers won't sign Gaither, Grubbs, or Rogers.......

I think I see people name the big name FA's every offseason they want the Steelers to go after. The Stees DO NOT go after big name FA's. If this team is going to improve, the majority of it is going to be through the draft with some minor FA acquisitions. That's pretty much how it goes around here.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    No they won't go after these types of big names but we can dream right? I wouldn't mind seeing them go out and sprinkle in a decent free agent here and there to supplement a position. Another signing like Farrior wouldn't be a bad thing. They run so close to the cap though every year it's a pipe dream to think they'll ever be a big player even if they wanted too.

Thread Information