Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No franchise tag for Wallace, just first round tender says Schefter

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Arrow No franchise tag for Wallace, just first round tender says Schefter

The Steelers plan to place a first-round tender -- and not the franchise tag -- on restricted free agent Mike Wallace, a source close to the wide receiver told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter. By doing so, the Steelers leave themselves vulnerable to a team prying one of the game's best deep threats away. A team could front-load a contract offer, something the salary-cap strapped Steelers could have trouble matching, to Wallace and acquire him by giving a first-round pick as compensation.

Now as we know, Colbert said at the combine and before that they could still franchise him if they want. Perhaps they still will but I think they have enough indications that teams aren't going to go after him with big money now that they'll be ok. Plus they'll still get the right of first refusal.

all for it

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Just posted up an article on the homepage, no reason to franchise Wallace right now. There's too many other more accomplished receivers out there as free agents that will garner more interest than he will. the Steelers shouldn't have a problem keeping him.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Here's a hypothetical point,

If your the Rams, and after you get the boat load of picks from the Redskins or Browns, and you need a wide receiver, Wouldn't the Rams be smarter to give the Steelers that first round pick (pick # 6 oveall) for Wallace (known commodity) then to use it to draft Blackmon?
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

2nd String
    I am just hoping Haley finds away to use him for productively than Arians did (if we can manage to keep him). Maybe Haley does not want him? I bet he has some input, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post

If your the Rams, and after you get the boat load of picks from the Redskins or Browns, and you need a wide receiver, Wouldn't the Rams be smarter to give the Steelers that first round pick (pick # 6 oveall) for Wallace (known commodity) then to use it to draft Blackmon?
    yeah they would, especially since they want to stretch the field a bit more...blackmon isnt really a down field type. and for 6th overall id do it in a HEARTBEAT. 6 and 24 could land us decastro and glenn. our line would go from dismal to HOF quality

Quote Originally Posted by Speeed View Post
    I am just hoping Haley finds away to use him for productively than Arians did (if we can manage to keep him). Maybe Haley does not want him? I bet he has some input, no?
    i promise haley wont say WR screen, Wr, screen, reverse, end around, hey go deep

Quote Originally Posted by Real Deal Steel View Post

The Bears are going to get a WR in the first. It wont be Blackmon. So Wallace should look better. They are #19 i think.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    If the Steelers somehow, some way ended up sitting in the top 10 after giving up Wallace I'd be doing a happy dance all day long. They'd have the pick of just about any player they could ask for; Poe, Hightower, any offensive lineman other than Kalil.

I see Wallace gone, someone will snag him...
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Thread Information