Thread: Cotchery's agent talked with the Steelers at the combine

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Cool Cotchery's agent talked with the Steelers at the combine

Bringing back Cotchery for a say a 3 yr. contract would be the ideal situation for the Steelers if they can pull it off. Apparently Cotchery is ok with the role he'd have in Pittsburgh because he wants to come back and his agent says he's been talking with the Steelers.

The imminent release of Hines Ward should make re-signing Jerricho Cotchery one of the Steelers’ top priorities when it comes to their own free agents.

And Cotchery, who provides depth and experience at wide receiver, would love nothing more than to end his career with the Steelers.
    “Jerricho would very much like to be back,” said Jack Scharf, who represents Cotchery.

Cotchery told the Newark Star-Ledger as much last month, and Scharf said he had “productive talks” with the Steelers at the NFL Scouting Combine.

That doesn’t mean it is a given Cotchery will be back even though there is mutual interest between the eighth-year veteran and the Steelers.
    Cotchery should have an increased role in the Steelers’ offense if he returns, but he will only be a No. 4 wide receiver. Yes, I am assuming Mike Wallace is with the team in 2012, even though the Steelers won’t protect him with the franchise tag, and that Emmanuel Sanders stays healthy.
    Cotchery, an unrestricted free agent, could draw interest from other teams that can offer him a bigger role. Also, Cotchery, who turns 30 in June, is seeking a multi-year deal with the hopes that his next NFL contract is also his last one.

The Steelers have to decide how much of a commitment they are willing to make to Cotchery. Given their need for depth and experience at wide receiver and Cotchery’s desire to stay in Pittsburgh, it seems reasonable to assume that the two sides will work something out.

From Scott Brown at the Trib

If there is no more Ward, then they need to sign Cotch. He is a good receiver who is not afraid to go over the middle. Was often compared to a younger Hines Ward of 6+ years ago. That being said, he should be resigned - he understands and accepts his role on the team. He's not a big numbers guy; he just wants to win.

I like 89 a lot.... I'd say bring him back for sure!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

He knows how to get open.... and catch.

My Mood
    Addicted
    He'll be back...

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    "You hope that we get Mike back," Roethlisberger said. "I think Emmanuel is healthy, and we have Antonio. You have three really young guys.

"Without Hines, I think you have to do everything you can to sign Jerricho back. He's not only a veteran leader in that room but a really good player. I'd love to see him come back because he's a really good receiver and I like what he brings to the team.

"Another question is, do we have those four? All we have is Antonio and Emmanuel, technically only two. But if it's those four, I'll take that every day in the week."

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/12061...#ixzz1nvHOwDBN

Thread Information